Tutorial: using the Ipad as an external effect processor with your gear
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 24-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478408
Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,049 Posts
Tutorial: using the Ipad as an external effect processor with your gear

Here's a brief guide on how to use your ipad as an effect processor with your hardware gear, in this case I'll be talking about sampler as they can more well, sample, but nothing can stop you from using this between your synth and your other audiocard or in an insert/return on your soundcard/mixer.

Note: If you're already using the soundcard to record to your daw, you will need a different one to connect to your Ipad.

This is not the only way, I'm sure there can be other way, this is just the way that works the best with me.

Ok, with that out of the way, let's go!

WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- External soundcard, externally powered or that can be powered by an Ipad (Bonus point if it has multiple ins/outs and midi). I use a K-mix for this as it has great routing flexibility but I also tried with a cheap Behringer UCA 222.

- Audio cables

- A hardware synth/sampler/drum machine as source of all sounds

- Ipad with either AUM or Audio Bus 3

- Some Ios effects

CONNECTIONS
- Connect the soundcard to the ipad with the camera connection kit or similar

- Connect the output of your sampler to the input of the soundcard

- Connect the output of the soundcard to the inputs of your sampler/mixer/recording device

SOFTWARE
- Launch AUM or Audio bus

- Select the input from your sound card (In my case I have the MPC on input 3/4 and the Analog 4 on 5/6 so I can quickly change the routing and use the A4 as effects processor too)

- Select the right output on your soundcard (Usually the main output)

- Add all the effects you want.

POSSIBLE USES
My favourite use for this technique is resampling, I set a 100% wet send from the MPC to a reverb/distortion/modulation effect, resample on the MPC, normalise and trim the file then add it back to the original sound as an additional layer, mixing it in at the volume I need.
Alternative if you have a nice compressor, you can resample your layered sounds or loops.
Or adding distortion to synths/loops, mangling stuff up.
If your soundcard has midi, off course you can sync delays and sequence effects.
Long story short, you can use this in the same way as you would use any hardware effect unit.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200010
Thanked 4,000 Times in 2,975 Posts
Re: Tutorial: using the Ipad as an external effect processor with your gear

Cool..thanks for this..I'm sure it's going to save a few headaches one day.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (01-12-2017)