This Is America.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378667
This Is America.

I think this track and video is one of the greatest art pieces ever made. Endless youtube reaction videos and alternate "this is" parodies. It still seems under the radar somehow. With people I talk to. Am I in the loop? Am I out of the loop. Who are these people I talk to?

Last edited by Focalized; 01-06-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Focalized
NewWorldOrder (04-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts
Re: This Is America.

It's timely and political. I like the visual/audio juxtapositions (hope versus violence). As for current hip hop, I like Childish Gambino. But "one of the greatest pieces of art ever made" is hyperbolic for me. 100% better than a lot of what I've seen in this vein in the last few years for sure.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31810

I appreciate the message, but I dunno, it's a little cute for my tastes. I have to say I'm a pretty big Kendrick fan tho.. When he get's goin its just.. damn. LIke the last minute or so of DNA.. sends chills up my spine.

and bruh.. the video has 220M views ;P
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Br/ainfu+ked (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478408
Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,049 Posts

I do not like hip hop in general but I must admit this is a good song.
As for the message, punk has been saying pretty much the same since the 80es, so a song about racism being part of everyday America is hardly new.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38760

I only watched the first minute or so, as it's really not my bag, but I know it was on the front page of pretty much every major new outlet's website when it came out (think I watched it on CNN?) Not sure I'd consider that 'under the radar'. Maybe you need more informed acquaintances.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 124360
Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,458 Posts

dead meme

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (02-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45966548
Thanked 1,214 Times in 933 Posts

I remember when he was on that show community, didn't know he started making music until this vid popped up, anyways more power to him, besides it makes people think, haven't listened much to some of his other stuff, maybe this is his one hit wonder or maybe not, either way he made his mark

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I do not like hip hop in general but I must admit this is a good song.
As for the message, punk has been saying pretty much the same since the 80es, so a song about racism being part of everyday America is hardly new.
Isn't it more about recent year shootings and not racism in general? I think it's about seeing all the candy-colored stuff in the foreground while people murder themselves in the background?

Anyway, thanks OP. The song and rapping isn't actually my taste but with the video I have it on constant replay since yesterday's evening. At least it's something new I haven't heard before.

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to StampedeMe
FunkMasterBrown (04-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Bergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3460

This is about race, the first thing he does is start walking weird and when he poses to shoot the guy in the chair, that’s a reference to the Jim Crow guy (propaganda pushed by Democratic Party). He is also wearing pants that look like something a confederate soldier (Democrat) would wear.

The riots going on in the backround represents black community struggles but you the viewer are distracted by the entertaining dance moves, kinda says that America is happy to capitalize off of black culture while ignoring problems that black communities face.

Also notice how the guns are taken away with care but the bodies are dragged away and then the camera changes to a new view. That kinda says that America cares more about guns then black lives.

I agree with what the vid is saying but at the same time probably disagree with how the problems highlighted could be fixed.

Anyway unemployment in America is hitting record lows and the stock market are going up. Ehh

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 75224
Thanked 1,253 Times in 774 Posts

It was an easy hit to touch on current events, and exploits anybody in a struggle, which the artist profits from. Sorry, that’s dark I guess. The track was super mediocre and the video was controversial.

Also, I haven’t heard a single person around my neck of the woods just play the track without showing me the video for the hundredth time.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

Okay, I get that the video is saying something, but what does the song say? TBH all I heard is this is america over and over and I couldn't really understand the rest of it between the mumblerap autotune and the cacophony of disjointed elements. Not a huge fan of rap to begin with, but this really isn't my bag. Almost a good IDM song if you drop the vocals out though

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #12
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergnermd View Post
This is about race, the first thing he does is start walking weird and when he poses to shoot the guy in the chair, that’s a reference to the Jim Crow guy (propaganda pushed by Democratic Party). He is also wearing pants that look like something a confederate soldier (Democrat) would wear.

The riots going on in the backround represents black community struggles but you the viewer are distracted by the entertaining dance moves, kinda says that America is happy to capitalize off of black culture while ignoring problems that black communities face.

Also notice how the guns are taken away with care but the bodies are dragged away and then the camera changes to a new view. That kinda says that America cares more about guns then black lives.

I agree with what the vid is saying but at the same time probably disagree with how the problems highlighted could be fixed.

Anyway unemployment in America is hitting record lows and the stock market are going up. Ehh
I like this take on the interpretation.

I will never get how the cycle of guns and lifes given and taken away can be broken without the commerce and politics behind it! But thats a much broader debate than this video and to be honest Im quoting this post as it's the only way I can possibly understand it.

As for the music - its okay. Want political, go and listen to some PIL (kind of relevant if you fall into my next posted thread)

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
Bergnermd (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

I don't get the song itself, it seems garbage and doesn't carry any weight without the video.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Bergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond reputeBergnermd has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
I will never get how the cycle of guns and lifes given and taken away can be broken without the commerce and politics behind it! But thats a much broader debate than this video and to be honest Im quoting this post as it's the only way I can possibly understand it.
It's almost comical what happens after a mass shooting. The democrats attack the National Rifle Association (founded after the civil war by 2 union vets, and the NRA's first president was in fact a union general, to help teach poor shots) and accuse them of being child killers. Then support and donations for the National Rifle Association sky rockets along with gun sales. It's almost makes you wonder if there is some sort of conspiracy.

------------------
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
It's almost comical what happens after a mass shooting. The democrats attack the National Rifle Association (founded after the civil war by 2 union vets, and the NRA's first president was in fact a union general, to help teach poor shots) and accuse them of being child killers. Then support and donations for the National Rifle Association sky rockets along with gun sales. It's almost makes you wonder if there is some sort of conspiracy.
I don’t know, dude. Maybe more NPR and less Alex Jones would help provide some perspective?

Re the video, don’t fancy it. I still think Public Enemy “Fuck the Police” is the song that captures what’s wrong in America, today.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Re the video, don’t fancy it. I still think Public Enemy “Fuck the Police” is the song that captures what’s wrong in America, today.

NWA 😎 then I you tubed snd learnt me something new...

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah

Quote:
I don’t know, dude. Maybe more NPR and less Alex Jones would help provide some perspective?

look at how tupac's acronym for thug life got twisted, I didn't even know it was tupac's acronym until I saw the movie. Anyways, It creates a debate, the sad thing is that money equals speech. Talk about moral high ground all you want but at the end of the day quid pro quo still happens regardless.
Alex jones is a snake oil salesman making money selling crazy to people who are susceptible brainwashing tactics and most likely views his audience as"useful idiots", the irony of infowars is that its called infowars, which I guess is short for information warfare which foreign governments use to control the people, I wouldn't be surprised if alex jones didn't have a couple of foreign wealthy benefactors financially supporting his broadcast.

also this:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 03-06-2018 at 09:46 AM..

------------------
Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Wisconsin

Quote:

I read and follow CNN dude, these are all facts dude, support for the NRA has gone up since parkland massacre victims started being marched in front of cameras calling the now president a child killer dude, did you even watch the town hall after the parkland massacre dude? I bet you didn’t dude. But they called Marco Rubio and the president of the NRA child killers while the crowd cheered dude. And there is always a correlation, when more gun control is called for dude, gun sales in America goes up dude. But IDK Dude.

Every thing I have said is true, you don’t like facts?

------------------
Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
Bergnermd
Soundscaper
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
look at how tupac's acronym for thug life got twisted, I didn't even know it was tupac's acronym until I saw the movie. Anyways, It creates a debate, the sad thing is that money equals speech. Talk about moral high ground all you want but at the end of the day quid pro quo still happens regardless.
Alex jones is a snake oil salesman making money selling crazy to people who are susceptible brainwashing tactics and most likely views his audience as"useful idiots", the irony of infowars is that its called infowars, which I guess is short for information warfare which foreign governments use to control the people, I wouldn't be surprised if alex jones didn't have a couple of foreign wealthy benefactors financially supporting his broadcast.

also this:
I guess I need to clarify, I’m not pushing conspiracy theories. If a person were to sit back and objectively look at what happens after a mass shooting they would see a call for “common sense” (have yet to hear an actual description of this phrase) gun control. Then when this “common sense” gun control is called for gun sales increase. I’m making a “really makes you wonder” kind of connection. Same thing goes for pasting the face and the name of the mass shooter on every screen. This is known to actually make other people want to become famous through the act of a mass shooting, yet we still post the face of the shooter on every TV in America (almost). It makes you take a step back and go WTF? (Yes I know that money and viewer ratings are a big part of making the decision to post the face’s of mass shooters)

Alex Jones’ media is something I do not waste my time consuming. It rots the mind.

I will say if you want to talk about a form of “irony” (not sure this is the correct use) the same people who accuses members of the NRA as killers of young humans, support planned parenthood. A function of planned parenthood is to kill young humans.

I’m not taking a stance here, I am pointing out truths that some people conveniently forget about.

------------------
Thanks to Bergnermd
A.M (07-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
blah

Quote:
I guess I need to clarify, I’m not pushing conspiracy theories. If a person were to sit back and objectively look at what happens after a mass shooting they would see a call for “common sense” (have yet to hear an actual description of this phrase) gun control. Then when this “common sense” gun control is called for gun sales increase. I’m making a “really makes you wonder” kind of connection. Same thing goes for pasting the face and the name of the mass shooter on every screen. This is known to actually make other people want to become famous through the act of a mass shooting, yet we still post the face of the shooter on every TV in America (almost). It makes you take a step back and go WTF? (Yes I know that money and viewer ratings are a big part of making the decision to post the face’s of mass shooters)

Alex Jones’ media is something I do not waste my time consuming. It rots the mind.

I will say if you want to talk about a form of “irony” (not sure this is the correct use) the same people who accuses members of the NRA as killers of young humans, support planned parenthood. A function of planned parenthood is to kill young humans.

I’m not taking a stance here, I am pointing out truths that some people conveniently forget about.

probably one aspect of the connection between gun sales and media exposure is because it stirs up xenophobia and fears of oppression. Granted hypocrisy is on both sides, and certain circumstances make it hard to be ethically inclusive for all types situations. but with gun control if there is a will there is a way, no matter what laws or policies they enforce someone somewhere will always find a way around it. Gun control is not going to stop all crime, true it will make it harder....but its easy to play the blame game, blame the culture, blame the parents, blame the system, blame the schools, blame the lawmakers, blame special interests, so on and so forth....no one wants to step up and admit their shortcomings, and try to do better.

Advertisements

------------------