What is a good trade that goes with music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 20-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
What is a good trade that goes with music?

Well I was originally going to go to audio engineering school in Vancouver (Nimbus), but then I thought maybe it's wisest to do a trade so I could pay for it. But maybe not? I was thinking electrical (http://camosun.ca/learn/programs/ele...ogy/index.html), but then I was thinking how many times will I run into a situation where I will have to use these skills? Then I thought what kinds of situations would I run into that a trade in general would be handy to have?

Maybe I am thinking this all wrong. Maybe what I need to do is digital art, where artists are constantly needing logo's and album art done... Or maybe a website designer? Nah maybe not that because most people use social media platforms these days... Or not?

What do you think?

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 25210
Re: What is a good trade that goes with music?

I think the reality of digital art is that most small and mid sized companies with a brain are just going to use royalty free images or buy a library and photoshop something themselves. Good luck selling your logos for fractions of a penny.

Get a job outside of art, you'll likely end up paper pushing. The reality is that my best friend got a degree in computer science with a minor in mathematics, another close friend dropped out, and I got a degree in accounting near the top of my class. We all do pretty much the same thing now : whatever the people above us at the office think we won't fuck up and they don't feel like doing. Which means filing papers, sending invoices to customers, collections, and, if we're lucky, a few hours a week of what we actually signed up for when we started school. Pay is actually pretty variable, but that's more about who you know than how you did or what your degree is in. I make less than minimum wage in LA and I had the highest grades of us 3, but I'm a temp with an employment agency taking a cut of my pay because I didn't have the connections to find a job on my own and my friends did. (don't mistake this for complaining, this is just the way life has played out for me and I'm managing my finances accordingly).

If you like computers, do computers. But DO computers, don't half-ass it just to get a job or you'll end up like us. And for the love of christ don't try and do art, because I don't know about other people's experience, but I cannot get people to listen to my stuff if I PAY them.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (20-01-2018)
Old 20-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195710
Thanked 3,914 Times in 2,914 Posts

Become a Stripper? That goes well with Music..and you'll make serious money if you're good.

Seriously, what WN just said..but I'd also tag on that to make sure you do something you actually like..otherwise it will end up feeling like you're living in hell for the rest of your life, which doesn't help with being creative at all.

Don't try so hard to "do the right thing"..but, instead, do the thing that feel right and your life should, at the very least, be far more interesting. Remember, learning specific job skills in the hope you will be able to tie them into doing music or working in the music scene is no guarantee that you will end up doing that. As WN touched on, a lot has to do with the connections you have, just as much as it is about how good you are at what you do.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
liquid_air (21-01-2018)
Old 20-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
PostPone
Minor Glitch
PostPone is a name known to allPostPone is a name known to allPostPone is a name known to allPostPone is a name known to allPostPone is a name known to allPostPone is a name known to all
Sydney
MC Status: 628

Hey Dude,
I have worked as an Audio Visual Tech for 14 years (6 of them in Vancouver) and has always been somewhat complimentary to music. It is basically a trade but you don't do an apprenticeship, it's all just on-the-job and product training. There seems to be many people in Vancouver trying to get work as an audio engineer which makes it hard to get work and you end up getting coffees and dusting consoles.

Doing AV over the years I have learned electrical, wood work, metal work, audio engineering, video engineering, planning, construction, commissioning, project management, people management, system design, drafting, communications/conferencing, service, electronics, networking/IT, operations, the list goes on. Go and do any specific trade and you wont get near as much experience as that.

Not that doing a trade apprenticeship is a bad thing at all, it's definitely a good thing to learn. There is just more variation in AV, that's all. Plus it's a specialized line of work which means, with experience, it's pretty easy to get a job while traveling.

I've paid my dues, but I make a decent salary and barely do 8 hours of work most days. Which means lots of time for music production and money on the side for hardware.

------------------

PostPone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PostPone
Dhji (22-01-2018)
Old 20-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62360
Thanked 1,247 Times in 917 Posts

Many surgeons listen to music while operating and cracking jokes about your innards. Also, the job pays reasonably well, albeit job hours suck. Maybe a plastic surgeon? Then youíll have to talk to all sorts of folks with too much cash, unreasonable ideas, and a distorted body image. Maybe, to stay in a related field, become a butcher? I always thought that for those that can compartmentalize effectively, it could be a great outlet for personal issues and the quiet rage that eventually boils in everyone.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (20-01-2018)
Old 20-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

The world could use more qualified synth-technicians. At least that's what it looks like from here. With all the new modular systems and other hardware synths being sold at the moment, there should be plenty of repair/restoration-work for many years to come.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
Dhji (22-01-2018)
Old 20-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947181
Thanked 5,780 Times in 3,630 Posts

If you learn electronics and how to read and understand shematics, there's plenty of work in that field repairing, refurbishing and building gear if you advertise and possibly get some decent clients.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560530
Thanked 7,392 Times in 5,226 Posts

From the mouth of a guy who made a career out of something he loves doing: just choose something you figure won't be too soul-crushing and gives you some time and resources to invest into your love of music.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 171860
Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,054 Posts

... yeah don't do shit that kills your soul... or ruins your hearing.

