Porter Robinson used Best Buy speakers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310
Porter Robinson used Best Buy speakers

I should have shared this a long time ago but this should give you guys a lot of hope.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
"This is my complete setup. It consists of a computer monitor, some software, the lowest-end M-Audio soundcard and some KRK Rokit6's.

"This setup is actually more hi-fi than what i produced my EP Spitfire on. For that record, I used my computer's onboard soundcard and those $100 logitech consumer speakers from best buy I mentioned earlier. Again: no hardware"
For those you has never heard of his Spitfire EP here are some and just skim through them. So you can hear what music sounds like when you got no hardware at all.

I'm not saying hardware is bad. But its crucial to understand that most daws today or even back then are capable of doing almost everything when it comes to mixing and writing/composing music. Most people here loves to use hardware which is cool and totally fine. Though I sometimes get the feeling that some people ( not just this forum in particular) believes that to make something like what porter did you really need hardware.

If you do understand how or what mixing is and most importantly how well composed music is made you wouldnt stress about levels or gears half of the time. Or discuss and debate whats the correct level in the master channel etc.

Of course at the end of the day everyone needs experience, trail and errors just so they can grasp the concept. But I feel like there are no better proof than this so far, that you can achieve greatness without having expensive things.
Because really the "magic" comes from your head.

Again please I'm not against hardware for I one day will be using them when I can afford it, its just this should give a lot of people a better picture or something to think about now and then especially for those who are lost.

Cheers

Advertisements

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
Anapsys (27-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Lyncaster
Master of the LFO
Lyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MCLyncaster is a savage MC
West Side Nigga
MC Status: 3794842
Re: Porter Robinson used Best Buy speakers

k.

------------------
Llamas are getting on my tits

Lyncaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410

There's hope for me yet then... !!
RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

"When I'm making sentimental trancey fluffiness, I like to have some equally saccharine aromas filling the room."

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

i don't like that sound.

it's repetitive and reductive.
arpeggiated chords and white noise risers make me nauseous.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Yeah I don't like it either but I agree with the point neyus is trying to make.
You don't need expensive equipment to produce something that sounds "well produced" just as expensive equipment is going to magically make your stuff sound good if you don't know how to use it...

Should be obvious but I guess it isn't...

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

If you know your monitors, you know your monitors.

Btw, did Porter mix and master Spitfire? Hmm..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post

Probably not I would assume. But then again, his material must have sounded "good" enough for someone to see its "potential" after some polishing...

Still don't like his music though... Especially that second song makes me want to

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

Quote:

I can guarantee you he didn't.

People just don't seem to understand that music production isn't about having the best gear. All the work is done between the desk and the chair.

Lol, get what works for you lot seriously.

Take Nicky Romero for example, His hit that made him blow up is insanely simple. He just had it click for him.

Take a look:

Skip to 21:39
or open this link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Madeon mixes and masters his own stuff. I got this from an AMA he did. The dude is younger than Porter Robinson and worked with him before they both changed their names and got big. So its not surprising if they helped each other along the way.

I really think people can be afraid sometimes, that they can't mix or master themselves. But that usually happens when people just don't understand when or what mixing and mastering is. I believe anyone can do it themselves today if they are good learners and are good with knowing what is a bad mix and a good mix.

It takes a lot of patience which I understand not many people have especially if they are just getting into it like right now while they got a full time job on the side. Though if you have the will nothing can stop you except yourself.

^
Another reason why age matters. Its just much harder to dive into something else when you are older UNLESS you are still living with your folks or you're in a safe condition where you dont have to pay bills and can concentrate for a bunch of hours in one day!

Last edited by neyus; 28-08-2013 at 04:06 PM..

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts

I choose not to work with sub par equipment. I dont really care what other people do, unless they ask my advice. And am an ass for thinking that if you are going to compress your tracks to hell like these guys do you might as well not bother w decent monitors anyway?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
neyus
Digital Surfer

Well I wouldnt say your an ass but I don't see any laws or rules where it says you cant use monitors if you're going to compress your tracks like porter robinson.

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
Well I wouldnt say your an ass but I don't see any laws or rules where it says you cant use monitors if you're going to compress your tracks like porter robinson.
My thought is it seems kinda pointless to use decent monitors when you are gonna smash the life out of things. But more power to them. I hope they ride the trends like a cheap whore and cash out when the time is right.

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
neyus
Digital Surfer

Judging by your attitude I already know where this is going. Let me tell you something though just because his music doesnt match your definition of what sounds good, it doesnt mean you can alter the definition or the standards of when to not use monitors or what not.

Lighten up a bit

=-=-=

I just realized you're from Grumpytown. Fair enough lol

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Look. Im trying not to have an attitude these days. But it kinda..kinda...seemed like you came I here going after people who make the choice to use better equipment or ....?

I really have nothing against any of these cats or their music even though I dont like thier music. Im just not sure what your point is...lots of people have made fantastic (subjective) tunes on low quality equipment...Mr. Robison isnt special because of it...

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
neyus
Digital Surfer

But thats the point of this thread lol Is you don't necessarily need expensive equipment to make good music.

If anything this should give hope! And should be an eyeopener.

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Though I sometimes get the feeling that some people ( not just this forum in particular) believes that to make something like what porter did you really need hardware.
I would agree 100%

most people dont need any hardware for anything because they dont know how to make a good tune in the first place

but at the same time, for some of us, its just fun! playing with gadgets and shit ya kno

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DCA
neyus (28-08-2013)
Old 28-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
neyus
Digital Surfer

Yep thats usually the procedure once the mix is done is that they send it to a mastering house, do their small tweaking and thats that.

Also thanks to Waves plugins, most of their stuff is emulated so well that is sound 90-95% like the actual hardware. Even if it isnt 100% it goes along way.

------------------
Old 28-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Yep thats usually the procedure once the mix is done is that they send it to a mastering house, do their small tweaking and thats that.

Also thanks to Waves plugins, most of their stuff is emulated so well that is sound 90-95% like the actual hardware. Even if it isnt 100% it goes along way.

i picked up the waves bundle when they had their big sale... best decision i ever made

the L1 Ultramaximizer is brilliant

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
neyus
Digital Surfer

Worth every penny man especially when they have that big ass sale.

Advertisements

------------------