The Hardware Thread - Page 51
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #1001
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: The Hardware Thread

The ESX is the sampler, the EMX is the synthesizer.

Both can sequence external gear but it eats up parts.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #1002
fimpson
fimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MC
Reasonably far away.
MC Status: 26773877

^ I see. I thought there was some freeky deeky acronym wizardry going on... thanks for the infoz!

------------------
Download my free 10 min EP from Brisbane netlabel Ender Beats

http://roppongi-sky.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/roppongi-sky
fimpson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #1003
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533030
Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimpson View Post
question: Could you sequence something like the Evolver with the EMX?
You could, but to IMO the Electribes don't make great sequencers for external synths. I spent a lot of time trying to sequence my Mopho with the ESX and it just never worked out. Per step editing is simply a pain in the ass and trying to record live playing it like a keyboard is damn near as bad.

As far as the ESX it's a great sampler, and I don't mind sequencing something like my M.Base kick synth with it...but not an awesome sequencer imo.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #1004
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Per step editing is simply a pain in the ass
I agree.

The way Korg handled this is just really not conducive to being able to create anything on the fly when the inspiration hits.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #1005
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I agree.

The way Korg handled this is just really not conducive to being able to create anything on the fly when the inspiration hits.
As far as being an on-the-grid drum machine, I love it though. Though I struggled with it's relatively high noise floor for a while, I've come to embrace it's lo-fi sound

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #1006
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457608
Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,802 Posts

I know where this is going, stop trying to convince me to buy a Machinedrum, I'm really struggling not to...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #1007
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
As far as being an on-the-grid drum machine, I love it though. Though I struggled with it's relatively high noise floor for a while, I've come to embrace it's lo-fi sound
Yeah it's a great drum machine but the more I get into the drums and synthesizing perc sounds on the MM the more I find my ESX collecting dust.

I read once, don't remember who said it, that if you haven't touched a piece of gear in six months it's time for it to go.

This gives me pause for thought as related to my Electribe.

I really liked it when I first got it, not that I don't like it anymore, it's just that it just sits there...doing nothing.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #1008
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Oh and another thing...

Automageddon you should get a Machinedrum.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #1009
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Oh and another thing...

Automageddon you should get a Machinedrum.

Do it. Dooooooo Eeeeeiiiiiit!

Also...yea...been considering getting rid of mine as well!

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #1010
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Hey Automageddon...

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #1011
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^HA! You are such a loveable SOB... ;p

I kid, I kid...but seriously...that vid makes my check book cringe.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #1012
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Hide your wallet, burn your check book, close your accounts...

Monomachine sequencing here:

Last edited by RFJ; 09-11-2012 at 01:09 AM..

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #1013
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

-__-

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #1014
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

I'm just going to link that guys channel because it's AMAZING:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

He makes it all look sooooooooo easy.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #1015
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^I wish I were Monomachine-ing and not grading.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #1016
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Yeah I'm working too, well, more like "working."

I can't Monomachine till tomorrow but the wife goes out of town so I'm planning on having sex with it for all practical purposes.

Going to try and really dig into FM+ and see where it takes me.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #1017
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I feel ya man...lol...sexing w/ the monomachine...love it!

I've not really, really dove into the FM machines...but I like there sound a lot! Just go crazy...I know you've had your MNM for a while...but try layering different kinds of machines...an octave above or below the other. I like the DPRO saw with an FM up an octave.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #1018
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Here's something stupid....

Since my production time is usually limited to like 3 hour blocks of time I've never really just sat there and tried to make sounds. my work with it has always been in the context of making a track for one thing or another. So thanks for the tip because tomorrow and Saturday I plan on just working on sound design for sound design purposes only.

It will either be really fun or really disastrous, depending on me not the machine.

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #1019
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Here's something stupid....

Since my production time is usually limited to like 3 hour blocks of time I've never really just sat there and tried to make sounds. my work with it has always been in the context of making a track for one thing or another. So thanks for the tip because tomorrow and Saturday I plan on just working on sound design for sound design purposes only.

It will either be really fun or really disastrous, depending on me not the machine.
I'm not knocking you man, but that's kinda unfortunate. I think it'll be worth it to do that occasionally ;p

------------------
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #1020
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

I know you're not knocking me there, see the thing is I'm always in a hurry to just make a track. Discipline and patience are not strong suits of mine but are fairly important requirements if you want to be able to make something of value.

I've tried to be more dicipline this year though, in fact it all really started when I asked you to help me with mixing technique, back in march, I think it was. When I started trying to do shit the right way and not short cut. As I've said before it really helped me by leaps and bounds by implementing a few simple things.

So yeah, now that I can make something that is of reasonable quality mix wise, the next thing on my list to tackle is improving my sound design work and trying to move beyond the traditional bass / lead / simple pad on top of some drums type thing, so saying as I've got a fairly good grasp on subtractive...

I've decided to start with FM syntheses.

When I talked with unknown__artist the one thing that really stuck with me from that conversation was when he said that he never sits down to write a track. Instead, he plays with sounds. I feel this is the next step in where I want to go and so I'm going to start this weekend.

Advertisements

------------------