Or both like PA tech in a week-long psytrance festival.

#SixDaysInGuantanamo
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
DoYouSeeWhatISe
Minor Glitch
DoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enoughDoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enough
New England
MC Status: 110

go be a bread baker
DoYouSeeWhatISe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 171860
Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,054 Posts

or a dog walker.

You'll just stink of dogshit instead of bread rolls.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #12
Vault O)))
Quarter pounder McCunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 52360
Thanked 1,047 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhji View Post
Well I was originally going to go to audio engineering school in Vancouver (Nimbus), but then I thought maybe it's wisest to do a trade so I could pay for it. But maybe not? I was thinking electrical (http://camosun.ca/learn/programs/ele...ogy/index.html), but then I was thinking how many times will I run into a situation where I will have to use these skills? Then I thought what kinds of situations would I run into that a trade in general would be handy to have?

Maybe I am thinking this all wrong. Maybe what I need to do is digital art, where artists are constantly needing logo's and album art done... Or maybe a website designer? Nah maybe not that because most people use social media platforms these days... Or not?

What do you think?
For a second there I thought I wrote this. Graphic and web design are sometimes rolled up together, which kind of kills both birds with one stone and are both relevant. Programming could technically come in handy, too.

But stripping... I like that idea.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (21-01-2018)
Old 21-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

Maybe it's me but your post doesn't make sense, you want to do a course so you are going to do another course to learn how to do a job to pay for the first course?

Anyway, no offense but the world doesn't need anymore entry level designers lowering the bar. To be a good graphic designer takes just as much commitment as it does to be an audio engineer - 3 to 4 years studying and on the job experience.

The suggestion of A/V technician is much better though contact various venues and studios and see if they need a runner and just do your audio course.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
Dhji (22-01-2018)
Old 22-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #14
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710

If you are the computer savvy type then programming or an IT Admin. Since computers are so handy with making music and the promotion of music, a trade in the computer field will guarantee at least some amount of synergy. Now I am really only referring to a trade that could earn u money and still be in some capacity beneficial to you in your music production. If u shoot for web designer, sure that could help but only in a promotional aspect whereas if u try to get something that requires a bit more knowledge like a programmer or server admin or something of that nature, then you could potentially use that skill set everything from webdesign and video editing, to creating your electronic instruments, mods, or even your own software if u take the programming route. I mean the most useful to your music production would probably be audio engineering aside from music theory.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostPone View Post
Hey Dude,
I have worked as an Audio Visual Tech for 14 years (6 of them in Vancouver) and has always been somewhat complimentary to music. It is basically a trade but you don't do an apprenticeship, it's all just on-the-job and product training. There seems to be many people in Vancouver trying to get work as an audio engineer which makes it hard to get work and you end up getting coffees and dusting consoles.

Doing AV over the years I have learned electrical, wood work, metal work, audio engineering, video engineering, planning, construction, commissioning, project management, people management, system design, drafting, communications/conferencing, service, electronics, networking/IT, operations, the list goes on. Go and do any specific trade and you wont get near as much experience as that.

Not that doing a trade apprenticeship is a bad thing at all, it's definitely a good thing to learn. There is just more variation in AV, that's all. Plus it's a specialized line of work which means, with experience, it's pretty easy to get a job while traveling.

I've paid my dues, but I make a decent salary and barely do 8 hours of work most days. Which means lots of time for music production and money on the side for hardware.
Where would you point me to get started in terms of learning? Is it something you should go to school for, or better learned in an environment where say, you volunteered.. Could you learn the basics or are people usually looking for experienced people; who have been to school?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62360
Thanked 1,247 Times in 917 Posts

I donít want to appear rude or condescending, but I sincerely hope youíre using ways other than anonymous messaging boards to make career decisions. Whatever you decide upon, keep in mind that nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. If you donít have a clear picture of what gets you excited, try an internship. Getting to understand what a job is actually like is key. Ask for what excites people that are really good at it and gauge how much you can relate to it. Whatever youíll end up doing will consume most of your waking hours. Doing that half ass with your passion elsewhere is going to slowly drain you of your spirit.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #17
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22610

This is something you could figure out best yourself

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
Vault O))) (23-01-2018)