intro - also seeking advice on idea of live mixing stems on a dig 8-track
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 31-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
thegrelin
IDMf's latest spammer
thegrelin is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
intro - also seeking advice on idea of live mixing stems on a dig 8-track

hallo, I'm a producer from seattle. put stuff out on the regular places as releks

have been in love with a lot of jamaican dancehall and reggae sounds for a long time, as well as the post aphex twin era of experimental album making, and still have a place in my heart for the moments where i enjoy a house track. I do love to dance, so i have also gotten into some dubstep and other formats at festivals. just saw crenshaw barclay at a festival and about lost my mind. sweet projects and vibes.

I'm coming here though with a question. looking for help with anyone who might know the differences between some digital 8-tracks that are knocking around for pretty cheap these days. thinking i might want to silplify what i do live and allow for more mental space to pick up a guitar or dub stuff out, than trigger everything, and that led me to the idea of kicking out stems and importing them to a digital 8-track.

so i picked up a used tascam DP 008EX for $129, and i like the size a lot but the file import from the SD card might be a tad slow and tedious. I was planning on not having anything recorded to the 8-track, just spit out a bunch of stems for each song.

are there any DP-008EX users out there that can confirm that basically I have to hook the tascam to my mac via usb and only then i have to pick one stem at a time? I could make that work for this price, and will be happy to have this as a toy for acoustic demos when traveling. but for my idea of having the main storage happening on the SD, do any of the Zooms (R8 and R24) have the ability to just drag and drop songs via my MacOS finder to the machine? I am just hoping to settle with the right digital mixer with the fastest workflow to send new stems to, just so i can have the most fluid show prep process.

thanks for reading. can't wait to hang out here more. what could go wrong hehe

Advertisements

thegrelin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38760
Re: intro - also seeking advice on idea of live mixing stems on a dig 8-track

Welcome to the circus. We have a cunning array of stunts here.

You're probably best posting up about hardware in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(which you had no way of knowing about because this place is an organizational mess). That's where most of the active hardware folks bum around and discuss stuff like you're talking about.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
thegrelin
IDMf's latest spammer

aw shoot, i am not deep enough in posts to repost this. i think we should probably get into a meaning of life exchange and really crank up my post production numbers like a true citizen of these times.
Old 31-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Hopefully you will pick up more attention with your thread posted where I've moved it. I don't know anything about digital 8-tracks. If you don't care about having individual outs I'd say just run your track length stems from your DAW. Shouldn't take much of a laptop to run 8 tracks of audio w/o any plug ins...

Any reason you want to go with an 8 track over a lap top? Also, hate to be "that guy" , but it seems like your question about whether or not you can drag and drop files onto those zoom multi-track recorders could easily be answered by googling and reading the manual or some reviews : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110

I use an R8. The answer to your question is yes you can, the Zoom's native format is wav, which is why I choose it over the Tascam, but you'll need to name them so that the Zoom can recognize them. Mono tracks starting from MONO-000. Stereo starting from STE-000, and master starting from MASTR-000. With the R8 you'll only be able to have 5 stereo tracks loaded at one time. Format an SD card in the Zoom, make a project file and name it in the Zoom. take out the SD card stick it in a card reader, open the file until you get to project, open your empty named project file, drag and drop in the renamed audio files. Put the SD card back into the Zoom open your project from the menu and place the files into the desired tracks. Make sure all the files are the same bit depth as the project setting, or they won't load.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
relic (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
thegrelin
IDMf's latest spammer

great stuff, thanks for the workflow summary

relic, valid question. for me it was a realization while at a festival about what balls i wanted to juggle while performing, and thinking about the old sly and robbie method of dubbing out tracks on a mixer. i only have two hands, and i was realizing, people in the crowd were more tuned into the quality of the tracks and the overall flow /dynamics of the arrangement, big/small/big etc, than having everything be triggered and built. plus having more instrumentation stored on an 8-track would eliminate some performance anxiety on my part, which would allow me to have more fun which is ultimately where my enjyment of life stems from (hehe no pun intended at first)

about the manual question, fair enough, but the workflow i am imagining isnt really what anyone on the product doc team or on youtube is really talking about much. some guys on youtube talk about "backing tracks" and there is some longwinded info on that. I was hoping to utilize the medium of forum to get some first hand experience with these prosumery boxes, that have pretty biased and salesy info on their product sheets.

the more i think about it, i am pretty stoked about this shift in my thinking from building loops and step sequencer parts all live, to capturing the sickest stuff while i jam in my lab and then work on performing with more energy and some vox/guitar and dub mixing for the live show. its not a thing i am saying everyone should do, but i am one of those folks struggling to get out of my studio and out of my own way, and this psychedelic realization i had whilepartying at a festival basically showed me how little people were auditing how triggered or live the electronic music was, it was all about quality, style and flow (yeah super generic words... but see past the sometimes blunt object of language with me here haha)

I think i am going to keep the dp008 and maybe get an r8 and just see how it all works. will probably want to have two 8 tracks just for the time it will take to load tracks, i can jump back and forth and their verb and sounds might be different enough to create some variety in sound and workflow. i was really excited on the 008 to have panning so i can route left dry to my main mixer and right out through some mangling and effects.

thanks for hearing me out and thinking this through. i'm still buzzing from a profound festival weekend with amazing music and people all around. peace!

Advertisements