Using samples from movies... what are the licence issues and how to deal with them?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Sine6
Radial Developer
Sine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MC
Cologne
MC Status: 184732
Using samples from movies... what are the licence issues and how to deal with them?

Hey guys,

i'm not sure where would be the right place to post this, therefore i'm trying here.

There are lots of producers that use conversations or monologues sampled from movies in their production.
I was wondering if you guys could let me know what the implications are. Some of these productions are signed with popular record labels and some samples are commonly known, so i wonder how they deal with these issues. and i wonder how you would deal with them, if you are not signed and are not backed by a record label.

let me give you some examples:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

how do you get the rights to use samples like that?
do the licences for these samples expire at some point? and are you free to use them after a certain time? (like with patents)

thanks already and lets have a nice discussion!

cheers,
Lennart

Last edited by Sine6; 11-01-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Advertisements

Sine6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552330
Thanked 7,228 Times in 5,117 Posts
Re: Using samples from movies... what are the licence issues and how to deal with the

The easiest and most legal thing to do is stick with stuff that is in the public domain. Otherwise you have to ask the owner for permission; for popular movies that means dealing with giant production companies, which leads me to believe (if you actually got a hold of someone) the answer would either be “no” or you wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Its hard to know what any of these labels did. My understanding, which could be very wrong, is that as long as you aren’t making money off the song with the sample in question, is you would get a cease and disist order and if you followed that order you are unlikely to be prosecuted. I don’t know what the chances of that actually happening are.

Personally, I regularly use uncleared samples in my music, but I’d be really impressed if someone tracked them down to the original source. Either because of obscurity or sound mangling. In the past I’ve also made tunes that I only play live/in a DJ set with uncleared samples.

I understand the mentality behind using something everyone will recognize. You are essentially dropping a meme into your music—which is fine, a lot of my favorite dance stuff from the 90’s uses movie samples like this. I just try to avoid it and am slowly, but surely working up the balls to trying recording some of my own vocals. I just don’t really have practice space as I don’t live alone.

Also, if you just need some soulful house vocal phrases or just some other kind of raw material to work with, you might be able to get someone to record you some material pretty cheaply. I forget the names, but there are a couple online services that connect producers and vocalists now. The prices weren’t outrageous IMO. I know it isn’t really what you asked about.

The last thing I can think of, and again I could be so wrong here, is that a lot of this law actually applies only to the actual recorded material. So if you recorded the dialog yourself or with a friend you would be safe(r).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Sound-- (12-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Sine6
Radial Developer
Sine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MC
Cologne
MC Status: 184732
Re: Using samples from movies... what are the licence issues and how to deal with the

hey relic, thanks for your answer....
yes i had pretty much about the same thoughts that you have. i also work with uncleard samples sometimes, but so far, they are not very reconizable. but the thing that i want to do is to create recognizability, and to use the samples, that i know to create certain moods and atmospheres in the original context (the movie) to underline a similar mood in my tracks.
i see, that it probably wont be a problem if you only play them in a set (which is not recorded) or play them live, but if i produce a really good track, i dont want to limit myself to that.

i will try to ask these artists directly, maybe they will let me know what they did.

thanks for your reply, i will update this thread once i get an answer and am still keen to know what you other guys think

(also i fixed the links in the original post! sorry for that)
Sine6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 190260
Thanked 3,805 Times in 2,832 Posts

Relic is basically on the money about this..use at your own risk. Some artists are signed to labels owned by major studios..or the studios are owned by the company that owns the label they signed to, which basically opens doors for them that might not open so easy for the likes of you or me, without paying a large up-front fee first.

If they're not signed to a major label, then the chances are they just ripped the audio and used it as they wanted to..which is what most of us tend to so, but in doing so, you need to understand the risks, which Relic has already touched on..and which you already know yourself.

The audio from movies is copyrighted and..like it or not..the property of those who hold that copyright..so, worse case is you could end up in court and having to pay a fine..but a cease and desist order is more than likely if you're not making anything from the work in question.

Of course, there's always the angle that if you do get called out on using such audio, then the publicity could work in your favor, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47660

Always check out the stickies! Sometimes it's already covered

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (11-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470558
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,947 Posts

Let's face it, at the level most of us play, a sample from a movie is not likely to cause any issue at all, if you make it bigger, then your label might be able to clear it up, but even in that case it won't be easy to get the clearance.

Just use whatever you want and worry about it later, chances are nobody will care about what you used.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167560
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Let's face it, at the level most of us play, a sample from a movie is not likely to cause any issue at all, if you make it bigger, then your label might be able to clear it up, but even in that case it won't be easy to get the clearance.

Just use whatever you want and worry about it later, chances are nobody will care about what you used.

^^ truth

Sample and steal like a mad cunt. Then get sued aka free advertisement.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540027
Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,302 Posts

THIS SO HARD.

just make good tunes.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436309

If you start making enormous amounts of money selling your music and it has uncleared samples in it, you might be at risk.

If you're not making enormous amounts of money, it will probably never be an issue.

Your call.

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167560
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,007 Posts

Is infringement art a thing, btw?

If not, someone needs to fuck that hole.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47660

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Plunderphonics / vaporwave, possibly? I think that hole is now just a bloody mass on the side of the road

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
thom (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 35010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Fuck yes it is. Negativland basically pioneered it, but the mantle's been taken up since then.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Vocals

Some years ago I used sounds from movies. "Fix them up" and no one will recognize.
But now I tend not to. There is a lot of free stuff.
I like to look for some poetry in blogs or whatever. (youtube mostly) and if something good comes out of that. I ask premission to use them.

------------------
Looking for inspiration and free secondhand hardware.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10533301

I tend to sample movie dialog, I hope one day I'm in a position where I'm getting sued because at least i must of been selling a heap of tracks.

Until then I'll just keep sampling and dream of the day I get sued

Advertisements

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote