Producing in early morning vs late night - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #41
Endo Andre
Minor Glitch
Endo Andre will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Producing in early morning vs late night

LATE NIGHT ftw!!! love how the music muse kicks in those hours! 1am-4am

Advertisements

Endo Andre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #42
Emperor Bear
Radial Developer
Emperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the rough
Japan
MC Status: 310

My late night sessions usually become early morning sessions....every day and night so

------------------
Emperor Bear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926

I found that late night I have more experimental tendencies and crazy ideas, trying to write a hook on the fly or something more "rapid and under-tought"..

Early morning, I'm WAY more focused and efficient. For example, if I have previously wrote most of a track, I will complete the structure and detailling and all the automations starting it out in the morning with a good coffee, in an much smaller amount of time.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #44
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

I'm definitely a night owl.. When everyone is asleep and there are no distractions I can get into the zone.

Last edited by Divercity; 21-09-2012 at 01:42 AM..

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #45
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

As long as you're not tired or burnt out. A pre-production nap could work wonders.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Triton64
Divercity (21-09-2012)
Old 21-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #46
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

I feel better at nights, less background chatter from the neighborhood.
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Intor / Flowers by Grimes
Old 23-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #47
cat_abyss
Learning The Ropes
cat_abyss is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I think that this is about tiredness. You know - when you're beginning to feel drowsy, you step outside your normal patterns because you cant think straight. At least this is the case for me.

My best tracks are always made so late that it's early, or so early that it's late.
cat_abyss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #48
andygold
Learning The Ropes
andygold is currently spamming hard
DC

All the night owls should try early morning session. like 6-8am session.
I used to work only during night, but sometimes, brain just functions better during morning time.
Right after shower, with cup of coffee!
Afternoon is always the worst time to work....
andygold is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #49
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

I am a late night worker. I am insanely lazy and usually only get round to producing late at night. It is a bad trait.

When you sleep your subconscious mind works on what you learned and did during the day. That is why many people feel inspired in the morning to write tunes. Melodies often jump into my head when I take a shower in the morning etc. This is just a theory of mine and may not be 100% the case but it is proven that the subconscious mind works on things while you sleep and take breaks etc that is also why when you run into a creative brickwall and then go take a break you seem to find more answers to your problem when you return to it. The subconscious mind plays a huge role in creativity, many artists call it the "incubation period", that being when you take a break and let your subconscious work on the problem.

So yeah doing creative work when you wake up (can actually be at anytime of the day) tends to yield better results its just a pity I tend to procrastinate when I know I have a whole day ahead of me and don't do any early work as a result...
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #50
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

Quote:
the only thing I feel like doing early in the morning is not being awake.
Lol, I totally agree. I think you just helped me to clarify this issue.
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #51
patchbay
Minor Glitch
patchbay is currently spamming hard
Zürich

hm. in my case night sessions are connected with "drinking alot of beer". thatswhy i make music in the night and mix my tracks in the morning or early afternoon. otherwhise i start drink beer again and fuck up the track. odd, innit?
patchbay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #52
CloudChorus
Granular Poster
CloudChorus is a jewel in the roughCloudChorus is a jewel in the roughCloudChorus is a jewel in the rough
Winston-Salem, NC
MC Status: 260

I'm a very distracted producer. I'll work on them whenever I have time, but when I'm working it's not a concentrated, "in-the-studio" mindset. I'll tweak a sound or work on a chord progression, then I'll check my e-mail or IM my friends, and then I'll come back and look at my work when my brain goes "hey, you know what would sound cool?" and I'm like "shit yeah man, let's try it."
CloudChorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #53
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535377
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
I found that late night I have more experimental tendencies and crazy ideas, trying to write a hook on the fly or something more "rapid and under-tought"..

Early morning, I'm WAY more focused and efficient. For example, if I have previously wrote most of a track, I will complete the structure and detailling and all the automations starting it out in the morning with a good coffee, in an much smaller amount of time.

I was going to explain how i work, but you pretty much nailed it on the head.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #54
[Complex]
Microknight
[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold
Spain
MC Status: 960

I prefer composing on the nigth and mix only in the mornings.

I feel more creative on the nigths and more productive on the mornings
[Complex] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #55
apistat
Granular Poster
apistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 210

Given that I usually go to bed around 4am, mornings don't really exist for me. I'll usually produce in the middle of the day (which for me is about 5pm), or later at night (starting from midnight or so).

------------------
apistat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #56
hengshaNZ
Learning The Ropes
hengshaNZ will become famous soon enough
Dunedin

I find I am at my most creative late afternoon on a weekend, and also often when I am lying in bed just before it is time to sleep. I like to get my ideas down in bed, then really work with them through out the next day. I just wish there was a way to produce while at work without anyone noticing
hengshaNZ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Deadmau5 - Jaded
Old 30-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #57
ParallelEDM
Minor Glitch
ParallelEDM will become famous soon enoughParallelEDM will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 110

Lately I've been having great success with early morning sessions. I'll wake up, have some coffee, and immediately start creating something new. By the time I hit lunch, I've already got a good foundation of a track usually. It's really inspiring. But of course can be tough for people with day jobs...
ParallelEDM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #58
benelli3000
Knob Twiddler
benelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 6398019

I do the creative/get weird shit at night. The mornings are for correcting shitty engineering done in the heat of the moment from the night before, and are generally more geared towards dialing in sounds and doing catch-up mixing. Since I kinda mix as I go while working on a track, whatever I do at night usually needs to be adjusted in the morning.

I hate working afternoons/evenings, that's when I'm busy playing WoW.

------------------
benelli3000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #59
Dec Irish
Granular Poster
Dec Irish will become famous soon enough
Preston

id rather do it in the mornings because i feel i work better and i am more motivated.. but i always end up doing starting a track or getting an idea at night and then staying up late. then i will only get up during the day and then i end up doing the same again because i am not tired. its a routine i need to get out of.
Dec Irish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #60
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

night only here

Advertisements

------------------
~ Ni-Kulo § Club Steiner ~

-) ~ the CHAMPA WOODS are back ~ 15.10.13
Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote