experimentation. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:39 AM   #21
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360
Re: experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
You are making music for the wrong reason. Suggestions? I don't know you if you can fix it. I think it boils down to confidence. There is something that truly passionate creative people possess that pushes them to create and make something. They have a vision and seek after a picture and sound in their head rather than making something that people will like.

Maybe you simply don't have the musical skills to give you a frame of reference. Think of the artists and musicians you've heard of. What did they do first? They studied and trained. Then they had the tools to create their passion.
well, I make music because I like making music, it really interests me and entertains me, but I fell like I don't like my music that much and I want to change it up and at least do something original...

Advertisements

mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
brb (17-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 AM   #22
grinzler
Minor Glitch
grinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

using a granular effect used to be enough to make you experimental but now even Christina Agulara uses granular and she isn't even on earth anymore. shes been in hypersleep on board the ISS for years. now that's experimental.
grinzler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #23
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
well, I make music because I like making music, it really interests me and entertains me, but I fell like I don't like my music that much and I want to change it up and at least do something original...
Ah I see. You need to change things up then. Maybe learn a different DAW or instrument to get you out of a rut or into a new sound?
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I feel like "experimental" always means the music either crap so calling it "experimental" is an excuse for it to sound awful or be pointless noise OR its still awful and trying to make some kind of academic point that is actually more interesting on paper than to listen to.
I label a lot of the stuff I do as experimental I don't think it sounds awful most of the time.

As others have said, its damn near impossible to make anything truly original, and depending on why you are making music, that might not matter at all. But, experimentation can mean a lot of things. Experimenting with more traditional musical elements like melody, harmony and rhythm. Or it can mean experimenting with texture and timbre through sound design.

I think it's really important for your growth as a musician and composer to embrace experimentation and along with that the distinct possibility of failure. Not all experiments will be a success, but you'll never know until after the fact. And while you were experimenting, you were invariably learning something, so it's never a complete loss.

I recently heard Robert Henke give a talk, and it was very much focused on the idea of experimentation. When speaking on why it was important to try to do things in a new way: Success points to the past, and failure points to the future.

Anyway, that's my opinion on experimenting

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538480
Thanked 6,951 Times in 4,945 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
that is absolutely a fair and I shouldn't have written in such absolute terms. One important thing to focus on when talking about is the difference between (for lack of a better term) academic experimentation, actually pushing the bounds of what is possible or generally accepted and personal experimentation...pushing the bounds of individual knowledge, ability and experience. Of course one can do both simulataneously.

I'll have to see if I can find any material by Robert Henke. I love that quote at the end.

All that being said, I do feel like some people abuse "experimental" as a label, but not always. As you say, the most important thing is to keep pushing your own boundaries, make mistakes, make noise.

Yep. Stuck my foot in my mouth again lol.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Jaded (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #26
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yep. Stuck my foot in my mouth again lol.
Nah not at all, just being petty and defensive about my 'experimental' output.
After spending a few years in the academic music world, I couldn't agree more about the term being abused, and used as an excuse for poor compositional effort at times.

Funny you mention 'make noise', the final line from the talk he gave was "Let's make more weird noises".

Sorry if it seems like I'm name dropping or something, but the quotes really fit with the conversation at hand. And I found them particularly inspiring.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #27
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
Nah not at all, just being petty and defensive about my 'experimental' output.
After spending a few years in the academic music world, I couldn't agree more about the term being abused, and used as an excuse for poor compositional effort at times.

Funny you mention 'make noise', the final line from the talk he gave was "Let's make more weird noises".

Sorry if it seems like I'm name dropping or something, but the quotes really fit with the conversation at hand. And I found them particularly inspiring.
Reminds me of a Guthrie Govan quote ... "I thin it's important to make noises that upset people". On the importance of keeping the listener guessing and therefore engaged.

Of course if it's all tension and no release ... Well then it's harsh noise and everyone's entitled to dislike that

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #28
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinzler View Post
using a granular effect used to be enough to make you experimental but now even Christina Agulara uses granular and she isn't even on earth anymore. shes been in hypersleep on board the ISS for years. now that's experimental.
Lol...what ?
ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #29
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

Here is a good book in which you will find lot of info how different note combinations are interpreted as emotions or how some intervals on collective level are understood. And of course much much more.

reading, understanding and applying that approach to music creation can help you next time you wish to achieve something specific in the audience but are not sure how to get there. It is another way, where first way is to blindly try different things and themes and hope for the happy accident.

I say of course nothing against experimentation, just wanted to share a book which helped me lot.
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #30
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

Experimentation itself is a recommended phase of anyone before he or she truly discovers the unique and original side of themselves. I see experimentation also trying to make songs from different gernes and so on. Always trying new things to discover the ne that suits you best.
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #31
Iyashi Sound
Analog Lurker
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCat View Post
...just wanted to share a book which helped me lot.
You forgot to name the book.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #32
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

Looking back on this thread I realize that I wrote like I was really desperate, like I was at the end of my rope and if I didn't create a new genre I was going to give up on all music.

jesus.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
Vault O))) (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #33
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39610

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
Looking back on this thread I realize that I wrote like I was really desperate, like I was at the end of my rope and if I didn't create a new genre I was going to give up on all music.

jesus.
If you don't get douche chills from old posts, you're not like maturing or something

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
lolirl (20-09-2017)