Question about releasing songs today
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #1
sakurasanta86
IDMf's latest spammer
sakurasanta86 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Question about releasing songs today

Man, there's gotta be a bigger amount of work to put. I've been recently coming back as well from almost a 3 year silence. I've put a short video and a teaser. Got 17 views, and the stuff is online for 2 months. I never was a Biggie music-wise, always free and self-released stuff, but I had over 30k plays on SC, multiple downloads and plays on other media. Man, people do forget and stop caring. Go out and put some freebies, reach new people, groups or scenes. I don't know how to start all over, the shock is still here. Thought my regular listeners would go bananas over a 30 second teaser with something in the likes of: "HE'S BACK", but it didn't happen. Bringing myself down to earth again, time to drop that 32-track album. If it won't catch...well, at least I'll be the only happy listener. It's important that you stay the same way, be happy with what you do and forget the recognition and profits, this won't happen on a small scale bedroom production.

Advertisements

sakurasanta86 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sakurasanta86
StampedeMe (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310
Re: Question about releasing songs today

Yawp, I spend more time than I would like to admit maintaining a following of a few dozen people who mostly like my facebook posts to make me feel good about myself. It's taken me 3 years on SC to break 2k plays, just pulled it off earlier this month, and I maintain background noise of maybe 10 plays a week from people coming back to listen to tracks they like. Fans are hard, and I envy the artist that can afford to pay a publicist to do even a portion of the work for them.

In your case, I'd say odds are if you weren't active for years, most of your social channels, especially youtube and facebook, are going to have buried your page and your fans/followers aren't receiving your updates. Facebook gives you the option to boost posts, though having done that and targeted the add fairly decently, I feel like it was a waste of money. The boosted post in question had several hundred likes, but no comments, one share, and a less than 1% click through rate. If you did decent before, I'd consider going to Submit Hub, making a profile, and submitting your tunes for promo there with a press release that talks about your past success and return from hiatus. I've failed to attract any attention there, but you may have more luck, and you may end up informing your fans of your return by getting blogs to write about it. In the future, you're going to want to post on the social media channels you use regularly, probably at least weekly. You could literally write "Just a Friday reminder that I exist. Check out my tunes!" every week, but keep those profiles active, I cannot stress the importance of that enough if you're going to use social media. Even though I have next to no audience, I'm starting to get offers for shows and collabs just for showing up every week.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5111

OP, are you me? I did the same thing apart from the fact that I had a 4-year break. Did a video, did a teaser, had good number of listens before I took my break. Man it just goes down the shitter now. People tend to forget and that's sad. I didn't. When I came back to SC I remembered who I followed and what kind of good music they had. To be completely honest it did burst the bubble at first but I quickly got over it. You'll get new followers, new opportunities. If your music is good it'll be noticed. I'm happy with my comeback. Met new people, got myself a free gfx artist, some dudes tried to rap on my tracks out of nowhere (they weren't too good to be honest though). I was suprised to see that a couple of people still remember me, I kind of felt sorry that I kept them away from my music for so long.

Don't bother, but after coming back to all this I just noticed how fucked up the whole amateur-industry is. Try to go to a random active musician and place like two comments and two likes on his/her profile. You'll have a follower who'll most likely produce praises about your music...sadly enough not really honest feedback though. It'll be "ALL GOOD, SUPER MUSIC, DOPE STUFF BRO!". To hell with all the SC, BC etc. numbers. I thought it was important years ago. Just do your thing.

PS. Did you change your alias? I think I could've made a mistake doing so before releasing new music. Maybe a lot of my former friends forgot me because of that.

Last edited by StampedeMe; 08-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: paragraph editing went fuxxord

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55410
Thanked 1,108 Times in 730 Posts

I notice a few themes with amateur musicians that tend to throw off their extremely tiny 'fanbase' (let's call any supporter / person who remotely cares a fan), but when you start seeing that you're most likely doing the same exact shit wrong that they're doing (myself included in this, I'm speaking from experience) it kind of puts things into perspective.

Long story short, nobody will ever care. There are huge bands on real labels who also get forgotten, so we don't stand a chance. If this sounds gloomy, it's not, because at least we will always have the freedom to just make shit and have a few people listen at any given point in time. That's all you can really hope for as an amateur, IMO. If the creative process is worth it to you, then it's not really wasted at all.

Advertisements

Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote