how do I make the ableton sessiondry kit sound real?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 17-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20210
how do I make the ableton sessiondry kit sound real?

I have a very simple problem, I can't afford a drumkit and ableton has prerecorded a drumrack with acoustic drum samples, but when I put together soft rock drum patterns, it sounds just like that, a drum pattern, I want it to sound like a real drummer, some people have recommended velocity and slight shifts in time, that helps a little, but there's also the problem with the samples, nothing sounds right, and there's this reverb on some of them that is in the recording, it's frustrating, I've tried eqing it, but that doesn't work well as I suck at eq, I want it to sound tight and tuned, I don't want that reverb all over it, any suggestions?

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529680
Thanked 6,775 Times in 4,828 Posts
Re: how do I make the ableton sessiondry kit sound real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I have a very simple problem, I can't afford a drumkit and ableton has prerecorded a drumrack with acoustic drum samples, but when I put together soft rock drum patterns, it sounds just like that, a drum pattern, I want it to sound like a real drummer, some people have recommended velocity and slight shifts in time, that helps a little, but there's also the problem with the samples, nothing sounds right, and there's this reverb on some of them that is in the recording, it's frustrating, I've tried eqing it, but that doesn't work well as I suck at eq, I want it to sound tight and tuned, I don't want that reverb all over it, any suggestions?

Maybe try chopping some recorded loops. Not a super elegant solution, but it may end up sounding more "loose" than programmed beats. Otherwise, you'll probably just have to invest in something like Toontracks, Supior Drummer or Steven Slate Drums.

There still isn't really a subsitute for live, human instrument playing.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110

There's probably a few free drum samples flying around the internet. I believe musicradar had some a while ago. I think I remember using this a while back. ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 17-08-2017 at 05:43 AM..
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34560

You need multisamples for that. Controlling the velocity when it's simply mapped to volume isn't going to do a whole lot to humanize the kit. That's why kontakt libraries and superiordrummer exist, depending on exactly how 'realistic' you want to go.

I suggest picking up a better live pack for starters, unless the one in question is actually multisampled.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (17-08-2017)
Old 17-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12460

If I remember correctly, you can control the hi hats with the mod wheel. Not sure what it's mapped to (I think Amp Decay), but I had some pretty nice results tweaking the mod wheel like mad.

Velocity edits on Bass Drum and Snare Drum and a random LFO mapped to velocity on hats can produce quite convincing results.

Recording automation live with the Mod wheel mapped to Amp Decay on Open Hats

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529680
Thanked 6,775 Times in 4,828 Posts

I've always liked random LFO to pitch on hats as well. Or just pitching the hits up and down a bit yourself. I still think the easiest and least expensive solution might still be chopping up live breaks. But I'm an old DnB head, so I think that is the solution to everything ;p

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7910

The velocity plugin in Live has a random feature that I abuse constantly. Set the mid point, and it'll go louder or quieter based on that.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532127
Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,208 Posts

think about acoustic space...

When i use drum racks i tend to go into them and add an aux in the drum rack w a very "roomy" sounding verb, 100% wet and i'll often put a compressor on the verb w slow attack and decay ive been using the Waves API2500, but The Glue Comp in Ableton does a fantastic job.

once thats set up I go in and listen while the drum pattern is playing adding aux to snare, hats, toms, even some on the kick.

pattern-wise, i find for acoustic drums I get better results from playing keys or a mpc style pad controller as I'll naturally vary the velocities. I typically quantize, but not a 100% sort of thing, i'll try 50 or 60 to keep a little push and pull in the actual programming.

to ditch the verb that is printed on the samples you can mess w the envelopes, making the decay times shorter.

I've been able to do some really quite convincing Metal and like, post-rock percussion with those Ableton Drum kits, but have since moved on to NI's Session Drummer. The NI is what I used for my last solo doom metal release. (:

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (21-08-2017)
Old 21-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12460

^Send Effects on Drum Racks, good tip!

There are quite a few parameters in Ableton's devices that have a 'random' value you can dial in - Impulse even lets you randomly modulate velocity, filter, and quite a few other parameters you can set for each sample. Usually around 3-5 % give very nice subtle results.
Simpler has them as well, not sure about Sampler, usually I use that one for granular-like stuff anyway, not drums.

Also recording automation with the mod wheel gives more natural results. You would have to reassign the mod wheel and record several parameters, but depending how you place your hand on the wheel you can get pretty good results. Try different ways of placing your hand, different ways of moving the wheel etc., if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Schnork; 21-08-2017 at 07:04 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote