Where is all the ebm/industrial?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 28-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster
Jibbertha möben will become famous soon enoughJibbertha möben will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Where is all the ebm/industrial?

Hi folks, I'm new here and I've searched endlessly through the listening booth section and member releases, I'm looking for dark hardd edged material but not down tempo glitch or house or other things are tagged as "dark industrial" for example, granted there are quite a few good experimental tracks on there but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for

Advertisements

Jibbertha möben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts
Re: Where is all the ebm/industrial?

It might help others to understand what you're looking for, if you posted a few names of other artists you like in the genre, so there;s some sort of reference they can go by..otherwise everyone is staying "industrial" and not knowing what everyone else is actually talking about.

I mean, artists on here have tagged their own work as being Industrial, but you don't think that fits what you've heard..so somewhere in there, there's a bit of a difference in opinion on what actually is Industrial.

Just saying..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster
Jibbertha möben will become famous soon enoughJibbertha möben will become famous soon enough

Hi, it's mainly w.a.s.t.e , s.k.e.t and 13th monkey that I'm listening to at the moment, quite often I like to listen to autodafeh etc
Old 28-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster

I'm looking for hard edged distorted, experimental music, lots of fat synths and thumping basslines, I'm looking for an artist that I can possibly collaborate with on a concept album I have in mind
Thanks to Jibbertha möben
A.M (28-05-2018)
Old 28-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

I don't know, seems like most of the listening booth stuff as of late has been EDM/ house stuff.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster

I agree
Old 28-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55560
Thanked 1,111 Times in 731 Posts

This is redundant on my part, but industrial kind of takes on a lot of different genres. Industrial (noise, I guess?) is a bit of a characteristic these days rather than a genre itself. Most industrial seems to come paired with another genre (like EBM) which might be a better place to look.

If you're finding good listening in the LB, however, mission accomplished.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (28-05-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster

I'm struggling to find much ebm either
Old 30-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbertha möben View Post
I'm struggling to find much ebm either
It's a forum focused on IDM (says so right there in the name). EBM and industrial and noise and aggrotech and black metal goth dance dance revolution all pop up from time to time as they have crossover with IDM and members dabble in multiple styles, but this isn't really a general electronic music forum like a lot of EDM sites. It's more narrowly focused, so those things tend to be outliers and a bit more rare.

If you haven't happened across them yet, check out Dead When I Found Her and Cellar Graves - both are contributing members here and are in the EBM vein. Toothpinch does some aggrotech-ish stuff, if you're into that. Also Sole Massif, because _ms makes some of the best experimental/drone/ambient noise in the world.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478708
Thanked 3,102 Times in 2,052 Posts

Well, not much ebm here, a few of us do something with a more "industrial" edge to it, but nothing that would make your body move..

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
aethervagrant
IDMf's latest spammer
aethervagrant is just really niceaethervagrant is just really niceaethervagrant is just really niceaethervagrant is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I keep hearing kids these days describe microgenres that don't sound familiar, but upon listening frequently seem very Industrial/dark electro to me. Some of the trap, hiphop and electronica guys start getting interested in making "Dark" beats and songs, and make up appropriately descriptive labels for it as they aren't part of or familiar with the dark electro scene that encompasses the likes of things from industrial, to aggrotech, to ebm, power noize, dungeon music, darkwave, etc.

I had an acquaintance who makes commercial hiphop and glitch beats play a show of his more original stuff and I loved it, sounded like Portishead meets Manson, but he didn't know what to call it and was worried it would put off his listeners looking for more upbeat party music, but it wouldn't have sounded out of place at Goth club.
I guess the point is -- check out the music around hear even if it doesn't look like what you'd usually enjoy, because I'm finding a lot of artists and sounds I wouldnt have come across otherwise, and most of the crowd around here seems to embody the "Industrial" attitude, if not the exact music.

also have to hugely second the DeadWHenIFoundHer reccomendation. That's the music that got me really thinking about how sound is created and layered, blending new and old philosophies and tech, and wanting to try to make my own.
aethervagrant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aethervagrant
A.M (30-05-2018)
Old 30-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Jibbertha möben
Granular Poster

I'm starting to find more stuff I like
Old 31-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

Another old school member to check out would be Candle Nine. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Well, not much ebm here, a few of us do something with a more "industrial" edge to it, but nothing that would make your body move..

This. Even though I have been on a more of a binge of running everything through distortion, I'm mostly interested in the breakpoint of sounds where they become really unstable. This does not lend itself that well to repetitive rhythms and riffs. Probably because I have some unresolved anger issues and treat them by taking my anger out on my ears by producing or something. Who the hell knows.

Basically head too far up my own ass to make anything actually danceable.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote