Why criticize someones art? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 31-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #61
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123
Re: Why criticize someones art?

I'm not the person to ask though I never programmed a DAW. You could just ask the designers on the technical support forums that is not that difficult, don't just take my word for it

Advertisements

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to hellscion
relic (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #62
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Okay fair enough. Maybe next time just dont raisie the point that you don't need to know how to get a quality sound because the DAW does it for you.

Last edited by RFJ; 31-03-2017 at 03:02 PM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #63
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Okay fair enough. Maybe just don't raise the point that you don't need to know how to get a quality sound because the DAW does it for you next time then.
there's 2 different things being said here though. The audio quality in modern DAW's is usually fine no matter what you do. And with the use of a lot of the software and even sampler cd's available you really don't have to do anything to get a good sound if that is how you want to look at it.

------------------
Thanks to hellscion
relic (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #64
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029991
Thanked 7,251 Times in 4,507 Posts

Right, ok lol.
But at this point I just need to remind you that the reason you got your panties all up in a bunch in the first place was because other members here gave a critique/feedback on your poor mix and almost ignored the song writing.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #65
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

also you do realize there's lots of settings in your DAW right...

------------------
Thanks to hellscion
relic (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #66
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Right, ok lol.
But at this point I just need to remind you that the reason you got your panties all up in a bunch in the first place was because other members here gave a critique/feedback on your poor mix and almost ignored the song writing.
lol, except I didn't....just like I'm not now........

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #67
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
Yeah but I just set them all to "I'm awesome" and then I can't go wrong, amirite?
Old 31-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #68
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:

Oh my God what the fuck are you even talking about?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #69
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
lol, except I didn't....just like I'm not now........
You sure?

Quote:
Thread deleted by hellscion
Reason: *sigh*
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #70
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
You sure?
that was because half the thread was deleted and it looked like i was having a lengthy conversation with myself....

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #71
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post

Oh my God what the fuck are you even talking about?
You wanted an explanation about background processes and things like that, there you go.....lol

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #72
lolirl
Administrator

Would you like me to reinstate it all?
Old 31-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #73
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

bacon hates us all

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #74
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillscion
It's when you do something wrong like setting the frequency in an envelope filter way too fast with a big reverb effect. and the audio starts getting louder exponentially. You can do this with newer software but it will cut automatically mute the channel/master whichever..You've never had this happen? I'm pointing this out because up to a point, certain period in time when people mentioned "the mix" or anything like that, this was what they were generally referring to

Some clarification, the low frequencies would damage your speaker, the high frequencies would damage your ears..I've encountered both but like i said it's been a few years and that is part of why i'm saying that I don't think it's an issue, there's built-in gain reduction and compression in just about everything these days..
There's no background process that alters the sound of a digital recording for protection scenarios or otherwise. If there was you wouldn't get digital clipping because the DAW's processes would regulate the signal for you before it got to the DAC. Modern hardware has gain reduction circuitry to clip overly strong signals instead of burning out the gain stage op amps, just like any quality audio device produced in the last 50 years. Every DAW I've ever used will let you produce a 1Hz signal or a 20k signal and red line it and it's transients to the point of clipping (again a function of the DAC circuit for electromechanical protection). Those are signals that can ruin speakers and ears and I've successfully made them in every DAW I've used without issue. The only difference between digital and analog is that you can actually destroy your signal path in analog do to electrical overload from incorrect configuration or faulty equipment.

It's impossible to produce a destructive signal made of 1s and 0s - everything altering and thus coloring the signal is in the ADC/DAC because that's where the issues arise and are dealt with. There's no reason for a DAW to protect anyone from anything because binary isn't dangerous and neither the DAW or it's programmers can predict what you're doing with it. There's no inherent compression in any DAW I've used past the natural compression of overloading a signal, ie clipping. That's easily provable with an oscilloscope. I've never once seen a DAW or plugin mute itself or reduce its volume because of a signal it was fed or was trying to output. It doesn't need to. Sounds like malarkey.

If you can point me towards non-anecdotal technical evidence to the contrary I'd encourage you to post it. It'd certainly be the first I'd seen in almost 30 years of doing this.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (31-03-2017)
Old 31-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #75
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

edit: turn your speakers down first...

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #76
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

So apparently Reaper has an automute function for exactly what you're talking about. That has to be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. Total horse by consensus territory. If there weren't posts on the cockos forums about it I'd swear it was a bug. The audacity of including something like that as a feature just floors me. If you're mixing with your speakers loud enough to hurt your ears you're doing it wrong anyway.

There's a reason that no professional DAW has that feature. It assumes that either Reaper and it's plugins are so janky as to cause problems or that I have no clue what I'm doing and my DAW must protect me. It's there to prevent user discomfort, I suppose, but that's on me, not my software. Ridiculous nannying.

You can apparently turn it off in Settings.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #77
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

lol, no they mostly all do that. With Reaper most of the knobs you can push past where they're supposed to stop, which I did here. Notice when I moved the eq slider all the way to the left, it kept going up/down. So you're correct, most other DAWs will probably not let you do that..

------------------
Old 31-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #78
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
NJ

if you find a way to push the output to +600db I would think some failsafe would kick in haha

------------------
Old 01-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #79
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

Hey I use Reaper. Don't really see myself doing all this feeback loop +660 dB stuff just to prove any points though...hey it's music, man!

WTF is this thread about?
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:18 AM   #80
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

I'd rather hear total truth. Bring it. I don't share in a place like this to get patted on the back. I've been making music all my life and putting out albums since 1998. I'm way over any ego attachment and I actually genuinely appreciate real insight from people. Of course something like "this blows" doesn't offer anything for me to learn from. However any real opinion is totally appreciated. I always want to grow, and you don't grow with people blowing sunshine up your ass.

If I were making things that hit my own standards of greatness, I probably wouldn't be seeking opinions. Onward and upwards

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote