IDM Beats
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 22-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
FHBanker
Granular Poster
FHBanker will become famous soon enoughFHBanker will become famous soon enough
Austin
MC Status: 110
IDM Beats

What are some "standard" beats for IDM. I hear breaks are popular, but others say to experiment around. What do you think?

Advertisements

------------------
FHBanker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Squarepusher
Old 23-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
Re: IDM Beats

well the whole thing about good idm is that its experimental! So sometimes you will hear a bit of hip hop (aphex i care because you do album, boards of canada...) and sometimes there is more drumn bass ish, 150-180 bpm kick snare pattern. But theres generally some good complexity going on to keep it interesting.

The most important thing I keep reading is : the more interesting (movement, timbre chances, panning, volume changes etc) a sound is, the more you can enjoy repeated listens and not get bored. This I think is key to why stuff like autechre and aphex are so good to listen day and day after, you keep discovering new things like nuances in the background or cool effects like where the reverb on one drum is panned off while the drum itself stays in one position.

Just a while ago I noticed how some of the aphex stuff on richard d j album sounds like the kick drum is popping into dust or something which I think is accomplished by automating the distortion so it increases while the kick rings out so it sort of decays towards the end.

That to me is what makes "idm" so interesting, so I would say make whatever beats you like as long as they make you want to move, since this is after all dance music in a way even if it is best on headphones so youve got to feel it in your body. But get experimental and play with different automations of effects to make it really interesting...
Also, personally id say there is enough of that typical "idm" fast snappy glitch noises that everyone doind youtube tutorials seems to have mastered... theres enough of that out there.
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

Try to use unusual sounds for your drums. Don´t stick to regular rhythms. Do stick to the grid, though...
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Do stick to the grid, though...
Not necessarily.
Moving quantised patterns off the grid slightly can inject groove and feeling.
Urgency or a laid back vibe can both be achieved simply this way.
Try moving your percussion against the rest of your beat and see what happens.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763

good points and dont forget velocity adjustments! One can create a good groove based on good velocity variation even while sticking to the grid. I think thats how the aphex drukqs and vsnares stuff gets that natural feel even though its at superhuman speeds.
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
FHBanker
Granular Poster
FHBanker will become famous soon enoughFHBanker will become famous soon enough
Austin
MC Status: 110

Good idea, never thought about velocity, luckily Sunvox and FLStudio both have velocity adjustment automation

------------------
FHBanker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
bassling
Soundwave Mangler
bassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MC
Wagga Wagga
MC Status: 4417014

I like this explanation by bassnectar

------------------
More remixes at the Bassling blog
bassling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

IDM is just a label, you just take a genre you like and make it "experimental" by breaking the rules. Usually it's just sampled drums or bent drum machines.

Lately I've being listening to sainkho, he doesn't have any "standart IDM drums" or anything fancy like that, yet I'd say it's IDM when I don't know a better name for it, so it can be basicly anything.

Advertisements

Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote