Spor - should he come back or is his Feed Me alias all we need? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 25-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #21
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760
Re: Spor...Should he come back or is his Feed Me alias all we need?

his recent spor stuff ive heard has beren god awful infact imo his last dnb stuff was crap aswell imo.
so im kinda optimistic to see what it is plus theres artists like audio who just smash it every time imo

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO
MC Status: 2410

His productions are magnificent but it's obvious what has happened is that DnB has shown some signs of uptrend and he wants to jump back in it.
rinseit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
h3xal1te
h3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant future
Glasgow
MC Status: 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinseit View Post
His productions are magnificent but it's obvious what has happened is that DnB has shown some signs of uptrend and he wants to jump back in it.
I don't think that's the case at all tbh, he's got a thriving career in the Electro scene and no amount of "uptrend" will make D&B anywhere near as popular as his Feed Me material is. I think the Spor album comes from a genuine love of the music rather than any sort of trend-hopping.

------------------
Find me on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook for D&B and other Electronica

Check out my blog for D&B News and Reviews.

h3xal1te is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3xal1te View Post
I don't think that's the case at all tbh, he's got a thriving career in the Electro scene and no amount of "uptrend" will make D&B anywhere near as popular as his Feed Me material is.
I don't think it's about making himself more popular (as in numbers), but more popular (as in not-a-wanker). When he turned his back on his original fans (the DnB fans), from what I recall, he was frustrated with that scene... the lack of money, politics, etc. Management and everyone involved saw dollar signs in FeedMe and that's where all the attention went. Why focus on just one genre anyway?

Granted, it was a good move, because with FeedMe he earned the cash and popularity he needed to be able to take things to the next level, beyond music, now showing off his art and technical prowess via the whole immersive visual experience thing.

Quote:
I think the Spor album comes from a genuine love of the music rather than any sort of trend-hopping.
I just don't trust he does anything out of real passion or sense of respect anymore. After meeting him in person and seeing his personality first-hand, I feel like he's not motivated by idealistic things like love, or passion or respect; especially in respect to drum and bass. A couple of years ago, he was in town, and we took him to dinner before one of his festival gigs as FeedMe. His passive and nonchalant attitude about DnB really caught us off guard especially since our crew was one of the first people to ever book him as Spor in the states. There was no reminiscing, no music banter, and none of the typical conversation we usually have with headliners. Instead, he came off to us like some self-serving wanker. He pretty much treated us like nobodies, despite the fact that we are integral parts of the local and worldwide dnb scene. So -- in short, I guess my opinion is now biased.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
h3xal1te
h3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant futureh3xal1te has a brilliant future
Glasgow

Quote:
I just don't trust he does anything out of real passion or sense of respect anymore. After meeting him in person and seeing his personality first-hand, I feel like he's not motivated by idealistic things like love, or passion or respect; especially in respect to drum and bass. A couple of years ago, he was in town, and we took him to dinner before one of his festival gigs as FeedMe. His passive and nonchalant attitude about DnB really caught us off guard especially since our crew was one of the first people to ever book him as Spor in the states. There was no reminiscing, no music banter, and none of the typical conversation we usually have with headliners. Instead, he came off to us like some self-serving wanker. He pretty much treated us like nobodies, despite the fact that we are integral parts of the local dnb scene. So -- in short, I guess my opinion is now biased.
That's a shame...unfortunately a lot of musicians aren't very nice people on a personal level. I think it's easy for people to become conceited when they have legions of adoring fans constantly massaging their ego. Shame, but I try not to get too bent out of shape about these things - if you stop listening to music because the musicians are less than perfect people you'd rapidly be left with nothing to listen to.

------------------

Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #26
rinseit
Microknight
Denver, CO

Quote:
That's a shame...unfortunately a lot of musicians aren't very nice people on a personal level. I think it's easy for people to become conceited when they have legions of adoring fans constantly massaging their ego.
yeah.. a case of success ruining authenticity.

Quote:
Shame, but I try not to get too bent out of shape about these things - if you stop listening to music because the musicians are less than perfect people you'd rapidly be left with nothing to listen to.
I don't know.. when you are a musician yourself... or even just a creator.. you learn that building connections and relationships is a key part of reaching success. When a fellow creator has stopped valuing those ideals you lose respect for them. The attitude of "oh, now I'm above these people, they can't help me get anywhere, so I don't have to be nice to them.." is such a nasty thing to witness, I am surprised so many folks fall into it. It must be some trap...some self-perpetuating cycle...like a virus trying to infect everyone who reaches a certain level of success.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #27
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Quote:
I don't know.. when you are a musician yourself... or even just a creator.. you learn that building connections and relationships is a key part of reaching success. When a fellow creator has stopped valuing those ideals you lose respect for them. The attitude of "oh, now I'm above these people, they can't help me get anywhere, so I don't have to be nice to them.." is such a nasty thing to witness, I am surprised so many folks fall into it. It must be some trap...some self-perpetuating cycle...like a virus trying to infect everyone who reaches a certain level of success.
Yeah I know what you mean, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when people behave like that. I don't understand where it comes from either, but it seems pretty common - either great success in music has a tendency to corrupt people in this way, or the sort of people who tend to be successful in music are already prone to this kind of flawed character. My point wasn't so much that you should respect these people (clearly you shouldn't), but more that I tend to try and detach my appreciation of music from whether I respect the musician who made it. There are plenty of unbelievably good records made by people who are, from all accounts, total assholes.

Either way, Spor was one of the names that got me into D&B in the first place, and his old tunes still have a special place in my collection, so I'm interested to see what he comes up with when this album surfaces.

------------------

Old 16-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
Monkey P.
Analog Lurker
Monkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

A small musical update: A song of the new Spor album was played on BBC Radio 1.

Since I can't post links yet, search on youtube for Spor - As I Need You (BBC Radio 1 rip). Vocals are by Tasha Baxter.
Monkey P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #29
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey P. View Post
A small musical update: A song of the new Spor album was played on BBC Radio 1.

Since I can't post links yet, search on youtube for Spor - As I Need You (BBC Radio 1 rip). Vocals are by Tasha Baxter.
Heard this the other day, it's alright but it wasn't setting my world alight tbh. Embed here for everyone else's benefit:

He also did a remix for The Prodigy recently which also didn't thrill me massively.

I'll definitely give the album a listen when it comes out but I'm kinda not holding my breath.

------------------

Old 20-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #30
Shepartone
Granular Poster
Shepartone has a spectacular aura aboutShepartone has a spectacular aura aboutShepartone has a spectacular aura about
Louisville
MC Status: 210

Listening to the Spor album right now. I haven't listened to DnB in about as long as he's been producing as Feed Me, but this stuff is pretty damn good. I think moving over to Feed Me for a bit and gaining some popularity was the best thing he could have done for the DnB side of his music. Glad he's gone back to DnB, the dude is talented and I don't want to hear only one of his styles if he has more to offer.

------------------
Shepartone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #31
Geelist
IDMf Artist
Geelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MC
MC Status: 214609

I listened in the car last night. Sounds amazing! Only went to get some petrol and ended up driving around listening to most of the album
Geelist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #32
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Yeah I'm enjoying the record for the most part. Not a huge fan of Empire (bit too "rawk" for me) but there are definitely some great tracks on there. Not sure if it's up there with my favourites from his back cat but not too shabby at all.

------------------

Thanks to h3xal1te
Geelist (22-02-2015)
Old 21-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #33
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174

Spor, my friend, I've needed this...

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stereo Surgeon
Geelist (22-02-2015)
Old 22-02-2015, 03:44 AM   #34
Geelist
IDMf Artist
Geelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MC
MC Status: 214609
Re: Spor - should he come back or is his Feed Me alias all we need?

The second track......wow!
Geelist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #35
Anapsys
Analog Lurker
Anapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to behold
Near Seattle
MC Status: 910

I'm not sure Caligo will have any staying power at this point. I want to believe Jon is making a heroic return, but I just feel suspicious about him. Almost disenchanted. The BitTorrent release seems like a cool thing to do, but given how upset he gets about leaks I can't imagine it was done for anything but publicity.

------------------
Lurker. Current projects: The World we Leave Behind LP, Extant LP on Archaic Audio
Anapsys is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #36
h3xal1te
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anapsys View Post
I'm not sure Caligo will have any staying power at this point. I want to believe Jon is making a heroic return, but I just feel suspicious about him. Almost disenchanted. The BitTorrent release seems like a cool thing to do, but given how upset he gets about leaks I can't imagine it was done for anything but publicity.
I must admit for all that I've enjoyed the album so far I don't think it will stick with me in the way that his older tracks have done. The whole project seems to have been done on a whim as a distraction/novelty, but I think once the brief UK tour is over he'll be straight back to doing his Feed Me thing. Them's the breaks, hah!

------------------

Old 23-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #37
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts

I can't even get that shit to download lol

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #38
Anapsys
Analog Lurker
Anapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to beholdAnapsys is a splendid one to behold
Near Seattle

I got stuck at 93%, around 7% of the data wasn't even available! I just missed out on the "goodies" though. All the tracks downloaded fine.

------------------
Lurker. Current projects: The World we Leave Behind LP, Extant LP on Archaic Audio
Old 23-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #39
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174

Spor... buddy. you need some fucking seed bins..

just saying.

Seed ratio is like 0.013

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #40
Anapsys
Analog Lurker
Near Seattle

I also find it interesting how, in his reddit AmA, he called the current state of Neurofunk "boring" "tech porn", when tracks on Caligo just sound like boring attempts at neurofunk (E.G. Always Right Never Left, Blue Room). Possibly a little arrogance there.

Advertisements

------------------