Hudson Mohawke
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Denial
was once a goat
Denial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MC
whoa that's a lotta numbers
MC Status: 76730950
Hudson Mohawke

well, first off, i'd like to put it out there that there is no dedicated Hip Hop board on this site.. i'm not exactly a huge fan of the genre and realize many on this forum probably aren't either, but seeing as how influential beat-making is in electronic music nowadays, i think it's worth at least considering?

especially since there are so many great artists that fall under that classification, including this guy, who makes some really creative, borderline experimental tracks, as well as straight up, fresh beats.

enjoy :2gunsfiring_v1:

Advertisements

------------------
Denial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282934
Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,755 Posts
Re: Hudson Mohawke

ive been trying to get one on this forum for a while. althought it seems like the right place it's just not because its not where the Hip Hop Heads are at tbh. although there are lots of people here that like/enjoy it.

i started an instrumental hip hop thread in the 'music scene chat section'

and theres a 'who likes rap?' thread knocking about somewhere

other then that no real discussion goes off

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Denial
was once a goat
Denial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MC

huh. yeah, i myself am a fan mostly of instrumental Hip Hop, but seeing as how there are so many legendary beatmakers out there - DOOM, Dilla (RIP), Madlib, Onra, Dabrye, Blockhead, DJ Shadow, as well as hip-hop inspired artists like Starslinger, Gold Panda, and HudMo, just to name the few i can think of off the top of my head - you'd think people would take some interest.

------------------
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
huh. yeah, i myself am a fan mostly of instrumental Hip Hop, but seeing as how there are so many legendary beatmakers out there - DOOM, Dilla (RIP), Madlib, Onra, Dabrye, just to name the few i can think of off the top of my head - you'd think people would take some interest.
many do its just a small few who have it as their favourite genre and think about it all the time.... like me lol but thats only been in the last 6 - 8 months (always loved it but never to this extent)

then you want to hear all you can about it and constantly wonder why so many people appear to like it but not follow it up all the time. probably just me

------------------
Old 13-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Denial
was once a goat

haha yeah its basically been slowly dominating my listening habits lately. good beats are just infectious and addicting.

i wouldn't say it's all i listen to, but probably makes up a good 50%

oh and obviously i forgot to mention Flying Lotus in my lil' list

also you Brits seem to put out a really fucking cool brand of hip hop

------------------
Old 13-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
haha yeah its basically been slowly dominating my listening habits lately. good beats are just infectious and addicting.

i wouldn't say it's all i listen to, but probably makes up a good 50%

oh and obviously i forgot to mention Flying Lotus in my lil' list

also you Brits seem to put out a really fucking cool brand of hip hop
look into all this crazy 'new' LA beats scene shit (i call it that because i dno what else to call it)

it encorporates all sorts of electronic music, tempos, styles e.t.c under one roof and is very good yes?

------------------
Old 15-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Denial
was once a goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
look into all this crazy 'new' LA beats scene shit (i call it that because i dno what else to call it)

it encorporates all sorts of electronic music, tempos, styles e.t.c under one roof and is very good yes?
any examples?

------------------
Old 15-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89279773
Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,182 Posts

Fucking awesome...

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Denial
was once a goat

good job, you singled out some of his mediocre tracks.. to appreciate hip-hop you need to get off your high horse and learn to ignore the things you dont like about it. would you say you love every single track ever released by your favorite artist?

oh and if you werent being sarcastic, i apologize. smilies can be misleading

------------------
Old 15-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
any examples?
saw this guy play last night. fucking amazing. i had a little chat with him and shook his hand. made me feel cool even though it wouldve been cooler not to approach him lol

------------------
Old 15-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
Barak
Regular Freak
Barak will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Samiyam and HdMk are pretty awesome, but no doubt about FL ruling the scene of futuristic hip hop beats!haha..

also slugaed is a pretty good producer which also signed lately in Ninja Tune label, just have a taste of one of his latest Ep's -
Barak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River

Quote:
good job, you singled out some of his mediocre tracks.. to appreciate hip-hop you need to get off your high horse and learn to ignore the things you dont like about it. would you say you love every single track ever released by your favorite artist?

oh and if you werent being sarcastic, i apologize. smilies can be misleading
Nope, those are actually some of my favorite tracks by him.

------------------
Quote:
Old 15-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Hud Mo is sick, but Rustie is what the cool kids listen to. Because he's better. A lot better. But yeah, Polyfolk Dance ftw.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Denial
was once a goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sencesor View Post
Nope, those are actually some of my favorite tracks by him.
haha damn. sorry for being defensive. i have to say, the part i least like about hip hop is the actual rapping.. with the exception of DOOM, Madlib, Aesop Rock and a few others, i much prefer sticking to instrumentals, which i guess is why my HudMo favorites are different from yours.

but thats another thing that makes an artist worth listening to, appealing to multiple tastes

------------------
Old 16-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #15
Got Awesome?
Analog Lurker
Got Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MCGot Awesome? is a savage MC
MC Status: 525936

I like me some instrumental hip hop. I've heard of HudMo but never actually heard a tune, pretty impressive.

I got into the genre via DJ Shadow and Ninja Tune, and I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I still dig out:

Daedelus - Exquisite Corpse
Shadow - Endtro, Private Press
DJ Krush - Jaku
Blockhead - all of em
Prefuse 73
Sixtoo

and a few others from time to time. Seems to have died off a bit over the last few years I don't hear much new stuff. Krush is in town this weekend, I'm pretty psyched for that!

------------------
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
Got Awesome? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
Blaž
Microknight
Blaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MCBlaž is a savage MC
Izola
MC Status: 420775

wow I first heard of Slugabed and it is quite good - maybe a little too chiptunish for my taste as I think a lot of people are currently doing it but still original in a lot of ways

------------------
Blaž is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

Never been a huge Hudson Mohawke fan but yeah I really like whats happening with these artists doing these hip hop style beats mixed with a bunch of other crunchy, offbeat and wonky rhythm influences. Slugabed being one of my favorites right now.

There definitely needs to be a sub-forum for hip hop and trip hop.

Squeaky Lobster has a few awesome tracks in a similar vain:

Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Denial
was once a goat

if any of you guys would like to start some kind of "petition" to show the moderators that there's enough interest around the boards for a Hip Hop/Trip Hop/Beats-oriented subforum, let me know.

i mean, the Industrial sub-forum is pretty tiny, but still seems to generate enough buzz to stay alive.

on a sidenote, i just realized there is an Artists sub-sub-forum in this sub-forum, so maybe this should be there? dont know

------------------
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

Quote:
if any of you guys would like to start some kind of "petition" to show the moderators that there's enough interest around the boards for a Hip Hop/Trip Hop/Beats-oriented subforum, let me know.
Break Yo'self!

So far I found these:

who likes rap?

grimy trip hop

Fans of Instrumental Hip Hop...

------------------
Quote:
Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #20
Denial
was once a goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sencesor View Post
fur realz nukka, time 2 sturrt a hip-hop revoluttiun up n dis bitch

but seriously, good finds. FMB mentioned them in a previous post. looks like plenty activity in those threads, although i hadn't seen them up till now. but i think we can muster some support to show enough love for big beats and make a convincing case.

i think i'll go post a thread in the suggestions forum.

EDIT: done http://www.idmforums.com/showthread....037#post797037

Last edited by Denial; 10-12-2011 at 03:09 AM..

Advertisements

------------------