Need help to recreate this choppy, pumping sound on my lead synth
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes
Bass Gorilla is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Need help to recreate this choppy, pumping sound on my lead synth

Hi I have tried to find a tutorial and tried figuring it out on my own but I cannot get the desired effect so would love if someone more knowledgable could help me. I think it may be a gate or side chain compressor to a ghost track or even some sort of lfo tool but just cannot get it right. It is the pumping sound at 1:30 at the drop

www .soundcloud.com/culturecode/adventure-club-wait-culture-code-remix

Advertisements

Bass Gorilla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes
Re: Need help to recreate this choppy, pumping sound on my lead synth

Haven't reached 30 posts yet so couldn't post the link straight lol
Old 20-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Just repeated notes. You can also use a buffer-repeater...or a stutter, gapper, tremolo, trance-gate, step(sequencer)-gate, etc, if you like that effect better.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
SiaKo
Granular Poster
SiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the rough
Austin, TX
MC Status: 310

There's a few different ways you can recreate that. Simplest way would be to add a auto pan on it and make the waveform very steep to get that choppy sound. You'll have to play around with automation to the get right rhythm. Or like you said use a gate or side chain, actually you could use both. Use the side chain to get a smooth pumping sound and trigger the gate with you want the stutter part.
SiaKo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
SiaKo
Granular Poster
SiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the rough
Austin, TX
MC Status: 310

Also everything i posted was assuming you use ableton but im sure the basic idea will pass over to any daw
SiaKo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Just repeated notes. You can also use a buffer-repeater...or a stutter, gapper, tremolo, trance-gate, step(sequencer)-gate, etc, if you like that effect better.
I don't think it is just repeated notes because it seems to have more of a pumping effect.
Old 20-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiaKo View Post
There's a few different ways you can recreate that. Simplest way would be to add a auto pan on it and make the waveform very steep to get that choppy sound. You'll have to play around with automation to the get right rhythm. Or like you said use a gate or side chain, actually you could use both. Use the side chain to get a smooth pumping sound and trigger the gate with you want the stutter part.
Could you explain in more detail what you mean or point me in the direction of a good tutorial because I have even tried with the auto pan but I just can't get that same pumping feel to it. Is there maybe something going on in the background to give the whole track more of a pumping feel which gives it the illusion of having that rhythm to it? Sorry if my questions seem noob I have been trying to get this for awhile and getting so frustrated I really appreciate the feedback.
And yes I do use live 9.
Old 20-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Gorilla View Post
I don't think it is just repeated notes because it seems to have more of a pumping effect.
Try turning the amp attack up a bit (ADSR).
The solution might be easier than one might think.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Kvlt O))) (20-08-2014)
Old 21-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
pafkaaa
Learning The Ropes
pafkaaa will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

im assuming you mean the synth part not the mid bass.

if it is the synth, here is what you do:

make 2 lead sounds:

1st is where you have it low passed with rate 1/12, experiment with resonance and cutoff. now the key is using right LFO, and it is saw. this is very important.
2nd is that same patch, but with sidechain on it to make it pump a little.

why 2? you have to separate them, in order to have that cutting sound, you cant have it also sidechained, i think it will kill it.
pafkaaa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Try turning the amp attack up a bit (ADSR).
The solution might be easier than one might think.
Thanks dude I will see if this helps, I was working in massive in which I had a lot more knowledge but now I am using spire because I feel it gets a much nicer sound for the supersaw but I am having trouble figuring it out and haven't found any decent tutorials for what i am trying to do in it which is just compounding the problem, so sorry if it seems like I am being lazy lol
Old 21-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Bass Gorilla
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafkaaa View Post
im assuming you mean the synth part not the mid bass.

if it is the synth, here is what you do:

make 2 lead sounds:

1st is where you have it low passed with rate 1/12, experiment with resonance and cutoff. now the key is using right LFO, and it is saw. this is very important.
2nd is that same patch, but with sidechain on it to make it pump a little.

why 2? you have to separate them, in order to have that cutting sound, you cant have it also sidechained, i think it will kill it.
yeah sorry mate should have made it more clear, it is the super saw sound I mean. Cool thanks man i never thought of having two different patches and processing them differently like that, when you say the 2nd one side chained do you mean to like a ghost track?
Old 21-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
pafkaaa
Learning The Ropes
pafkaaa will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Gorilla View Post
yeah sorry mate should have made it more clear, it is the super saw sound I mean. Cool thanks man i never thought of having two different patches and processing them differently like that, when you say the 2nd one side chained do you mean to like a ghost track?
ghost track or hand driven envelope. hand driven is more flexible, it is what i tend to do.

Advertisements

pafkaaa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote