General Idea On What Instrument To Start EDM Tracks?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 19-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Daff Vibes
IDMf's latest spammer
Daff Vibes is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
General Idea On What Instrument To Start EDM Tracks?

Hey, I'm a new producer and have begun making music (actually sounds good so far for someone new) check my youtube Daff Vibes.

Anyhow, while it means a lot for anyone looking my channel up, I would like to get better with EDM music that I so love. Is there a general basis most go by when making this type of music?

For example, what instrument is typically used in most EDM tracks? Which instrument generally starts the track? The kicker? The snare? hi hat? etc.....

Would love to know<3

Advertisements

Daff Vibes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
pepehands
IDMf's latest spammer
pepehands is currently spamming hard
Re: General Idea On What Instrument To Start EDM Tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daff Vibes View Post

For example, what instrument is typically used in most EDM tracks? Which instrument generally starts the track? The kicker? The snare? hi hat? etc.....
EDM is music, not rocket science! You shouldn't have a closed mindset when making music like "I should start with this or that" or "I should load that preset that everybody uses" that's not how it works. You should find your own way of making music: some people start with the drums, other with the melody, doesn't matter, it's all different and that's why is music, a craft, not science or some type of engineering...
pepehands is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58410
Thanked 1,168 Times in 859 Posts

When I read EDM, I feared the worst. Listening to some of your tracks, Iím not sure Iíd classify them as such. You seem to use pretty classical instrumentation, such as acoustic drums and saxophone, which is unusual for what most folks would call EDM.
Tell us a bit more about the music you like and what artists influence you. Generally, active listening to your favorite tracks and a basic understanding of composition and arrangement for the style of music you make will help. In some genres almost anything goes.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6060

Electronic Dance Music is a pretty large category. Or are you just referring to the stuff on Spinnin Records?

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552280
Thanked 7,227 Times in 5,117 Posts

Just listen to the kind of music you like and go from there?

I mean actual dance music is typically drums, synths for a lot of the parts, sampled "real" instruments...can you ask something more specific? Maybe pick up the Dance Music Manual or something. If you are making music for DJs usually things start off with 16-32 bars of pretty sparse stuff so the DJ can "mix in". Same with the outro. Dance music arrangements are typically pretty simple stuff.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58410
Thanked 1,168 Times in 859 Posts

Totally forgot... load Blocks Wave and Launchpad on your phone, get some loops from Loopmasters, arrange as needed and make good use of killer DJ effects, such as tape stop, stutters, and a phaser. Donít forget your spray tan and frosted tips to look the part. Neon colored tie dye is an awesome look.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Vault O))) (21-12-2017)
Old 21-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20360

vengence or cymatics drum samples ultra mega dubstep wub wub pack for serum (so cymatics ultra mega wub wub pack)
ultra mega future bass pack for serum and thats it. Or as a qick fix buy vengence avenger.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552280
Thanked 7,227 Times in 5,117 Posts

I honestly don't know why you are asking us about song arrangement basics here. Listening to Enter the Limelight. I think you've got a good basic arrangement down and its a kinda cool lounge-y, dance-y, 80's wave all mixed up. I think there needs to be some transitions etc. And its a bit sparse, but not bad really. And the mix isn't awful. Lacks some punch, but that is all technical stuff that can be easily learned with practice.

House Fever has some potential as well. I'd like to see that bass line bounce and change a bit more for starters. Maybe modulate the filter cutoff a bit to get a bit more of an organic feel to the bass.

RIP My Peace of Mind really, really reminds me of 90's RnB in a lot of ways. Some cool stuff could be done here as well.

Last edited by relic; 21-12-2017 at 08:56 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47610

As others have said, you're doing it already. FL studio is more than enough of an 'instrument' to get you started, so keep learning and keep making music.

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (21-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11480304

The Wub-ulator

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7610

What instrument?

Well. Everything in dance music today is basically some variation of...
Even your VSTs are going to include, basically, all of these options.

Basically some kind of synthesizer (unless you want to try to revive early Kraftwerk style music andvplay jazz flute over dance beats...yeah, that didn't catch on when jazz flute was popular, so chances are pretty low there...).

Starting a song?
Pfff...it's all over the place. You'll see a lot of talk about starting with 8 bars of just the kick and exiting with the same. Sure, you can if you're making a cut for live DJing so it's easier to transition, otherwise it's just taste.

Think of EDM like the late 20th and early 21st century orchestral music - specifically, canons.
There's a wide range of approaches, experimentation, rules, rules being broken, and purposes for the music.

It comes down to three things:
What are you responding to? (what music do you hear that causes you to want to respond by making music; are you following along or trying to break a mold?)
What's your taste? (what do your ears want?)
What's the song for? (live set, online streaming in a mix, dancing in a club, being a dancy song - e.g 3 to 5 minutes long instead of 6 to 12 minutes, sitting and listening introspectively, D&D jazzersize, hotdog eating contest anthem, sims music...)

EDM is basically, you + a beat that wants a butt to move, but sometimes instead of moving butts it might be about tickeling the little grey cells.

So...

this
this
this
or this
Good luck!

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
relic (02-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
ANEKS
IDMf's latest spammer
ANEKS is currently spamming hard

I think it really depends on what feeling you are trying to create. When I want to something more relaxing I start out with a Grand Piano or soft plucks. If I want it to be more energetic I start out with hats and maybe the melody.

As for any instruments that really related to your style. If you don't like lazer sounds and like organic instruments better than I would recommend you use the organic. Just play around with your music and if it sounds good it doesn't really matter if it goes along with the rules of a Genre.
ANEKS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2660

I would say you should start making songs by mastering your drums and bass both sound design and rhythms. I say this because if you come from a non edm music background thats melody driven, then it might be a bit foreign for you to try to make something loopy and mesmerizing. I neglected some of the loopy qualities until more recently and ended up making some cool songs that more like video game music or from an anime or something, but if u want to make EDM, your probably gonna have to put more emphasis on the drums, bass and rhythm. In my musical background percussion is like sprinkles on an ice cream... but in EDM it IS the ice cream.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
NakedOperator (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
pkreegi
Radial Developer
pkreegi is a jewel in the roughpkreegi is a jewel in the roughpkreegi is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Hereís my 2 cents - either a piano for making melodies, or a completely unknown instrument/preset, to see what pops your head with the particular sound.

Also a good instrument for everything is a mindset - donít try to copy anyone, merely take notes of style. As soon as you are on the goal of becoming.. i dont know... deadmau5, its going to block your creativity channels. Then it turns out you dont know how to copy him anyway, which then turns into you not having creativity nor motivation )

Advertisements

pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote