Official Jazz thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 31-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #41
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295720
Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,571 Posts
Re: Official Jazz thread

Good posts, man!

Here's something I adore. One of Robert Miles' latest directions.

And yes that is THE Robert Miles who did 'Children'.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #42
Halma
Knob Twiddler
Halma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond repute
For Those Who Know
MC Status: 9146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Steed View Post
Good posts, man!

Here's something I adore. One of Robert Miles' latest directions.

And yes that is THE Robert Miles who did 'Children'.

WOOT! This one is dope. Haven´t heard this before. Awesome shit. Reminds me alot of some classic compositions. I will buy this one...for sure. Thanks for that.

Sebastian

------------------
I've been doin' some thinkin',
'bout the nature of the universe,
turns out things are gettin' better,
it's just people that are getting worse (Mose Allison)
Halma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #43
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC

No worries.

Got some more.

This makes me melt.

This is just mindblowng. Brilliant modern alt jazz-funk band.

------------------
Quote:
Quote:
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Old 31-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
Halma
Knob Twiddler
Halma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond repute
For Those Who Know

Good ones. The Acoustic Ladyland sounds really interesting.

One of the "newer" Jazz records that hides somewhere in my shelf. I have to search this one again. It´s a sideproject from my man Carl Craig straight out of Detroit. I love him (not really ).

Innerzone Orchestra - Bug In The Bassbin (Jazz Version)

Sebastian

------------------
Old 31-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #45
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist

I feel so sexy listening to this.

------------------
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #46
Halma
Knob Twiddler
For Those Who Know

A few more for the night...

Another Holy Grail of Jazz. This Records goes for 300$ and more. Good luck in finding this one as a original. Sahib Shihab produced most of his records in Europe. He played flute and sax sometimes in a slightly different way. Very hard. But with so much soul...

Sahib Shihab - Om Mani Padme Um

Some Spiritual Jazz from the Black Jazz label. Beautiful.

Doug Carn - Western Sunrise

Dirty and raw. A real dancefloor jazz classic. And not for the average user.

Stone Alliance - Sweetie-Pie

Another classic from the scene. This one is one of their rare tunes that is even danceable. But they keep this shit real. It´s crazy playing this one in a club and watching 200 people totally freaking out.

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Theme De Yoyo

One of my favorite Blue Note recordings. Live from 1969. So damn cool. But Lonnie did so many great albums, it was really a hard decision which one to show.

Lonnie Smith - Move Your Hands

Sebastian

------------------
Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #47
Halma
Knob Twiddler
For Those Who Know

Some fresh Jazz to keep things alive...

The first track for today is "Baltimore Oriole" from Lorez Alexandria. Released in 1978 this one is a pure analog drum and bass track that´s more than 30 years old. As I listened to this for the first time in the studio of a friend of mine I was thinking like "What the f..k!".

Lorez Alexandria - Baltimore Oriole

Anybody here who don´t know Bill Cosby? Of course most of you know him and the Bill Cosby Show. But do you know his song "Hicky Burr"? A hell of a track which will rule every party. Enjoy his collaboration with Quincy Jones.

Bill Cosby - Hikky Burr

In some of my last posts I already mentioned Trudy Pitts. This time I show you "Organology" from her other album which was released on the Prestige label too. Beautiful artwork btw. This is how you have to play the B3!

Trudy Pitts - Organology

Dom Um Romano...woot! One of my favorite brazilian artists. This little gem has everything you need to keep the dancefloor on fire. I love this (and the Rhodes of course)! :banana:

Dom Um Romao - Samba De Nanh

Edu Lobo is another great artist from Brazil. Mostly known for his "Upa Neguinho" this one is another popular song from him. Enjoy!

Edu Lobo - Reza

From Brazil we now head straight to Poland and listen to "The Novi Singers". Some awesome vocalists with a lot of skill (and soul of course). Enjoy!

The Novi Singers - Torpedo

The last one comes from Wolfgang Dauner. "Take Off Your Clothes to Feel the Setting Sun" is the kind of hippie sound you´ll enjoy in the summer while hanging around at the beach with some of your best friends. Released in Germany in 1970. Some kind of Psyche Soul Jazz and more...

Wolfgang Dauner - Take Off Your Clothes to Feel the Setting Sun

Enjoy!

Sebastian

Last edited by Halma; 05-08-2010 at 11:59 AM..

------------------
Old 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #48
Halma
Knob Twiddler
For Those Who Know

Hi, it´s me again. I´m hanging around at my girlfriends flat, the sun is shining and I´m feeling fine. So here we go again. Some nice Jazz tunes for a nice weekend.

To Be - Glücklich

Tania Maria - Transamazonica

Quarteto Em Cy / Tamba Trio - Vento Bravo

Berry Lipman - Exotic Drums

Ambros Seelos Orchester - Mabusso

Willi Bobo & The Bo Gents - Broasted or fried

Enjoy!

Sebastian

------------------
Old 14-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #49
Halma
Knob Twiddler
For Those Who Know

Good morning Jazz People!

Today we start with Karin Krog, one of the most famous jazz singers from norway. Enjoy her astonishing voice in "Ode to Billy Joe" together with another exceptional artist: Dexter Gordon.

Karin Krog - Ode to Billy Joe

Some of you might know the following tune because "All Seeing I" hit #11 in the UK single charts with their cover version of it in 1998. But this one is the shit. Buddy Rich on drums with his 12-year-old daughter Cathy on vocals.

Buddy Rich - The Beat Goes On

Perphaps most of you do know Ravi Shankar. But this time I will show you his nephew Ananda Shankar who did a few highly sought after records in the 70s. Pure psychedelic Funk Jazz from India. There are far too many great tunes out there from him but how about this one...

Ananda Shankar-Streets Of Calcutta

From India back to Europe and the famous MPS (Music Produktion Schwarzwald) label from Germany. Awesome label, lot of must have records. One of them is "Noisy Silence - Gentle Noise" from the Dave Pike Set. Check out Mathar. A shure shot on every party.

Dave Pike - Mathar

The next one is a classic. Sampled a lot of times by numerous artists. Bob James "Nautilus" from his CTI album "One". A really deep one.

Bob James - Nautilus

IMHO one of the most important music records of all time. David Axelrods "Song of Innocence" on Capitol from 1969. Imagine one huge orchestra, some jazzy elements and a funky drummer in the background and you will have one of the most sampled records in HipHop history (Cypress Hill, A Tribe Called Quest etc). He was also the producer of Cannonball Adderley and a few others.

David Axelrod - Song Of Innocence

Another "Cypress Hill" sample. Gary Burtons "Las Vegas Tango".

GARY BURTON Las Vegas tango

The last one is another classic from the scene. Eddie Russ "Lope Song". Groove on...

Eddie Russ - Lope Song

Sebastian

Last edited by Halma; 14-08-2010 at 11:29 AM..

------------------
Old 14-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #50
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

this is the kind of stuff that like , euro/fusion feel

oh btw Chander sardjoe ( the drummer ) is just insane , last time i saw him live it was one the best music experience in my life

Last edited by essenthy; 14-08-2010 at 11:47 AM..

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #51
Halma
Knob Twiddler
For Those Who Know

Some new Jazz Love...

A damn funky B3 Groover. This one is for your feet.

Bobby Forrester - Uncle Funky

The next one is one of the best drummers ever: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie. Very famous in the 60s & 70s. Here we go...

Bernard "Pretty" Purdie - Hap'nin

Anf for the latin lovers overhere I will recommend you a guy called Pucho. He and his latin Soulbrothers made a bunch of awesome records in the 60s. If you see one of them grab it. You won´t be disappointed.

Pucho & His Latin Soul Brothers Chitterlings Con Carne

From the OST "Fritz The Cat" comes this classic. Mamblues by Cal Tjader. Enjoy!

Cal Tjader - Mamblues

And now Ladies and Gentleman: Mr. Peter Herbholzheimer. He died earlier this year in Cologne and made some great recordings in the 70´s and 80´s. Enjoy his super duper funky track "The Catfish".

Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination And Brass - The Catfish

One of my personal favorites. I played this one every night and the crowd went mad. Awesome tune from this british Jazz Rock group.

Nucleus - Rat's Bag

And now one of the funkiest combos from brazil: Banda Black Rio. Back in the days their records were so much sought after you wonn´t believe it.

Black Banda Rio - Mr. Funky Samba

Finally one of the rarest Jazz records of all time: Don Cunningham Quartet "Something For Everyone". If I remember correctly a small record company called Luv N` Haight paid more than 1000 bucks in the early 90s to grab a copy for a reissue. Only 500 original copies have been pressed and sold on concerts.

Don Cunningham Quartet - Something For Everyone

Well, that´s it for now...have a nice day and groove on! :banana:

Sebastian

------------------
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #52
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571251

i don't know what took me so long to find out about this thread :d

some favourites of mine :

harmony progression goes really really crazy at about 5:00 till the end of the video

i've always loved the music of these guys...

also ... Medeski, Martin & Wood

slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #53
Tode
IDMf Artist
Tode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MC
Göteborg
MC Status: 108655302

Bumping this thread!

I've had a bit of a Dave Brubeck period for quite a while I'm totally mental about Blue Rondo a la Turk, but I'm moving towards Charles Mingus at the moment- I've gone through a bunch of his live albums. I've also been listening to some Paco Pastorius and Weather Report the last few days. Going to post some favorites.

Tode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #54
Tode
IDMf Artist
Tode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MCTode is a savage MC
Göteborg

Bumping this thread!

I've had a bit of a Dave Brubeck period for quite a while I'm totally mental about Blue Rondo a la Turk, but I'm moving towards Charles Mingus at the moment- I've gone through a bunch of his live albums. I've also been listening to some Paco Pastorius and Weather Report the last few days. Going to post some favorites.

Old 16-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #55
Mindprowler
Analog Lurker
Mindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MCMindprowler is a savage MC
British Columbia
MC Status: 108498

John Zooooooooooorn.

------------------
Mindprowler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #56
chooko
Soundscaper
chooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MCchooko is a savage MC
Mid/Side Europe
MC Status: 142000

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehermit View Post
Desmond and Jim Hall are the shit
wow this is incredible, thanks!
do you know any similar artists?

btw,
my favorite is this one:

------------------

chooko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #57
Tode
IDMf Artist
Göteborg

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:
You guys should really check this out! It's NPR's Jazz Profiles a ton of great documentaries about an hour long each. Lovely material, mighty inspiring to listen to some of them.

http://www.npr.org/series/10208861/npr-s-jazz-profiles
Old 27-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #58
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066

Jazz is close to my heart as well. I used to be Head of engineering at one of the UK's biggest radio production companies (Occasionally I still freelance for it). I used to be the engineer for a programme called Jazz on 3 on BBC Radio 3 awesome programme that just one a Sony Gold Radio award. Jazzz on 3 showcases some of the best Jazz there is and alos has no problem poking around in the fringes of Jazz and the avant garde. You can listen using the BBC I player and use the listen again feature.

Interesting I have yet to master much Jazz music though I did master this trio recently....

http://www.1224project.co.uk/#/home/4544940664

cheers

------------------
Barry Gardner - SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #59
tuneboxii
Savage Mad Cunt
tuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MC
MC Status: 13085889

fkin sexy version this one!! i'd love to have a transcript. alas i cant be bothered. thats the spirit!!!

------------------
tuneboxii is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #60
Tode
IDMf Artist
Göteborg

Nice one tuneboxii, you got any more?

Really loving Ornette Colemans album The Shape of Jazz to Come featuring Charlie Haden on bass. It's one of the first free jazz records notable because they have no real chord player, which was the concept. Basically they started off with a simple chord structure then Charlie Haden just followed what was playing and moved with the music. It's such a monumental and brilliant piece of work. Hauntingly beautiful if you ask me.

Advertisements