Hats - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 17-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #21
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18029969
Re: Hats

i think i might be misunderstanding OP.
can you upload some examples please?

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31810

Wait wait.. are talking about the same kinda of hats?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
-Agu- (17-05-2018)
Old 20-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #23
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts

I use baseball caps instead of fedoras these days. They sit better in the mix, IMO.

In a more practical sense, maybe you (OP) should try to use an EQ with an auto-gain feature in order to figure out if you're really going for a lower volume or actually need to tame frequencies. This helped me a ton when I was trying to get a better grip on my mixes, but YMMV

I'm also a slow learner, so don't mind me
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Parricide (20-05-2018)
Old 20-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Really the easiest way to get what you want is to find examples you really like then copy the shit out of them by either finding a sample that's similar, pitching it up or down to match the original, then slap that thing into the track. hats dont need a ton of work to fit, especially if its a mix-ready sample.

If you're making your own hats by way of synthesis, of course that's a bit more work to accomplish, can be done using envelope filtering and white noise i guess, but i'd much rather FSU with a sample.

The most important thing in a hi hat for me is the act of wood hitting metal, the physicality of that needs to come through in the sound.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #25
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Really the easiest way to get what you want is to find examples you really like then copy the shit out of them by either finding a sample that's similar, pitching it up or down to match the original, then slap that thing into the track. hats dont need a ton of work to fit, especially if its a mix-ready sample.

If you're making your own hats by way of synthesis, of course that's a bit more work to accomplish, can be done using envelope filtering and white noise i guess, but i'd much rather FSU with a sample.

The most important thing in a hi hat for me is the act of wood hitting metal, the physicality of that needs to come through in the sound.
it's groove too.. hihat groove is the hardest part of building a beat loop especially if you want it to feel human. emulating an actual hat loop helps with learning the syncopation... but it's not just the wood on metal sound, it's the air and space within the room it was recorded that adds to it, something that's pretty much impossible to emulate perfectly with a mouse.

------------------
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #26
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,983 Posts

hihat groove is probably just as important as melodic content in music making. it doesn't even need to be a hihat sound, can be a block or a blip sound or any percussive shortstop non-pitched device that dictates the space between the downbeat and upswings. hihat groove can make or break a track.

Advertisements

------------------
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fid
Parricide (22-05-2018)