I don't really create much music anymore since being a mastering engineer...but what inspires me to master as many tracks as I can is the ability to help convey the artists emotion for the given track. I love when I get comments back from the artists and producers I work with that say....you really captured and enhanced the emotion I was going for.
This is why I love attend sessions, the few times I get them, as I see, in person, the pure reaction of the artist when a master is done so well that is captures what the artists sonic vision was.
Start out messing around with sound design on a synth and realize this sounds so much like XXXXX... maybe If i paired it with YYYYY it will sound like ZZZZZ. then trying it and it kind of sounds like AAAAA. And I love the way AAAA sounds so I'll try to elaborate on that. While working on it I have a sudden realization that if I tweak this I can make BBBBB. And if I add ZZZZ to BBBB it makes something completely new. Ultimately making a huge collection of sample/ideas/'soundscapes'.... and being able to create these unique sounds and themes that I like is exciting to me.
My ego and belief that I have the talent to make great music
But in all honesty listening to bad music in equal parts to listening to good music has motivated me to make music, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. It kinda activates that competitive part of me that believes I can make music better than others (probably not the best reason to make music, but it happens to be one that motivates me as cocky as it sounds!)
Sometimes i need inspiration and sometimes i just need to sit down and play.
If something good comes out i'll make a beat with it ( i make hip hop ) ..
When i do need inspiration , like everybody else i listen to other people music.
Sometimes if i have a dope sound , i just need to play a note and an entire melody is already in my head.
Soundscapes are rly inspiring too.
1. read this thread
2. not understand why mad
3. write fb post that helps establish your anger in human words
4. spend an hour editing post before posting
5. decide not to post. save draft to notes. will revere it as "art" later. pat self on shoulder and congratulate self for overcoming some obstacle.
6. i'm pretty sure number six is the one where you are actively trying to avoid being the guy ppl scroll past on facebook at 2am going, "56 comments on this vague quasi political stance? i'm good. i was just trying to get on the internet and chill." gif yourself out of everything.
7. it's not really a step, it's just that moment you realize that no one has said anything you agree with (yet -- keep refreshing) therefore your chances of chiming in with "I agree" emojis are low. this applies to all the threads you post in thereafter where you're passively aggressively FBegging people to pay attention to you.
7.5 enjoy attention and quote likes unquote from quote people unquote whom you can't remember how you met
8. the internet is boring fuck it let's fuck around with a sample
9. three days pass... forgot which direction on the shower faucet that "hot" setting be at. oh but woooooo i think i finished a real banger here folks. realize you are your own audience.
10. dry off naked body, decide right now is time to provide internet with your hella cool work in progress and create a soundcloud upload of said track
11. seriously internally debate whether it should be private or not. what? wait, what if a record company hears this and wants exclusive rights? I better keep it secret and wait for that knock on my door...
12. decide private. yeah, the worlds not ready.
13. finish full length album. it's never finished. but i mean, it's pretty much finished.
14. put aside for years and disconnect completely from this music entirely.
15. like a washed out pornstar you continue bragging to friends "it's" coming and it is huge
16. lose fans, log into idmf
17. continue the cycle