[Lo-Fi House] PPNDP - Stay there
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
PPNDP
Radial Developer
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760
[Lo-Fi House] PPNDP - Stay there

Hi!

Here is my second track, I made use of your comments recently and work on the structure. Hope this one is better than the last one
It would be nice to hear some feedback (I am new in making music so, every comment is appreciated). Thank you.

Last edited by PPNDP; 05-02-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Advertisements

PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PPNDP
Dokan (09-02-2018)
Rate this track - [Lo-Fi House] PPNDP - Stay there.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10
Re: [Lo-Fi House] PPNDP - Stay there

Hey!

Cool track!

I don't appreciate all the Low Pass filtering you did on the drums, I think it is cool to do it from time to time but in my opinion, you overdone it

I would open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum.

I really like the textures at 2:35, they are soooo crunchy ehehe

------------------
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
PPNDP
Radial Developer
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATvrB View Post
Hey!

Cool track!

I don't appreciate all the Low Pass filtering you did on the drums, I think it is cool to do it from time to time but in my opinion, you overdone it

I would open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum.

I really like the textures at 2:35, they are soooo crunchy ehehe
Thanks for the comment! As I am learning, kick is always my biggest struggle. I have added saturator, overdrive, erosion and a bit warmer to keep it soft and lo-fi. I don't have experience, no idea what would be better. Will experiment more next time.

What do you mean by "open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum" and how to do that, I am so nooob, sorry I did not get to the 'frequency' part of using DAWs....
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
Thanks for the comment! As I am learning, kick is always my biggest struggle. I have added saturator, overdrive, erosion and a bit warmer to keep it soft and lo-fi. I don't have experience, no idea what would be better. Will experiment more next time.

What do you mean by "open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum" and how to do that, I am so nooob, sorry I did not get to the 'frequency' part of using DAWs....
Don't worry about asking "noob" questions, we all have them. The more confident we are about asking them, the faster we learn so please don't be shy

"Open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum" - What I mean is that the track is lacking mids and highs, at least the highs don't sound good on my sound system.

------------------
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
PPNDP
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATvrB View Post
Don't worry about asking "noob" questions, we all have them. The more confident we are about asking them, the faster we learn so please don't be shy

"Open up the mids and highs to have a fuller track on the frequency spectrum" - What I mean is that the track is lacking mids and highs, at least the highs don't sound good on my sound system.
I've read just about it. So, I am opening the spectrum analyser, and then use eq8 and do it like here?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The piano is high-pitched and it is irritating to my ears - is it in those moments when it needs cuts?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

I'm really into the whole lo fi house thing recently : ) I like the filter play with the hi hats. What happens at around 2 min is brilliant, but I'd say let the unfilitered hats ride for 16 bars or something. Its a nice build up, I want to dance longer before the song goes into chill mode again. My only concern structure wise is that tune is basically over before the crowd would have a chance to really get down to it. I feel like if I was spinning this song, I'd probably que up a second copy on another deck so I could extend the last minute or so.

Mix wise I agree that everything seems a bit muddy or muffled. Whatever FX you have on the hat (it's a filter FX to my ear), I agree there is too much of that. The track needs some energy in the higher frequencies where the hats are.

I'd probably wouldn't begin to fix this by adding more processing to your sounds, I'd probably start by stripping back some of what you've already done that has made things muddy/muffled. You probably don't need all those FX on the kick. If you want that subtle deep house kick, I'd look for a short 808 kick that doesn't have much high frequency content. Then just turn it down to make it subtle. Gain stage the other elements around the kick.

You've got a good draft here. It just needs some work : ) If this is actually the second song you've made ever, you beat the pants off the second song I ever made lol.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #7
PPNDP
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm really into the whole lo fi house thing recently : ) I like the filter play with the hi hats. What happens at around 2 min is brilliant, but I'd say let the unfilitered hats ride for 16 bars or something. Its a nice build up, I want to dance longer before the song goes into chill mode again. My only concern structure wise is that tune is basically over before the crowd would have a chance to really get down to it. I feel like if I was spinning this song, I'd probably que up a second copy on another deck so I could extend the last minute or so.

Mix wise I agree that everything seems a bit muddy or muffled. Whatever FX you have on the hat (it's a filter FX to my ear), I agree there is too much of that. The track needs some energy in the higher frequencies where the hats are.

I'd probably wouldn't begin to fix this by adding more processing to your sounds, I'd probably start by stripping back some of what you've already done that has made things muddy/muffled. You probably don't need all those FX on the kick. If you want that subtle deep house kick, I'd look for a short 808 kick that doesn't have much high frequency content. Then just turn it down to make it subtle. Gain stage the other elements around the kick.

You've got a good draft here. It just needs some work : ) If this is actually the second song you've made ever, you beat the pants off the second song I ever made lol.
Wow, thanks! Your comment is so so so useful. I am also into lo-fi recently. I will change all those things you talked about. To make it, I watched a lot of tutorials on lo-fi, there is also (on the Attack magazine) the deconstruction of DJ Boring - Winona. So, it was not impossible for a beginner to make it. There is plenty of geeks who shared the lo-fi secret recipe on YT /just write 'lo-fi house tutorial' hehe/. I have used their knowledge and improvise on it. I really enjoy making this sound and recording automation on filters. This is really fun music to do. The original thing I made was randomizing the two-step beat and adding in the background to make the beat deeper, finding vocal sample and chords. Also chopping the sample and stretching it was a bit tricky. Yes, it's too muddy, agree. Overdosed the chorus on vocal .

If you want all tuts, I watched making this, I will send you on the prv

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PPNDP; 08-02-2018 at 01:11 AM..
Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9060

I must say I'm not a fan of the tape hiss, nice groove though. Getting that low-fi sound can be as much about your source material as it is about processing it. I'll leave you with some links to sites with lots of vintage drum machine samples:
From this 1st site I'd recommend the Roland TR 626, and Yamaha RX7 packs 12 bit original samples.

This site has lots of packs some free some not. If you make a donation, it opens up all packs. The free ones are the ones that don't have see hint at bottom in the right hand box.

Drum machine and synth samples, Put these into folders before you unzip them, or they will be all over the place.

Some stuff here might be of interest.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #9
JKillz
Microknight
JKillz will become famous soon enoughJKillz will become famous soon enough
USA
MC Status: 110

Seems like you have a bunch of great feedback, so I will just share first impressions. There is some very interesting grooves coming from this. Very easy to dance to and with some polish could be a good track.

My only advice at this point is to not spend too much time tweaking it. It is better to move onto the next track and get a fresh start with what you learned. Rinse and repeat and before you know it, you are the one giving everyone the huge tips

Keep it up!
JKillz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
DoYouSeeWhatISe
Minor Glitch
DoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enoughDoYouSeeWhatISe will become famous soon enough
New England
MC Status: 110

I like it, reminds me of kaytranada. Some of your sweeping filters are a little predictable and basic in a tedious way. I hear what you are going for, but I feel like a slow phasing sweep should have more than just the frequency of the filter changing.

Also, I think the drums are one of the main things that keep it lowfi. I like lofi sound, and I make it often. The drums here definitely play a large role in the overall feel of the song. Changing them could potentially brighten up this track quite a bit.

Good track, keep it up
DoYouSeeWhatISe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #11
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Keep it up. Nice overall feel to the track. I would probably start with a straight kick drum and hi hat or just the kick and let the rhodes float in over that with the muffled voices also floating in building up to the break down where your track actually begins. You can always start a break down with a nice reverb kick or simple cymbal crash. I might add the clap on the 2 and 4 during that breakdown after 8 bars and let the kick fade in from there. I'm not a big fan of the distortion on the rhodes but if that is part of what you were going for with the lo-fi sound, then I can appreciate that.
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522554

Just to touch on what some others have said as well.. take what you've learned here on this song and move on. Next song whenever think you are going to do automated eq filtering, separate the region/splice/portion of the sample on to a separate track, and do the automation on that track. Mix that bit into the song, and move on.

Awesome vibe, great builds, and over all energy seems on point. There are a few structural things that I would like to hear change, but overall this sounds like a lot of other tunes from this genre. Maybe on your next track step outside the box, and switch up the arrangement to be a little different than everyone else.

Thanks for sharing.
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #13
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Just to play devil's advocate...I think there is also something to be said for pushing yourself to finish things. I've had years and years go by where all I did was half finish things. The more you teach yourself to polish a track, to really push past the blocks and issues, the better IMO.

That being said, early on it probably isn't a terrible idea to make more tracks and really experiment and not worry about end products so much.

------------------
Old 10-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
PPNDP
Radial Developer

Thanks for comments. I really appreciate. All are very useful. I think I will treat this one as a ground for further education. This morning I was experimenting with settings on reverb and delay to make vocal less muddy. Finally, I found a tut how to delay the last word and it works . Also, I extended the drop. I have so many unfinished stuff that maybe I will stay with this one for the weekend. And learn about all those equalising stuff and mixing at least. I will drop here the 'improved' version soon.

Last edited by PPNDP; 10-02-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
pkreegi
Sample Destroyer
pkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Just to play devil's advocate...I think there is also something to be said for pushing yourself to finish things. I've had years and years go by where all I did was half finish things. The more you teach yourself to polish a track, to really push past the blocks and issues, the better IMO.

That being said, early on it probably isn't a terrible idea to make more tracks and really experiment and not worry about end products so much.
Now these are some words to keep in mind. I might add that a track is finished about 10 times. The first time you say "done", you still start finding some stuff that could be better. By the way I just lately discovered, that closing my eyes and trying to "see" with my ears, is an absolutely fantastic idea: while looking at your DAW, you see all those lines and automations and midis and stuff, but if you close your eyes, you are much better in the role of a listener, not a producer, since you don't know what to expect (even though you have listened to the track for about 352 324 388 times).

So what I'm trying to add to relic's input is - just keep on listening, and you keep on finding mistakes to be fixed. The more you push yourself to finish and polish your track, the more it will get close to actually being finished.
pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I usually bounce to audio and type notes into Windows Stick Notes :p As you say, I don’t really listen to the music if I’m “watching” it play in my DAW. And yes, if I call something finished and release it I’ve probably called it “finished” more than once.

------------------
Old 11-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #17
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkreegi View Post
Now these are some words to keep in mind. I might add that a track is finished about 10 times. The first time you say "done", you still start finding some stuff that could be better. By the way I just lately discovered, that closing my eyes and trying to "see" with my ears, is an absolutely fantastic idea: while looking at your DAW, you see all those lines and automations and midis and stuff, but if you close your eyes, you are much better in the role of a listener, not a producer, since you don't know what to expect (even though you have listened to the track for about 352 324 388 times).

So what I'm trying to add to relic's input is - just keep on listening, and you keep on finding mistakes to be fixed. The more you push yourself to finish and polish your track, the more it will get close to actually being finished.
I think 10 times is about right. Although I have gotten into the teens like 14 or 15 (lost count at some point) on some earlier projects.

At least for me, properly finishing a track is harder than just beginning something new so one will learn a lot more and become a better producer over time by finishing their tracks, in my humble opinion.

Advertisements

Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote