Anybody like Kate Tempest (awesome British political hiphop)?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 27-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421877829
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,888 Posts
Anybody like Kate Tempest (awesome British political hiphop)?

I've been wanting to drop this for over a year, but have never been in the mood to start a new thread, but I've been jamming to this nonstop lately, so here goes;

I fucking ADORE Kate Tempest. This is just fantastic stuff.

(^ seriously the best shit I've heard in ages. Those lyrics + that groove = perfection)

Her live performances are awesome as well. I honestly think it's sometimes better than the studio versions.

(Music starts at 1:10 in the vid below, starts to really rock around the 2:45 (and this track features some of the stuff I really like about her. Those off-kilter beats and synth lines are just bliss))

I've shown her to a few people over the last year and a half, and it ranges from "Holy shit, this is the best hiphop I've heard since Public Enemy" to "Whatever, here, listen to this guy. He can rap faster."

Her older stuff is good, too. Not as good as the stuff I posted here, but if you like this, there's more to check out:

Last edited by Vlantis; 27-05-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
StampedeMe (08-06-2018)
Old 29-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
Re: Anybody like Kate Tempest (awesome British political hiphop)?

Damn.......no bites?

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
HalfTrek
Granular Poster
HalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant futureHalfTrek has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Damn.......no bites?

Saw an item about her on tv when she was performing on a festival in my country last year. Really intrigued, but totaly forgot about her tbh. But very interesting, she's like a politically charged the Streets offspring. Think she performed that Europe is lost track then. That video and lyrics reminded me of documentaries by a guy named Adam Curtis about consumerism (and lots of other stuff). They have that same disturbing vibe. Ones in 'The century of self' series could be the one, but not sure. Check them out if that sort of thing interests you.

Checking out some of her other stuff you posted.
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55410
Thanked 1,108 Times in 730 Posts

^ Definitely sounds like The Streets. Fucking love that guy.

Wasn't this supposed to be a subgenre (this non-crunchy production and not being full-n hip hop)? I feel like there's a name for this stuff emerging from the UK but maybe it was washed away circa 2009

Anyway, super listenable. I love this sound.
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
HalfTrek (07-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5111

That's really entertaining, the music is good, her accent is addictive, very talented for sure. Thanks for sharing (sorry that I can't help and contribute any other way). One thing's puzzling me. She "can't stand immigrants"...well, the drummer out there is a native Britbong for sure

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Looks like I gotta check out The Streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
One thing's puzzling me. She "can't stand immigrants"...well, the drummer out there is a native Britbong for sure
The line is supposed to invoke what some conservatives say about the issue. The images in the video are definitely not of immigrants getting rich like the line says.
She has a line in the second vid referencing refugee boats sinking.

But maybe she also thought the line was confusing, because she's changed it to "He can't stand them" for live performances .

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Wasnt the Streets technically Grime? I remember being into him for a minute.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200010
Thanked 4,000 Times in 2,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Wasnt the Streets technically Grime? I remember being into him for a minute.

Yeah, I've heard that before, too..though TS is also referred to as being "Alternative hip hop", a sub-genre of hip hop that took root in the late 1980s..with Grime arriving a little later on the scene in London in the early 2000s.

Tbh, I'm not really sure myself who falls under which, as often it's the case the same names get mentioned in connection with the two sub-genres. Personally, though, I don't think it really matters all that much..they all fall under the hip hop banner anyway, due to the general musical influence of the same.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #9
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah, I've heard that before, too..though TS is also referred to as being "Alternative hip hop", a sub-genre of hip hop that took root in the late 1980s..with Grime arriving a little later on the scene in London in the early 2000s.

Tbh, I'm not really sure myself who falls under which, as often it's the case the same names get mentioned in connection with the two sub-genres. Personally, though, I don't think it really matters all that much..they all fall under the hip hop banner anyway, due to the general musical influence of the same.
Is Alt Hip Hop the same thing as concious hip hop? As in socially concious?

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200010
Thanked 4,000 Times in 2,975 Posts

Quote:
Not 100% sure..but I'm guessing it's a case of different people trying to make their own mark, by re-branding the same shit under a different name..as the question you pose indicates they're basically about the same thing..and hip hop is hip hop..so, yeah, I guess when it comes down to it, they could be the same thing. Maybe they use a different mic or something to record it and that's what makes them different..who knows?

Sorry, A..not much help to you really on this, as I only know what I've read about hip hop..and that's pretty limited tbh..I'm no aficionado when it comes to that scene.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
MFXxx
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

@Vlantis You just cost me about 50 on vinyl at amazon

Great artist although the videos really work the tracks/lyrics well. Look forward to listening to these shortly.

Thanks for the intro..

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
Vlantis (10-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55410
Thanked 1,108 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to guess it replaced 'underground' hip hop in recent years because that label sucked
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Kate Tempest is the only hip hop I've ever listened to, so it's all just hip hop to me.

These genre tags just remind me of how much people just can't help but try to ruin music.

I have have two categories myself: good stuff and shitty stuff.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 AM   #14
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Few more tunes I like (I don't dislike any of her stuff, though):

From her first album. Video editing is a bit cheesy, but this shit's good:

Picks up at 3:38. Love those synths:

Music begins at 1:04

Another from her first, probably the closest to a more traditional kind of single. Pretty straight forward, but I like it.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 10-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #15
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Skipped through some of these. Will defo expore further. And FWIW, the “slow” rapping doesn’t bother me at all. I can’t freakin’ stand DnB MCs...such garbage 90% of the time.

------------------
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

!:06 onward

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook