Anyone here use / used the RM1X.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 28-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010
Anyone here use / used the RM1X.

I've had one for quite a while now, and only just found out I can send a message for other synths to change presets. I know, it's pretty obvious in hindsight. I'm having trouble getting it to work. I understand I have to send MSB, LSB and PC# in that order on the EDIT page, and I know how to input messages, but getting it all correct is way beyond me. Can anyone lend a hand? I'm specifically trying to send to a Yamaha DX200.

Advertisements

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110
Re: Anyone here use / used the RM1X.

Basically you will need to know the MSB, LSB and PC numbers for the patch on the DX200 that you want to send the message to. Make sure you are on the track that you want to assign the change to, Hit the edit button and scroll to where in the sequence you want the event to happen. press f3 (inset) Select event type to PC. You'll see 000-000-000 on the screen. move the cursor along and put the numbers in, in that order and press done.
If yor RM1x has the old Eprom V1.12 version, make sure you set the sound to anything but phrase (the default) otherwise it will keep resetting the message when you rwd. Not sure if that helps any, but it worked on my JV 1010, when I tried it. Not sure if you are changing mid song, but if it's just to change the sounds at the beginning just once, it's best to use section P have just a 1 bar loop there, and input all the programme changes to happen in that bar. Then when you change you pattern, play section P and it will make the changes it one hit. That way it doesn't keep sending the control changes every time the loop restarts on the other sections.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
Bipolar Joe (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Jaysus, cheers boss. I could have saved myself a couple hours of frustration had I just asked. I do have OS version 1.12, and definitely noticed the glitch where it drops the first note. Gonna have to find someone to burn me an eprom for a reasonable price. With 1.13 will I still have to mute P to stop it sending the message when it gets back to the beginning of the loop to stop it reloading the patch?

------------------

Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
Jaysus, cheers boss. I could have saved myself a couple hours of frustration had I just asked. I do have OS version 1.12, and definitely noticed the glitch where it drops the first note. Gonna have to find someone to burn me an eprom for a reasonable price. With 1.13 will I still have to mute P to stop it sending the message when it gets back to the beginning of the loop to stop it reloading the patch?
Check out ebay, as the Eproms come up on there.. I keep meaning to get one for mine. I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I've just got used to going through all the tracks and taking them off phrase, when I start a new pattern.

The section P thing is good if you don't need to change a patch during a track or pattern.
My P button is a bit sticky, so it's a pain to mute on/off on the fly. This means I usually don't record any music to this track(16). Not that I've ever felt the need to have 16 tracks in my music anyway. So, as I don't record to it, it is left spare. This means I can put all my external patch change messages in pattern P. For example: on a pattern, Track 9 is my bass track, which is set up to output midi to channel 1, as that's the only channel the MS 20 receives on. If I'm using the JV 1010 in that track, it will also be sending midi to track one on the JV (must get round to seeing if I can turn separate channels of on it) so, I have another bass layered on that track. So, in section P I go to track 9, press edit and enter the patch info into track 9. Then when I come back to this pattern, I can go to section P, press play, and the message is sent to the JV, changing it to the patch I'd programmed. Press stop, and then press section O, Which is the section that has music recorded to it. When you go to a different section, all other sections do not send information. You don't mute/unmute sections, you just change them. It's the tracks that you mute/unmute.
Edit: You can still use all 16 tracks on sections A through to O, As long as you're not on section P, the messages will not be resent.
Funny you should post about the RM1x this week, as I posted my first track in the listening booth this week, which strangely enough was made entirely on the RM1x.

Last edited by Dr. Sleaze; 01-03-2018 at 05:40 AM..

------------------
Old 01-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I'll be experimenting a bit the nest couple of days. We're snowed in around my way at the moment, so I got work off.

The EPROMs on eBay are very reasonable. I've had the RM1X for a long while now, but only just recently taken to using it for external sequencing since my wife wanted to start a solo project. I just need more MIDI cables. Gave your track a listen, real old school vibe.

------------------

Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
I'll be experimenting a bit the nest couple of days. We're snowed in around my way at the moment, so I got work off.

The EPROMs on eBay are very reasonable. I've had the RM1X for a long while now, but only just recently taken to using it for external sequencing since my wife wanted to start a solo project. I just need more MIDI cables. Gave your track a listen, real old school vibe.
If you don't have one, get yourself a midi solutions quadra thru. It's an unpowered thru box, so no extra power cable, and the RM1x sends power to it. Saves daisy chaining. I still haven't upgraded the Eprom on mine yet either.

Advertisements

------------------