Midi Trigger Sound Clicks during playback - whats the cause
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1833127
Midi Trigger Sound Clicks during playback - whats the cause

Ive posted this on another forum, in the mean time here also as I need some help please.

Running Cubase 9.0.30. I have not noticed this before, but this is the first time I have experimented in what I'm doing.
In Diva or any other vst I am simply setting up a simple Sine only patch (Diva = [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) for reference.

Ive set up a simple 4 bar loop set at triplets (have also tried 4/4 quantise). None of the notes overlap.

What I am experiencing (and I tried a similar init and sine patch in Spire), is a clicking that I can not fathom out where it is coming from. Initially I started in Spire and thought I was doing something wrong with the settings when i got the clicks, so I loaded Diva and again the clicking is prevalent. Not all patches demonstrate this, it seems to be the midi playback on the sine patch Ive set. Maybe something Ive done wrong in the patch?

Is this a Cubase error, something Im not understanding in the synth programming or other?

Heres the cubase project (very simple few bars of 3 notes across 4 mesures and an 8 bar kick loop).
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I confess my synth programing skills are limited, but I am trying to understand and mitigate the cause of these clicks. Its driving me nuts.

Heres the wav file exported to demonstrate the clicking

16bit

32bit

Hope Ive submitted enough to help resolve
Thanks in advance. Might even be a simple rookie error ( of which I should probably know better)

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34710
Re: Midi Trigger Sound Clicks during playback - whats the cause

Have you tried making the attack just a little longer and seeing if the clicking still happens? That might give you a hint as to whether it's in the DAW or both default presets.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12560

Yeah, try to increase the attack time, apply low pass filter, does the click sound change?
Get rid of all synth plugins in the project, import a drum loop - only use one audio channel and check if it's still there.
Is something going through your audio interface?

I can't listen to the files right now, it's not the metronome, right?

*edit
Ive listened to the audio files. This sounds like envelope clicking, how do you have the envelopes set? Try a short attack, full sustain, short release amp envelope.

Last edited by Schnork; 20-08-2017 at 10:45 AM..

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023341
Thanked 7,118 Times in 4,434 Posts

I'm not sure if this is related at all, but a friend of mine has recently had the same issues after some kind of windows or driver update.

Totally working fine one day, then clicky audio the next.
He's pretty pissed off about it.

Could it be that?

edit: My friend managed to fix his issue using latencymon.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote