[rant] Composition Arrangement Tools - The Blind Spot of the Virtual Music World - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #21
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279
Re: [rant] Composition Arrangement Tools - The Blind Spot of the Virtual Music World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
I have hunted and hunted...aaaand hunted for years looking for composition arrangement software.
Arrangement in music refers to something very specific, so maybe searching for song structuring tools would help a bit. The spreadsheet is also fairly useless for analyzing anything, since it does not outline what kind of material each instruments is playing. It is quite obviously a song structuring tool, rather than arrangement tool. At best it is useful for heavily loop-driven music. The lower graph is just mapping instruments in the 3D space, and does not even include time. It is essentially a seating chart. There is at least [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Plenty of templates to be found as well.

Quote:
No teacher will draw out a song's structure in chord chart maps over lyrics as a means of analyzing song structure.
In fact, you usually analyze the chords and modulations and then reduce everything to a single gigantic I-V-I structure, a la Schenker Analysis.

Quote:
I've lost track of how many webpages I've seen discussing structure that the images of were a) drawn by hand, b) drawn using some not-fit-for-purpose drawing software, or c) made via hijacking a DAW or some other software like Excel.
Because they cannot reproduce the actual score and do a proper analysis on it, since it falls under copyright. Or then they do not know how to do analysis the "proper" way, or do not see the point in analyzing the music, and just settle for make-do solutions. Even then, they would probably be better off denoting the form, as per the standard notation of ABABCB or so, adding apostrophes as necessary to denote variations, and describing the content. I frankly see no reason to reinvent the wheel, when that notation has been around for years and only takes a simple text editor. It's just as useful for visualization once you get used to it, and makes the structure easier to remember. Or is there something I've missed.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #22
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 5410
Re: [rant] Composition Arrangement Tools - The Blind Spot of the Virtual Music World

Regardless of the name, it's a map of what your song looks like in linear form as a concept of narrative shape.

It is a given that the user has a memory of what each representative component and section includes inside of it notationally in detail, sufficient in representation by minimal reference.
Instead, the focus is on the nature of the song in linear behavior.

It isn't useful to everyone, but if you are someone who thinks visually about music and draws such structural maps, then it's not just handy, it's also enjoyable.

Cheers!

Advertisements

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote