Most complex drum programmer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Most complex drum programmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds91 View Post
drum loops that are programmed on a one shot basis, not chopped up loops. In other words, using actual drum fills and patterns that a real drummer would used but obviously sequenced electronically.
I'd look specifically into techstep/skullstep for what you are describing. It's more techno/industrial-focused programmed breakbeats. The vast majority of breakcore is just smashed up amens, the above-reference genres are a bit more what you are describing.

Last edited by penguinoid; 02-09-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Advertisements

penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733536

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
I'd look specifically into techstep/skullstep for what you are describing. It's more techno/industrial-focused programmed breakbeats. The vast majority of breakcore is just smashed up amens, the above-reference genres are a bit more what you are describing.

if you want some skullstep check my blog [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

these days lots of skullstep has morphed into crossbreed wich is more about industrial distorted kickdrum but you can find lots of stuff in the back catalogue of label like Freak records

some example

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993380
Thanked 4,063 Times in 2,635 Posts

Isn't that choped amens ? esp. Limewax is exactly that. I don't see how this is built as a drum line with breaks and fills and how it's any complex.
Ok it may have a weird time signature and/or time division but I see no subtlety to it and any special attention given to the programming.
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #24
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

the one just before mine
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Isn't that choped amens ? esp. Limewax is exactly that. I don't see how this is built as a drum line with breaks and fills and how it's any complex.
Ok it may have a weird time signature and/or time division but I see no subtlety to it and any special attention given to the programming.

complex is not equal to subtilety in my book. there is lot of edit, lots of velocity edit especially wich make making a beat like this really complex.
give it a try and you'll see that it's really time consuming and complex to make a beat that flow this way. there is also lots of production tricks to make drum this phatt !
In fact you have to think like a real drummer to make drum like this otherwise they won't flow (in a wierd way though)
but i can understand it's not music for everybody as its pretty dark and heavy and actually really harsh

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
Lug
Soxdix

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
but i can understand it's not music for everybody as its pretty dark and heavy and actually really harsh
absolutely not what I meant - not impressed by that side of stuff at all
I'm gonna give it a deeper listen later ; but it felt pretty raw to me

edit : listening now, still not buying it. Whatever, man

Last edited by Lug; 04-09-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
lungbutter13
Minor Glitch
lungbutter13 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Venetian snares hands down the most complex rythmically,not only does he make use of odd time signatures but he also phrases them strangely makes use of polyrythm,syncopates and heavily uses triplets sometimes all within one track.His extremely fast bpms also tend to mean that when youve listened to 10 r 20 seconds of a track its more diverse complex programming rythmically than youd hear an average dnb artist do in a whole album...thats not an exaggeration!For people not used to this level of detail and variation it can sound random and noisey,i assure you its the opposite of random though.

------------------
lungbutter13 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
VTMS
Sample Destroyer
VTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MC
MC Status: 8847272

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
complex is not equal to subtilety in my book. there is lot of edit, lots of velocity edit especially wich make making a beat like this really complex.
give it a try and you'll see that it's really time consuming and complex to make a beat that flow this way. there is also lots of production tricks to make drum this phatt !
In fact you have to think like a real drummer to make drum like this otherwise they won't flow (in a wierd way though)
I've actually tried to do a song using only loops and chopped up loops and think it is way harder to do anything half decent than to program everything using single hits. Regardless of genre.
VTMS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Dr Insano
Microknight
Dr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to all
London
MC Status: 560

Xanopticon by a light-year. Nearly everything he makes is ridiculous.

If we're talking exclusively in DnB, probably Lucio de Rimanez and Current Value's older stuff, and on occasion Limewax.
Dr Insano is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

Venetian Snares for breakage, Xanopticon for synthetic stuff.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #31
CylockDNB
Granular Poster
CylockDNB will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

In DNB, possibly Current Value and definitely Evol Intent & Ewun. Other genres, I can't say off the top of my head.
CylockDNB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
Armitage
Minor Glitch
Armitage will become famous soon enoughArmitage will become famous soon enough
Eberswalde
MC Status: 110

yeah xanopticon makes some weird beats!
Armitage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #33
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

Quote:
Here's the thing though. I find IDM style drums to be interesting and certainly not predictable, but that's not what I'm looking for in this case. I do believe it's the right sub forum still, but honestly I'm happy to hear anyone's suggestions from other genres, even ambient and big beat could work for me.

What I'd really love to hear is drum sequencing that sounds like it's generally coming from a conventional kit (not glitch sounds) sequenced the way a real drummer might play but still having the slight unrealistic nature that comes with computer sequenced drumming. The thing about chopped up breaks is, they sound like chopped up breaks. I like that in certain situations but not here.

I apologize for making this so specific and unusual. I'm sure this doesn't apply to the vast majority of electronic music but there must be something similar out there.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #34
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

Quote:
Here's the thing though. I find IDM style drums to be interesting and certainly not predictable, but that's not what I'm looking for in this case. I do believe it's the right sub forum still, but honestly I'm happy to hear anyone's suggestions from other genres, even ambient and big beat could work for me.

What I'd really love to hear is drum sequencing that sounds like it's generally coming from a conventional kit (not glitch sounds) sequenced the way a real drummer might play but still having the slight unrealistic nature that comes with computer sequenced drumming. The thing about chopped up breaks is, they sound like chopped up breaks. I like that in certain situations but not here.

I apologize for making this so specific and unusual. I'm sure this doesn't apply to the vast majority of electronic music but there must be something similar out there.
i think photek was one of the best drum programmers in D&B, not necessarily overly micro edited, just very good and clever grooves, that sound like they could be real, but are actually very hard to play live... But then people like Jo Jo Mayer were inspired by him and tried to emulate it with real drumming - pushing the art of drumming further.

Last edited by Delinquent Dialect; 18-05-2015 at 01:55 AM..

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Delinquent Dialect
lolirl (27-04-2015)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
bliprock
Minor Glitch
bliprock has a spectacular aura aboutbliprock has a spectacular aura aboutbliprock has a spectacular aura about
Brisbane
MC Status: 210

yeah I dig that photek. And alot of the other ones. I use sampler, so for me to do that style would mean, say one kit. But it is a big kit, with pitch variations and velocity layers. So might be only 16 pads but its 30-40 sample variations. Add amp envelopes, maybe be subtle LFO or pitch envelope on some timbres, like china hats, then through subtle reverb and compression to get a room sound to glue it together. That might take me a while then it just takes forever programming it. That is what blows me away with this stuff, because I know what is involved, sure software is involved a lot to, that helps. I cut and paste and try and change at least something every bar, then again and again. But kit variation is good to. i like the method I use because i can change the sample kit at any time to change things up or get a totally different sound with same beat.
bliprock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bliprock
Br/ainfu+ked (08-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #36
CylockDNB
Granular Poster
CylockDNB will become famous soon enough

I facking hate that I can't post links but…

Evol Intent - Double Glock

w w w . youtube . c o m /watch?v=t_1tHAbVIms
CylockDNB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #37
ghost_edm
Learning The Ropes
ghost_edm is currently spamming hard

In my opinion Venetian Snares hands down
ghost_edm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #38
sameola
Minor Glitch
sameola will become famous soon enough
Under there

Drukqs is the first thing that came to mind when I think complex drums, looks like a few others here thought the same.

ASC does some quality dnb. Im def gonna check out venetian snares, heard alotta good stuff bout him on this forum

Last edited by sameola; 29-10-2012 at 08:36 PM..
sameola is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #39
@PropagandaNC
Granular Poster
@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

This is the Drum & Bass forum right? How in the hell did The Roots get mentioned before Remarc?

"That shit ain't got no drums in it man! Why don't you put some fucking drums in it!"
@PropagandaNC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #40
meganeural
Regular Freak
meganeural is currently spamming hard

Tech Diff

Advertisements

meganeural is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote