What Was I Thinking [tech-house]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Radiophile
Analog Lurker
Radiophile will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
What Was I Thinking [tech-house]

Was going for some haunting tech. Would like greatly to hear opinions. thanks for listening.

Advertisements

Radiophile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - What Was I Thinking [tech-house].
Old 16-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
ChrisRacha
Granular Poster
ChrisRacha is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: What Was I Thinking [tech-house]

Some interesting ideas, but also some things I didn't like. My points of critique are mostly the slightly shifted clap/snare drum, I think it destroys the groove a bit to not have it tight with the kick. I also thing that some elements are not well balanced. This synth that already comes into the intro is a bit too loud with too much highs IMO, the sax could in turn be a bit louder and clearer.

Yet after all I really give you thumbs up, because it is a really unique sound and creates a nice atmosphere
ChrisRacha is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
justanotherdj
Regular Freak
justanotherdj will become famous soon enough

pretty good track overall, I agree about the snare being a bit annoying.

Enjoyed the saxaphone part. Nice track overall!
justanotherdj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Bucky TNP
Microknight
Bucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

I definitely liked it, but I think it could be mixed a little better to make all the parts stand out more, it seemed like some of the lines were buried under the rest of the track. The whole melody was nice though, and everything seemed to flow together pretty nicely, but I would just try and make it "pop" a little more, the track sounds like it should be a lot more prominent than it is
Bucky TNP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410

I think I'd get a snappier snare and a more powerful kick to the mix. Try also NY compression and working a bit with the levels on the mixdown, the synth solo line is drowning the bass too much at some moments imo.

Cheers

------------------
If you want to check out some of my music:

bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Hey everyone thanks for the replies,

The whole track and stems are with a good friend and an excellent producer Dan Marshell (check him out) he's polishing it and mastering so I'm going to see how it turns out with this guy

Interesting comments about the snare placement, I did agonize wheather to go late or not

I lifted the kick straight off a track by etienne de crecy, left it untouched, the snare itself is from my jomox

Defo right about the louder high synths I expect dan to sort that out

In terms of the mix its by far the clearest I've ever managed but that says more for how poor the other mixes are, constantly trying to improve

Thanks for this feedback ill repost it when it's all finished, I've done a few edits since
Old 17-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

I can go either way on the snare, it does give the track some character, but it can be distracting too. Maybe a little less of a nudge?

The mix was clean enough, but yeah, you could probably notch some space out of the various elements to get them to fit together a little better. Honestly though, it kind of fit with the loose vibe you've set up with the late snare, so I dunno.

The rest of it is pretty interesting indeed. Definitely unique and original. Quite nice actually.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Really like this but I'd have to agree about the snare
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
Really like this but I'd have to agree about the snare
Thats cool, what exactly is it the sound or the placement, or both

just wanna take everything into consideration
Old 18-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

The placement is too far off, maybe if you even just reduced the volume of the second one it might sit better
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Dankoss
Granular Poster
Dankoss is currently spamming hard

I agree with the placement of the snare.. it wouldnt really fit when transitioning into another track in a mix .
I think a short well placed clap would do the trick! overall tho nice track!
Dankoss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 22-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
VincentC
Analog Lurker
VincentC has a spectacular aura aboutVincentC has a spectacular aura aboutVincentC has a spectacular aura about
Detroit, MI
MC Status: 210

Dig it ..
I agree it could be mixed better ..
I would like to hear more deeper bass
Haunting.. maybe in a halloween kind of way .. not ominous though.

pretty nice arrangement too
VincentC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Haunting as in not happy latiny sounding tech house, was what I'm trying to get at there.

Believe me you wouldn't be asking for any more deep bass if you had ever heard anything I've ever tried to make with any more subbass, made a decision awhile ago I'm just never gonna work with it, I just can't tame it into anything I'm trying to make with it.

so ill leave well enough alone and my hair is starting to grow back
Old 22-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Agro Official
Minor Glitch
Agro Official is currently spamming hard
Vancouver

Yea, DAT SNARE needs to be changed. Other than that very good.
Agro Official is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Snare-gate

Must stress I'd throw up another version with the few edits, I have already done and in mind and all, but its under the artful hands of a friend of mine. So that's why it remains as is for the mo.

Must say though this is great I've put the track on up on other sites and nothing but eearry silence. Fair play to everyone taking time out to listen and comment, I'm relatively new on here but expect my critical eye running rule over your tracks soon.
Old 23-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Ron_Wicked
Regular Freak
Ron_Wicked is currently spamming hard
chessington

i have to say i quite like the snare.. it give the track a cool kinda loose almost jazzy feel??

as for the rest of the track, nice synths and i loved the inclusion of the sax..

i look forward to hearing the finished edit
Ron_Wicked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Hi, I'm currently taking a quick listen through my laptop so the speakers are far from great, but everything seems to come through alright. I think a lot of things here are subjective opinions rather than essential. Of all the things I'd suggest is centering the snare.

[edit]After humming that synth to myself in the intro. The sharp apreggiated style one, it seemed quite familiar the pattern. Not that it's the same exactly, but I'm sure I've heard something like that in a demo song for some software like Reason before or something in the past.

Last edited by Optimal Prime; 23-01-2013 at 12:59 PM..

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #19
Radiophile
Analog Lurker

Yeah a lot of things are subjective no doubt, but defo willing to listen to any advice if not to change anything in this one.

Not sure about your reason song, i use ableton, and the sound is from my virus, and the apegiator is the virus' native one. But hey it's not the most complex pattern it could be similar to something else I'm sure.

I know I keep bleating on about the final edit being on the way and yet no sign, will defo post up onto thread and brace myself again

Only kidding, I'm delighted with all this feedback it's beyond what I expected. Thanks everyone

Advertisements