Forcing a track - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #41
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960
Re: Forcing a track

If you need to force yourself to finish song that track must suck... That's the case with me.

For ME, I have 31 project since 1.1.2017. From those 31 project, I consider I have done 5 tracks. 5. Those 26 other projects I do not consider anything, I can delete them, I'll never ever return to them.
They were either shitty start, they require forcing to finish etc. If a track needs of me to force myself it will suck at the end.

What I consider actuall track that should have good results at the end? Track that I start, I can't wait to make another line and play synthisizer to hear what next sound I will get. Track that I enjoy making.
Example, this is track i started 2 days ago:

It was made in a few hours, and I cant wait for vocalists to do their part so I can continue to work on it. No need to force myself, I can't wait till i continue.

So yea, my point is. Forcing = bad song

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #42
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI
MC Status: 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
What I consider actuall track that should have good results at the end? Track that I start, I can't wait to make another line and play synthisizer to hear what next sound I will get. Track that I enjoy making.
I have never made a track in a few hours...

I think the word "forced" here is actually a bit misleading. Not all art just springs off the fingers like magic (and if it does, it might be a warning sign that you've heard it before); sure some ideas practically write themselves but others really do take time to shape and evolve. I've returned to many, many old/unfinished tracks and musical ideas that eventually became some of my favorite works.

IMVHO it's all about editing...paring down those initial ideas, and developing just the essentials; when you can do that, the music takes on a kind of character all its own. When I hear that "character", that *makes* me want to work on it and see it finished.
clocolan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #43
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocolan View Post
I have never made a track in a few hours...

I think the word "forced" here is actually a bit misleading. Not all art just springs off the fingers like magic (and if it does, it might be a warning sign that you've heard it before); sure some ideas practically write themselves but others really do take time to shape and evolve. I've returned to many, many old/unfinished tracks and musical ideas that eventually became some of my favorite works.

IMVHO it's all about editing...paring down those initial ideas, and developing just the essentials; when you can do that, the music takes on a kind of character all its own. When I hear that "character", that *makes* me want to work on it and see it finished.
I should have wrote it precisely there sry. I turned synth on, played this 2 chords and I was like, shit, I feel that. Opened cubase, played 2 chords, added beats, added bass and I was, fuck this is fine. That took an hour, another hour I played with sounds, this mellow "stab" you hear and few other stuff and thats it.
Vocals, this main piano melody I did few days later when my vocalist sent me file.
So, sorry, basic layout I did in 2 hours or so. Alltogether probably played with this currect state I have for around 5 hours, spent 3 hours just improvising piano etc.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #44
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39810

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
I pretty much disagree.

When you suck at finishing tracks, you have to "force" yourself to learn how to finish tracks. What are you expecting? To sit down and be inspired and create a masterpiece on your first try?

I mean.. If people learning to play instrument took this approach, and never forced themselves to practices scales, chords, melodies etc.. we wouldn't have many skilled instrumentalists.

Not trying to be harsh. But realistically you can expect to be "forcing" yourself for a while. But lighten up about it. View it more as experiment and exploring with arrangement and song forms. If you do this for a quite a while, it will become second nature to finish tracks and you'll be ready when inspiration hits.
This is pretty much what I believe, too. Starting tracks is easy; finishing them is like a muscle that you can strengthen over time.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Daggit (06-08-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #45
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI
MC Status: 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
This is pretty much what I believe, too. Starting tracks is easy; finishing them is like a muscle that you can strengthen over time.
yep, takes discipline.

Also, I think that when you have more finished tracks that you can look back on, that helps to motivate you on future ones when you find yourself at a mental roadblock...that there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
clocolan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #46
Stressshot
Minor Glitch
Stressshot will become famous soon enough
Helsinki
MC Status: 60

ususally when i force tracks they dont turn out so good as in motivated state.
Stressshot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #47
Ruuksine
IDMf's latest spammer
Ruuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 160

There will be days where you'll have to force a track for the sake of practicing finishing a track. Sometimes there will be days where it comes out pretty easily and naturally.
I think you're better off forcing a track, for the sake of practicing finishing songs.
Otherwise you get in this kind of rut where you're really good at writing intros but never end up finishing songs.
It's kind of like lifting a weight, and as others here have said, like working a muscle. The more tracks you finish, the better you'll get at finishing tracks.
The better you get at finishing tracks, the less likely you'll run into situations where you feel as though you're forcing a song.
Because you build up a repertoire of creative options or 'paths' you can take when writing.
I think no matter what though, there will be days where it's going to feel forced, and that could just be your mood, not anything to do with your ability.
Ruuksine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ruuksine
Daggit (28-08-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #48
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160

Sometimes my mind knows where to go, sometimes it does not. Either way I will get that bitch out. Everything requires force, sometimes it comes easy sometimes it doesn't.

But don't "settle" If it doesn't sound right then keep at it, or perish.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #49
dabase
IDMf's latest spammer
dabase is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splunka View Post
I have to completely agree, and frankly I'm relieved I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I've never properly written tracks before, in the sense that I've never seen myself being able to publish something with a feeling of accomplishment, or the feeling of "ok, this won't get any better even if I tried".
In fact, I find myself extremely insecure with everything I produce, so much that it has taken me months to finally start considering publishing something.

At the same time, due to my lack of knowledge in what refers to sound design and mastering, I've started panicking for not being able to speed through the creative process, which is a pretty dumb thing, now that I think about it: the producer is supposed to enjoy every bit of what he does, otherwise it becomes a spiral of dissatisfaction and destructive self-criticism.

The best solution seems to be finding a reliable source of information on these topics. And I just came across this forum.

Ain't that neat? xD
Hehe. I record only Jams because of this. Recording plus some fidling with eqs and I limit myself to that. The only thing I have to "learn" each time is "how to play it".
dabase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #50
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Pretty much every project I ever do is "forced".
However, some work out really well in the end, and others don't.
I think it's just pretty much called "hard work".
But of course, you have to be clever.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
Ardacris (28-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #51
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Forcing a track isnt productive at all , in fact , this happened to me these days..
I had to finish 2 tracks , and i was just forcing ideas , i couldnt find the right melodies , i wasnt inspired at all , so i decided to take a break..
Today i just sat down 10 min and both tracks are done.. so..
The best thing to do when u are not inspired is to take a break from that particular track and instead focus on something else , like starting a new track , or whatever.. that's my advice.

Peace
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #52
Kollectiv Vizio
IDMf's latest spammer
Kollectiv Vizio is currently spamming hard

Never force anything in music

No matter how long it takes, eventually the song will be finished. It's just waiting for you to erase the silence surrounding the sound you want. Try new things. I'm not just talking music. Look at everything from an artistic perspective, including architecture, road structures, the way plants grow.

Listen for the music everywhere you go. The humming of the fridge, the movements the house makes with the earth, the way a storm sounds. It's all music. Just gotta harness it.

Kollektiv Vizion soundcloud
Kollectiv Vizio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #53
Ardacris
Regular Freak
Ardacris is currently spamming hard
Hessen

Forcing tracks is so f****** hard... but sometimes you have to, if you can't get inspired.

And if you work hard and intelligent enough you can make an idea work, that you initally found bad.
Best feeling in the world - finishing a track

And if you have worked hard for it you can worship it even more.
Another plus for forcing is that you consciously learn more about things such as composing and arranging and eventually you will rely on inspiration less.

Beeing reliant on something you can't control for making a living is... not optimal.

Advertisements

Ardacris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote