[ambient] James Pingel - Room with a View
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26610
[ambient] James Pingel - Room with a View

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Hey guys, not sure how well the ambient label fits this song, but it's definitely not IDM/EDM. I was basically doing my take on ripping off Random Access Memories with this one, with a few modern twists worked in. But, I'm not putting this over in the releases section because I want to know what you think, any and all observations appreciated. I have no place to lead you or particular worries (outside of the snare, but I think it's passable).

Last edited by A.M; 12-02-2018 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Added SC player

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [ambient] James Pingel - Room with a View.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198360
Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,954 Posts
Re: [ambient] James Pingel - Room with a View

Just added the SC player to your post above.

Really liked this, though it kinda seems to repeat a bit and might need a little something else in there to add interest..but that's not saying it's bad or anything..seriously..I personally liked it as it currently is..even liked and shared over on SC.

It's really funny that you say this is your take on ripping off Random Access Memories..it really reminds me more of the early 80s hit "Waiting For A Train" from Flash And The Pan..both this track of yours and their song could nearly be mashed up perfectly, if the speed was adjusted slightly. Have a listen and you'll see what I mean.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
PPNDP
Radial Developer
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760

I like this one, very uplifting chords - remind me a lot '90/'00 and make it sentimental too. Maybe only this kick is too heavy for the mood. Sounds a bit like Daft Punk but I would add some funky bass line in the second part to animate it a bit .
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

This might not make much sense. I'm sleep deprived like nobody's business.

I like where this is going, but I feel like it's definitely missing some bass! The snare seems to be somewhat off the grid, which can be a good technique for a clap or other type of transient to emphasize the snare, but with this type of bare-bones setup for the drums it just sounds improperly quantized (even though this obviously isn't the case). On second / third listen it almost sounds like a flam that's much too spaced-apart. I still can't tell what's going on there, TBH but I'm kind of curious.

I like the minimal sound, but I feel like it could be elaborated upon further. Most of this stems from the lack of a bass and really stripped percussion setup, however I'm digging your output / creative progression as usual. Keep it up.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
pkreegi
Sample Destroyer
pkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

Vault made good points. I would try and see id a bassline with the same rythm as the hihats would work.
pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

It's midnight here guys, I saw AM and PPNDP's comments this morning and Vault's just now. I am working on a bassline, I'll have more time to work on it when I get up in about 7 hours, but the first version I did this morning dragged pretty hard. Vault, the snare is 1/6 a beat off-grid in the fastest pattern only. It has 3 layers if memory serves, and they might not quite line up, so that may compound it. I think I had a melody for this at one point, but I didn't like it (the idea of a lead for this song, the lead just didn't fit with that main synth pattern), so that's being modified into the bassline. I will certainly put that here for you guys at least when I get it presentable.

------------------
Old 23-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
This might not make much sense. I'm sleep deprived like nobody's business.

I like where this is going, but I feel like it's definitely missing some bass! The snare seems to be somewhat off the grid, which can be a good technique for a clap or other type of transient to emphasize the snare, but with this type of bare-bones setup for the drums it just sounds improperly quantized (even though this obviously isn't the case). On second / third listen it almost sounds like a flam that's much too spaced-apart. I still can't tell what's going on there, TBH but I'm kind of curious.

I like the minimal sound, but I feel like it could be elaborated upon further. Most of this stems from the lack of a bass and really stripped percussion setup, however I'm digging your output / creative progression as usual. Keep it up.
I totally agree with the part about the bass. A nice boomy bass line will work wonders during the busier parts of the song.

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Hey dudes, sorry this took a while, but here's a version with a bassline kind of thrown in haphazzardly. If this is on the right track, I might want to mix it a bit better and adjust the mastering chain more, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the results myself. It feels a little out of tune to me, but I mitigated that in the master eq.

------------------
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5011

Yeah, listened to both versions, the bass needs to stay I enjoyed the little arpeggio the most. What's more is that you're playing exactly the right chords I'm fond of. If you're going to expand that track, I could see a transition to a part where the main chords aren't as present or are gone and the arpeggio is looped (or maybe even put an octave down) and the bass and drums take the lead. Just my 2 cents, thanks for the evening mood with the chords

Advertisements

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote