What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it?

Just wondering what made you guys pursue music production and the age at which you started????

Advertisements

iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639
Re: What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it?

As hilarious as it may seem, I actually got my first taste of the production love with *cringes* MTV music generator for the Playstation back in 98-99. Come to think of it, that program was really awesome for it's time. Then it was onto Acid Pro in 2000-01, FL Studio 02-TODAY!

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
relic (15-08-2013)
Old 15-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530180
Thanked 6,785 Times in 4,835 Posts

ld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon Vhon Skream View Post
As hilarious as it may seem, I actually got my first taste of the production love with *cringes* MTV music generator for the Playstation back in 98-99. Come to think of it, that program was really awesome for it's time. Then it was onto Acid Pro in 2000-01, FL Studio 02-TODAY!
Dude. There was a lot of GOOD early Dubstep/Dark Garage made on the UK version of that music thingy for PS1.o

@OP: Honestly it was all DnB producers that made me want to learn how to produce. Then after I quit for several years it was stuff like I mentioned above...that dark garage from people like El-B and really early Skream or Benga tunes that were rough and minimal but just had vibes for days...

...I also got into it because I wanted to mix those influences into a spoken word poetry album. Still haven't gotten around to that project, lol.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
ld

Dude. There was a lot of GOOD early Dubstep/Dark Garage made on the UK version of that music thingy for PS1.o

@OP: Honestly it was all DnB producers that made me want to learn how to produce. Then after I quit for several years it was stuff like I mentioned above...that dark garage from people like El-B and really early Skream or Benga tunes that were rough and minimal but just had vibes for days...

...I also got into it because I wanted to mix those influences into a spoken word poetry album. Still haven't gotten around to that project, lol.
The DnB templates and pads were amazing on the generator. The more and more I think about it, I would actually like to pick that up again. The visuals that you could build were pretty fucking awesome too.

------------------
Old 15-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I wonder if the old PS1 is still in my parents basement...

------------------
Old 15-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

I imagine you could find a ps1 dirt cheap at a pawn shop or the interwebs, as well as the music generator. The first one is the best, I didn't really care about the second release. (It seemed geared more toward hip-hop/House all that jazz.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
relic (15-08-2013)
Old 15-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532177
Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,208 Posts

i could never find people interested in starting a band. (i wasn't interested in starting some douchey metal band, i always preferred more atmospheric sounds)

so in HS i purchased a 4 track, some guitar efx and eventually a sampler. this was in 97.

i never looked back.

Last edited by chasedobson; 15-08-2013 at 08:52 PM..

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (15-08-2013)
Old 15-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I actually started being interested in computer music when me and some friends wanted to start a band in secondary school, it would be something post-rock oriented and I always thought additional electronics are super cool. So I started looking up computer/electronic music, got to know some real cool artists (also stumbled upon this forum). Started experimenting, thought it was pretty cool and and kept on focusing more on it.
Right now our 'band' still hasn't really started getting serious but I'm already getting some cool music done on my own

So basically, wanted to be cool and learn how to use electronic stuff for my band. The band hasn't got together yet but I really liked making music on my own. So yeah...
Started out like a year or a year and a half ago.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

You know how often I hear people say that they either couldn't get a band together or got frustrated playing in bands was their reason for starting to make electronic/computer music...A LOT...I'm curious to see how many more people say that here...

------------------
Thanks to relic
Nyul (15-08-2013)
Old 15-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I just wanted to make music and if isn't possible in a band then I'll just do it on my own

I think I actually prefer making music on my own (or I haven't found the correct bandmates yet).
We did some rehearsals and jam sessions over the years but I never really liked it, it's fun to do but it always frustrates me in a way that I don't have total control.
Also being able to build slowly until it's just as I'd want it is great.

EDIT: I would love to do a live performance once though, that's much easier with a band

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
relic (15-08-2013)
Old 15-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
You know how often I hear people say that they either couldn't get a band together or got frustrated playing in bands was their reason for starting to make electronic/computer music...A LOT...I'm curious to see how many more people say that here...
Personally, I started out with the intention of self producing just because of the area that I was growing up in had no scene whatsoever. It made perfect sense. Plus it's so much easier to do it yourself and not have others blabbering about how shit should be different. Not that there is anything wrong with input, but I think sometimes it would get old.

------------------
Old 15-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532177
Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,208 Posts

well, part of my issue is/was im hard to work with in a band. i've "been known" to be harshly critical... now I'm just harshly critical of my own parts. it works out well, no feelings get hurt and I don't have anyone but myself to kick out of the band for being mediocre.

i've kicked myself out of the band so many times....

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (17-08-2013)
Old 17-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

i started about a year ago (almost exactly now actually) because i first found electronic music through skrillex (lol) and just dug deeper and deeper. eventually i wanted to try it myself since i was pretty much listening to it 7-10 hours a day, started looking into how to go about it and such and eventually got my hands on ableton 8. after that i just went through as many tutorials as i could on how to use ableton, synthesis, basic music theory and the like and ive been working at it since.

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

i wanted to understand what i was listening to.

i'm a designer / visual artist by training / profession. i am very very much aware of the fact that you can't understand a work of art unless you understand the methods (and, in my personal opinion, and to a lesser extent, the conceptual framework that led to) that went into producing that piece.

understanding is still the goal for me. i may be attempting to create spaces with sound most of the time, but in the end, i'm just doing it all to be a more competent critic. if so happen to create something worth sharing (something accessible but not even remotely driven by expectations other than mine), i may share, but not for now....
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
relic (17-08-2013)
Old 17-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Very cool! Its always interesting to hear what motivated people do music! I can completely relate with the whole "band thing not being your thing so you decided to do this on your own by turning to production. When I was younger I wanted to be a guitarist but after playing in a band for sometime and discovering that I work best creatively when I am alone I turned to producing.
iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

I started producing music in my house around 96 or so on a 4 track cassette unit and my guitar processor at the time. Mostly demos for my band(s) over the years. Stuff to show the drummer. I just evolved from that as most people did over the years, from CRTs and soft white computer cases and windoes 98 to the sleek whatchamajiggies we have now. In 2002 you'd have a hard time finding all the plugins that are out now, but I do remember there being the Khaerjus Audio Classic series back then which were some of the first ones i used.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

ive never even thought about being in a band nevermind actually trying to form one, but i can sort of relate to the 'i work better on my own' thing. i just dont really work that well with people, at least musically anyway. the times ive been in a friends and am messing around on ableton and they ask me to try this and that just annoys me eventually. i havent collaborated yet and i dont think i will until i find someone with a similar 'fuck off and let me do my thing' workflow. i guess we all love our freedom eh?

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
pattmayne
Learning The Ropes
pattmayne is currently spamming hard
Canada
MC Status: 10

I used to go to raves with friends, and I started making tracks in FLStudio with a friend. We would use the drum patterns from different dance genres (usually DNB) but try to make compositions rather than dance tracks. I found I had a knack for it, and it's really fun, so I've been exploring new sonic territories as a hobbyist ever since. It's been around ten years now I've been producing, releasing stuff with a netlabel.
pattmayne is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023341
Thanked 7,118 Times in 4,434 Posts

Got kicked out of college.
I never really wanted to do English, Business Studies and Maths anyway.
Maths was the first to go, as you'd expect and then the whole thing fell apart.

I went to a different college and started a 'Music Technology' course mainly interested in playing guitar and meeting some new people to form a band with and learn how to mix and produce.

There were a lot of Cubasis sessions on the course and no way to record guitar into the classroom computers (there was no audio capability at all basically and only 16 Mb of RAM anyway iirc) so I got into MIDI and specifically Yamaha's XG editing of MIDI sounds. It was a revelation and coincided brilliantly with my discovery of electronic music at the time.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I went to college and got an English degree, along the way I started DJing (DnB mostly), then by th end I was applying to MFA's in creative writing. Went to a studio program for writing, still DJing, started to fiddle with FL Studio. I wanted to make DnB, but also wanted to combine spoken word poetry with what I was doing music wise.

Along the way I worked for various poetry centers and a literary small press. I found out that the literary academic publishing world's idea of "peer review" was more along the lines of "we will publish your drivel if you publish ours" and was complete bullshit. I also found out soon after graduating that what we were told about degree = dream job teaching writing was a huge pile of human mouth feces. Now I mostly teach freshman essay writing and teach creative writing to people who want to write vampire drivel or by JK Rowling, or spend the whole semester writing (badly) about gay demon hunters...

A bit late to the game, I heard some stuff like Skream, Benga, Coki, Mala and wanted to start producing again...stopped writing to concentrate on that...still haven't started that poetry/music project yet...but I'm feeling good about getting it underway this fall.

Anyway, hoping to find a publisher or label for some kind of multimedia spoken word poetry + synths and some beats type project when I finish it. Like a CD + book of words type deal

Advertisements

------------------