How do you usually start a song? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #21
AlexBridgez
Minor Glitch
AlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the roughAlexBridgez is a jewel in the rough
Edinburgh
MC Status: 310
Re: How do you usually start a song?

I start with a simple piano and lay down a bassline. Once I've found something I like I'll add a melody on top (still using the same simple piano). I'll then add chords if it suits the song. Once I've got a melody worked out (or part of a melody), I'll mess around with sound design until I get the instruments to match the feel I'm going for. Then I'll add drums. First the kick, then the snare/clap, then minor percussion (hi-hats, toms etc.)

I find that I'll produce the music that's similar to songs I really like at the moment in structure/style/feel. I once spent a few hours on a track after listening to "69' Camaro" by Penthouse Penthouse, and I really liked what I'd made......until I realised I'd just remade '69 Camaro with different instruments.......

Advertisements

AlexBridgez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #22
DOOF
Learning The Ropes
DOOF will become famous soon enough
New York, New York
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
So what's your usual way of starting a track? Do you get inspired by a particular song and try to emulate it in some way? Do you get inspired by particular sections of different songs and then combine them together and put your own twist on it? Or does everything you make come purely out of your head?
I am constantly humming. Everywhere I go, humming little melodies. If I pay attention and realize I've been humming a particular tune all day, I try to lay it down in Ableton when I get the chance. Usually, the voice kind of "finds itself" as it were. Sometimes the hum turns into the bassline, sometimes the hook, sometimes it completely morphs into a totally different tune.

Recently, I watched a sound engineer talk about laying down tracks. He commented on his own method of always engineering the bass and drum lines before moving on to anything else. I've taken heed of this as I've had plenty of past mixes stall because I didn't know where to take them next. Solidifying the bass line and basic drum pattern layout has been extremely helpful for me.

Once those are down, its literally a matter of embellishment and muting for their respective moments throughout the track. Its all about balance, and understanding some basic song pattern structures can speed this process up quite easily. Your basic pop song ex: intro--> verse--> bridge--> 2nd verse--> bridge--> chorus--> 3rd verse --> bridge--> chorus--> middle 8--> chorus--> outro

Its not always that literal and I use that just as an example.
DOOF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #23
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

Sometimes I jerk off to get the creativity going

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #24
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69885269

Lots of different approaches depending on mood, the point of whatever it is, whatever I find myself using at the time, whatever earworm I'm infected by, etc.

Sometimes I have a grand idea that dictates the shape of everything, sometimes I'm just pissing about (sound designing) in FLS or Coagula or Synthedit or Foley type stuff and a sound will emerge that demands music around it. Mostly it's just playing with ideas that amuse me in some way.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #25
Macspider
Granular Poster
Macspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really nice
Vienna
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Your keyboard must be very gluey at touch then
Macspider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

depends on the mood I'm in but usually at least start with a midi controller and a software instrument, play around with some notes and try not to fall back into using too similar of a note pattern to my other stuff.

actually one thing I've noticed that seems to work pretty efficiently for my brother and me is if we start with something minimal and then add the main melody right after, lately improvising melodies has been a lot of fun. From there we typically just add what feels right.

------------------
andrewchapmanart.com
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #27
marloweisdead
Learning The Ropes
marloweisdead will become famous soon enough

Usually I have a musical or intellectual idea that I want to work through, then try not to completely ruin it.
marloweisdead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to marloweisdead
brb (05-02-2016)
Old 22-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #28
L1ll38r0r
Regular Freak
L1ll38r0r is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I have gone through periods of starting in all kinds of ways. The usual drums first, chord progression first and so on but now i usually just listen to some music that i lika at the moment and start humming to it. Then i gradually move away from that song while i cook or clean or take a bath and then i record like 1 minute of humming into ableton, slice it up, shuffle it around, transpose it and bam!
L1ll38r0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #29
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

One of the only ways I get ideas for tunes is to mess around with editing presets.
After I get the preset sounding good, then I play around with it. If the preset sounds any good, it will instantly give me ideas for riffs. If I'm in the mood, I will record those ideas right away and save the project. If it's a VSTi that I don't want to keep, I'll just sample some of it and remove/delete the VSTi.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:22 AM   #30
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106650
Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,375 Posts

Lots of fucking around with synths and drums and samples and alt-tabbing to other shit like the internet and then coming back for a bit, going to get a drink or a snack or whatever, watching a youtube video, checking IDMF, etc. It's not the best process in the world.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
FunkMasterBrown (23-02-2016)
Old 23-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #31
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

dick in hand violently masturbating thinking about what im about to achive.....isnt that how everyone starts a track.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #32
Macspider
Granular Poster
Macspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really nice
Vienna
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
dick in hand violently masturbating thinking about what im about to achive.....isnt that how everyone starts a track.
I think this is how someone gets started :badger:
Macspider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #33
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Lots of fucking around with synths and drums and samples and alt-tabbing to other shit like the internet and then coming back for a bit, going to get a drink or a snack or whatever, watching a youtube video, checking IDMF, etc. It's not the best process in the world.
There is a channel on youtube that challanges producers to make a track in 10 minutes.

Imagine you being there "Ok guys now that we have our drums set up we go to youtube hmm let's see if we can find anything oh well how about idmf?, there's always interesting stuff there, man I'm feeling hungry"

But for what it's worth this progress is very common for me aswell...

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
There is a channel on youtube that challanges producers to make a track in 10 minutes.

Imagine you being there "Ok guys now that we have our drums set up we go to youtube hmm let's see if we can find anything oh well how about idmf?, there's always interesting stuff there, man I'm feeling hungry"

This series is called "against the clock" by FACtmagazine, and some of the episodes are quite good. It can be pretty interesting to see the workflow of people within different genres, different setups, etc.
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #35
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106650
Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post

We did a challenge on the forum a while back to start and finish a track on a Sunday. It was interesting to see what people did. I chose to sacrifice any sort of decent drum work and pretty much just had the same beat playing on a loop through the song. I actually liked the second half of the song, but it was basically just for the hell of it - not good.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #36
BalloonsOA
Learning The Ropes
BalloonsOA will become famous soon enoughBalloonsOA will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Most times I sit down with my piano. I record it every time, just to be sure not to miss that lick or part.
Same goes with sound design, just record it to audio. There is always some nice rhythmic bits that might sparkle something else.

All the tv, youtube, whatever I watch I like to mark some nice moments. If I can sample It I will. I might try to
replicate interesting part myself and I record again everything. It all piles up, I have made folder for ideas. Audio, midi, words/phrases, samples, basically everything goes.

I didn't really like classical music that much in the past, but I have noticed that it is very good source for inspiration. I like to practice sheet reading along when I'm listening also.
BalloonsOA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #37
Bergnermd
Knob Twiddler
Bergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud ofBergnermd has much to be proud of
Wisconsin
MC Status: 1160

I like looking up and practicing different chord progressions on a piano synth, basic ones. Then I start adding or subtracting different notes and trying different rhythms until I find something I think I can work with. Add a basic beat and assign some notes to a bass synth and some others to a pad. Then I play along on a lead synth until I found something I like. Just go on from there I guess, Makes the most sense to me

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #38
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

I start with a sound. It could be anything.
"Cee" started with a hi-hat.
"Bioluminescence" started with a piano chord through a spectral gate.

To get to that one sound tho.. largely a matter of luck.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #39
Oktipus
Minor Glitch
Oktipus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post

Some things are better kept to yourself

Oktipus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #40
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

try just putting a filter effect on the main instrument of the song and adjusting the cutoff to make the instrument fade in and then add other things to it throughout the song.

Advertisements

mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote