Reel to Reel - Tape Video and wow - the cost
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 15-01-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1841677
Reel to Reel - Tape Video and wow - the cost

Advertisements

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947581
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,635 Posts
Re: Reel to Reel - Tape Video and wow - the cost

It really is. I've got a friend that has a R2R and it functions but has some issues, most of which had to do with gunked up spindles and oil that is so old that it basically does the opposite of what it was intended for. That in itself is not something that's difficult to fix but taking these things apart isn't easy sometimes and there are 30 different types of screws and you pretty much have to know what goes where if you're gonna maintain one for more than a few years. Plus the damn tape reels, yeah they get pricey.

I wouldn't use one for casual listening (and can you even call it casual at this point?) but I would love running a completed mixdown or even say something like just the drums summed through one and then mastering the result just to see if it added any glue/warmth to it.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Flexagon
Minor Glitch
Flexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud ofFlexagon has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Great video, thanks for sharing it.

I have a 2 track R2R that is currently being used as a TV stand as it wasn't working when given to me............. Very expensive to fix but seems criminal to throw it away. Apart from dreading what condition it is like inside I have nightmares about the head alignment process detailed in the manual.

Have done several projects that have been bounced to 2 track tape elsewhere during mastering and they came back sounding great. Other processes and skills being used at the same time of course so difficult to say what the tape alone is adding (or taking away!)
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562380
Thanked 7,429 Times in 5,251 Posts

It cant be worth the money. Id rather print a mix through some kind of modern analog summing device. But honestly U he Satin lives on my master. Works for me.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 174310
Thanked 3,486 Times in 2,078 Posts

I have quite bit to say on the topic. I took the tape machine geekery plunge some twelve years ago.

But the quick version is that what you get from the high end machines + new tape + perfect calibration... plugins have, by now, quite admirably emulated. Take my word for it. It's not all that worth investing in a Studer a810 anymore... though it's almost worth getting for the sheer pleasure of using something that was designed and built with as much care as the fucking Hubble telescope.

I have personally found it's the prosumer/hifi analog recording gear like cassette tape and lower ips r2r decks that provide the character and quirkyness that, I suspect, many look for.

Like... you like the 90 detroit techno sound? Old mackie consoles+quality cassette tape of the era are to techno what the Tube Screamer or Rat pedal is to 80's trash metal.

If a pluggie company made a devoted plug to nail that sound and wrapped it in the right marketing scheme/gui, they'd have a lil success on their hands.

Edit... Of all the r2r decks I have bought (most for bargain, ridiculous prices), the one that truly provided the warmest thickening/soft smearing/distorting is the Teac a2300 I got for fifteen bucks (and stupidly gave to a friend who doesnt really use it).
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Plus, this one has a playback level control that prevents you from clipping the output amplification circuitry when you slam the tape, something the B77 on the vid does not have. I have a B77 as well and to use it the way it is NOT meant to be used IE: going above the prescribed headroom of the machine, you have to open the hood and tweak the innards of the thing.

Last edited by thom; 23-01-2018 at 08:48 PM..
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5011

But I just want that BoC - Everything You Do Is A Balloon beginning synth sound No joke, always thought I would buy a 2-track for this and Olson.

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to StampedeMe
I/O_Madness (26-01-2018)
Old 26-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #7
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
But I just want that BoC - Everything You Do Is A Balloon beginning synth sound No joke, always thought I would buy a 2-track for this and Olson.

Do you use the full version of NI Kontakt by any chance?If so, check out Lost Horizon from Atom Hub..it only costs 5!

Code:

Last edited by A.M; 26-01-2018 at 12:36 AM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
StampedeMe
His Free Pass Has Expired
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 5011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Do you use the full version of NI Kontakt by any chance?If so, check out Lost Horizon from Atom Hub..it only costs €5!
Yeah, got it! Thanks for the tip. I got Retcon last year which is an amazing tool for this kind of sound too, just I don't find the interface friendly enough and can't go on with making arpeggios on it. People on the forums here are mostly after the absolute HQ sound so not wanting to be behind I wanted a 2-track I guess . This Last Horizon HUD looks simple, might be nicer to make things on the go. Will check more on that for sure, thank you.

Last edited by StampedeMe; 26-01-2018 at 11:01 AM..

------------------
Join the Regiment:
www.marquisdemorning.com

StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to StampedeMe
A.M (26-01-2018)
Old 26-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
Yeah, got it! Thanks for the tip. I got Retcon last year which is an amazing tool for this kind of sound too, just I don't find the interface friendly enough and can't go on with making arpeggios on it. People on the forums here are mostly after the absolute HQ sound so not wanting to be behind I wanted a 2-track I guess . This Last Horizon HUD looks simple, might be nicer to make things on the go. Will check more on that for sure, thank you.
Another one for Kontakt that you might find useful..and which is more on topic..is Loopscape from Rhythmic Robot, which usually sells for 25 + VAT on other sites around the net, but they are currently selling it on their own site for half price..12.50 + VAT.

I think you'll immediately hear the BOC connection..

Code:

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote