Legalities of letting people download a mix/set-list of copyrighted tracks?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538
Legalities of letting people download a mix/set-list of copyrighted tracks?

Hey dudes. I made a playlist for my friends with various tracks by different artists, and I was wondering if it would be legal for me to provide free download of it.

Last edited by YoMyEX; 11-02-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Legalities of letting people download a mix/set-list of copyrighted tracks?

it's not legal, hosting it on soundcloud like that isn't legal either, you're distributing copyrighted wors without a license to do so. If however you have a license for each and every track from the relevant artist/label/distribution rights holder, then it's totally legal.

by no means am i saying you should or shouldn't do it though. just giving you the cut n dry of the situation
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
it's not legal, hosting it on soundcloud like that isn't legal either, you're distributing copyrighted wors without a license to do so. If however you have a license for each and every track from the relevant artist/label/distribution rights holder, then it's totally legal.

by no means am i saying you should or shouldn't do it though. just giving you the cut n dry of the situation
I see. Was sort of unsure because I've seen many dj sets of copyrighted tracks all over Soundcloud. Maybe they ALL have a license to distribute these mixes?

------------------
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Benwaa

nah do they fuck - i can speak from experience
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve
MC Status: -100230

I'm pretty sure if you mixed them together you can upload them. Because then you can more easily enter the realm of "i did artistic things to this blah blah"
The american fair use guidelines:
  1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

------------------
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to redblackwhite
twilitez (15-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
Miami Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackwhite View Post
I'm pretty sure if you mixed them together you can upload them. Because then you can more easily enter the realm of "i did artistic things to this blah blah"
The american fair use guidelines:
  1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
Yes, I did mix them together, and in many cases, adding fx that were not in the original recordings.

Still dont have a straight answer on this one, guys :/

------------------
Old 15-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

The key is defnitely in that fair use deal, i see everyone and their grandmothers posting sets without clearly visible disclaimers.
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Legally.. no. Unless you contact all parties.
But you'd have to be pretty unlucky, or insanely high profile to face the repercussions unless you're making money off it. Because like you said.. everyone is kinda already doing it and they can't sue everyone.
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEX View Post
Yes, I did mix them together, and in many cases, adding fx that were not in the original recordings.

Still dont have a straight answer on this one, guys :/
The straight answer is that a dj mix for which you have the contractual permissions of exactly zero of the included tracks copyright holders is a raging clusterfuck of copyright violations, for which you are highly unlikely to be prosecuted. The most likely scenarios for how it would play out is: You upload it and nothing happens -or- you upload it and Soundcloud pulls it for copyright infringement, and nothing else happens. Extremely unlikely worst-case scenario is still a statistical possibility, because it is still fairly clear-cut infringement, but the reason you are seeing so many mixes is because the statistical possibility that the mix you uploaded is going to result in a copyright infringement lawsuit is so small as to not worry the people uploading them. It has very little to do with those people assuring copyright compliance for their mixes, and everything to do with the nearly infinitesimal chance of getting caught.

Last edited by penguinoid; 16-09-2013 at 03:32 AM..

Advertisements

penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote