Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 13-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

The title of this post is the same as the article here, that was posted on The Verge website a couple of days ago on the 11th...while only yesterday I read in the mainstream press FB is taking in monthly profits of $1 Billion.

Although there's no connection between FB's profits and what this guy is saying, it made me wonder how everyone clamored to have Microsoft broken up because it became too big..but nobody seems to be saying Boo about what a giant FB has become and the power it has.

The article also links to another article posted on The Guardian website on the 2nd of May late, entitled "I'm an ex-Facebook exec: don't believe what they tell you about ads" that doesn't really hold any surprises, but might open the eyes of some to just what FB can and does do with the data they collect on everyone who uses their service.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855
Re: Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

An interesting read and agree with the bulk of it. It’s not the first time I’ve said this but I yearn for the internet of the late 90’s and 00’s, especially when I read most comments sections and things like Twitter. It may be nostalgia but I can’t remember online being that venomously ugly and if it was, you had to really go looking for it.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
A.M (13-12-2017)
Old 13-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
An interesting read and agree with the bulk of it. Itís not the first time Iíve said this but I yearn for the internet of the late 90ís and 00ís, especially when I read most comments sections and things like Twitter. It may be nostalgia but I canít remember online being that venomously ugly and if it was, you had to really go looking for it.
Yeah..I remember when ugly shit like that was enough to get you banned from places for life, but not so anymore these day it seems. Back when you were talking about, all this kind of stuff was akin to the "dark net", with a handful of forums and boards you mostly heard about and only visited if you were a sick, twisted individual.

I'm all for freedom of speech..but it's the level of seemingly senseless nastiness that's now deemed acceptable, more what's being said exactly. It's like there's been a shift away from common sense to something else that I think everyone is going to regret if it continues unchecked. How anyone can "check" it or change it, though, is another thing entirely.

------------------
Old 13-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 174510
Thanked 3,490 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
It may be nostalgia but I can’t remember online being that venomously ugly and if it was, you had to really go looking for it.

That's just the millennials' craniums/brains settling into an adult form with everything it implies. They're still juvenile shitheads but now they have opinions, mainly the opinion that their opinion matters. They were emo teens just a few years ago, remember?

So there. You have a solid fraction now of the voting-age internet user mass that is essentially a bunch of dumbass post-teens.

It'll pass.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421875579
Thanked 4,952 Times in 2,863 Posts

That shit started after smartphones became common. Every idiot out there now has instant access to the internet.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562380
Thanked 7,429 Times in 5,251 Posts

I was going to type out a long response, but basically my response would be this article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...84973472694334

Its just growing pains. We could fuck up figuring out how to use this stuff, but maybe not. I think social media specifically is terrible for a few reasons, but generally speaking digital media is still a good thing, I think.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #7
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910

This about sums up my thinking on media data and audiences for me:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
I've seen the same arguments leveled at the general marketing industry some 40 years ago.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110150
Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,413 Posts

Early rock and recent rap and not enough Christ in Christmas already ruined society.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
That shit started after smartphones became common. Every idiot out there now has instant access to the internet.
I think access in general has played a colossal part. When you paid for the internet by the minute people restricted themselves to off peak phone charges and even then limited themselves to an hour or two - my patterns were catch up on email, check some forums, read up on new music, shopping/ebay, a bit of IRC and then done.

------------------
Thanks to FTD
A.M (14-12-2017)
Old 14-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
A.M

Quote:
I think access in general has played a colossal part. When you paid for the internet by the minute people restricted themselves to off peak phone charges and even then limited themselves to an hour or two - my patterns were catch up on email, check some forums, read up on new music, shopping/ebay, a bit of IRC and then done.
Yeah..more or less the same here. We had dial-up for ages and they used to charge an arm and a leg back then for a connection that ran so fecking slow. I think it's the speed, too..now you can do/see/grab whatever the hell you like in a matter of seconds.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
FTD (14-12-2017)
Old 14-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
FTD
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
So there. You have a solid fraction now of the voting-age internet user mass that is essentially a bunch of dumbass post-teens.
While I don't disagree with what you are saying there's been a bigger seismic shift too. Look at someone like Milo Yiannopoulos, not him personally or what he says but the concept of his being.

Years ago he would have been no more than an annoying member of various forums, getting banned by mods and moving on. In today's age he's regarded as prime time, newsworthy material.

Even the publications (such as The Guardian in the UK) who see these troll machines for what they are, still cover them because they the need traffic, fake or otherwise, such stories will create.

Sadly, it seems it's not just dumb ass teens but everyone is complicit, from the mainstream news and definitely the social platforms and their algorithms that serve this up to us.

On a more positive note, Britain First (a small, extremist hate group) does particular well with regards to reach on social media yet can only get 20-100 members to attend actual live demonstrations. Meaning despite the bots, shills, astro-turfing and folk spreading this crap for the lolz, there is still some hope that humanity retains some level of decency.

------------------
Thanks to FTD
A.M (14-12-2017)
Old 14-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041441
Thanked 7,480 Times in 4,628 Posts

Quote:

On a more positive note, Britain First (a small, extremist hate group) does particular well with regards to reach on social media yet can only get 20-100 members to attend actual live demonstrations. Meaning despite the bots, shills, astro-turfing and folk spreading this crap for the lolz, there is still some hope that humanity retains some level of decency.
It's less than that.

Quote:
In August 2016, the group moved an event originally planned for Coventry city centre into Warwickshire .

About 30 people attended the event at the unknown location, despite more than 500 stating on Facebook beforehand that they would be there.

A counter-demonstration was held in Coventry with around 100 people attending the event - dubbed Coventry United against Britain First - at the same time.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63410
Thanked 1,268 Times in 933 Posts

Troubling.

Just read an article on the demise of retail and how Amazon is slowly becoming the purveyor of everything you read, watch, listen, eat, and once they get into healthcare you will be completively transparent to them. They know what you read, eat, what pet you have, your political persuasion, what food you like, where you live, whom you know, what your lifestyle is, and can tailor the offers for doctors precisely based on your personal risk profile. We are now letting Amazon listen to our conversations and give them access to our keys. Yes, they can now let themselves in. Our freedom and privacy slowly wastes away in the comfort of our couch, having all of our wants catered to and lulled in by the pleasant distraction of whatever we fancy. We will become a commodity accessory in the corporate ecosystem. A Brave New World.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (15-12-2017)
Old 15-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #14
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska

Amazon is already in your healthcare.
Amazon is one of the go-to providers for databases in enterprise solutions; almost every part of economic industry employs them - and I would hazard an assumption that it is "every" instead of "almost every".

They are generally seen as the preferred database solution provider by every enterprise agency I have ever ran across in my career in the fast few years, and a relief of common-tongue when one agency finds that another equally use Amazon database services, as correlation is then far cheaper.

So whatever you think Amazon will eventually have of data relating to you, they very much most likely already do and have for some time.

*spooky fingers*
Boogidy-Boogidy!

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
Thanks to TheStumps
A.M (15-12-2017)
Old 15-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 174510
Thanked 3,490 Times in 2,079 Posts

"-Alexa, play the really intense part of Carmina Burana as I read the last two posts again."
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #16
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

I saw a good chunk of the interview, and it seems to me that it's mostly just Chamath Palihapitiya trying to inflate his own importance by being a pretentious douche-bag, - angling for his next job by talking about "getting the fucking money", like he's the only one who ever thought of that.

I didn't buy his "tremendous feeling of guilt" act for a second anyway. It's not exactly like he's giving away the enormous amount of "fucking money" he made on it, now is it? In fact, having him speak at the "Vanity Fair Show" probably cost more than you earn in a month: "Oh, I feel so bad about what I did, - now please pay me to talk some more about it".

I was reading Pat Barker's "Regeneration" a while back, about traumatized soldiers in a psych ward during world war I. Compared to that disastrous war, using of the term "ripping apart society" about the general stupidity of Facebook-users just seems like a bad joke.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 15-12-2017 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
TheStumps (15-12-2017)
Old 15-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38360

The whole argument is predicated on the idea that 'modern society' is worth saving, or at least not ripping apart. I'm not sure I buy into that. It's a sociopolitical version of the uncertainty principle - even the best and brightest are unable to discern anything other than the shortest term effects, because they're a part of and affected by the changes as well.

Whatever comes after this iteration is whatever it is. I'm ready to get there, bad, better, or different.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
Alaska

I don't subscribe to concepts revolved around the idea of social preservation.
It's a real concept, but it's only a concept which is derived from the impression that something unfamiliar is dangerous and bad, and something familiar is safer and good.
But society is an abstract concept; it's not a fixed point in time and place.
The person who thinks society is being eroded is a person who's identity of society is being grown over with the next layer of social clockwork - like being a constituency of the undergrowth of a forest upon which another layer enters within and upon.

Historically, the two times that humans tend to behave their worst is either in attempting to force society to progress into some state before the social cellular mass eventuates there, or when it attempts to refrain society from some change which occurs by consequence of society's inherent evolution, which is then perceived as deviating into a conceived degradation from a previous state held as the only sustainable option.

So basically; the two times humanity behaves badly in every case is when it tries to force some form of restriction upon the behavior and growth of itself outside of its own autonomous social generation.

Nazi Germany and all such like cases are of course easy drafts of examples, but equally important are cases like the half-century revolving around America's prohibition, or the later morality laws.

There is a form of validity to the concern over corporate monetary and social power within a society, but only if the view of society is one which holds the individual person as the ultimate purpose of the society and not the social collective itself.

In the West, most nations are individualist with varying degrees of social systems via government to attempt some manner of supporting or promoting the individualist value.
America is a bit of an odd duck, however, in this regard, as it contains residuals of this from the height of the bygone eras which championed this idea of government supported individualist provisions, but has long since moved on institutionally to reshaping the governmental philosophy to that of society for society itself, and the exploration of this philosophy in America has taken the shape of corporate society, which is natural as the two values America holds highest in philosophy are individualism and monetization.

The infrastructure which holds its origins in supporting the individual has moved well beyond being capable of that task and, still growing without demand pressing by inherent momentum, naturally evolved itself into its own demand of its own supply.

So we have a conveyor belt ("moving walkway") in corporate economic society, and the individual is capable of stepping on and off of that belt; the belt cares none at all if the individual slips and breaks their neck or zooms off and races to their destination successfully faster than without the conveyor belt.
It only operates by design; built for a purpose, but devoid of a mind for the purpose it provides itself.
As far as the conveyor belt is concerned, it's purpose is inherent in its parts functioning - not whether people use it or not.

To facilitate this movement at ever progressive intervals - as design is want to do inherently - more shortcuts, axioms, and assumptions have to be granted in each successive stage of design.
It is for that reason that the individual is first asked to watch their step, then asked to not walk and hold the rail, and eventually to take a seat and check their baggage as the conveyor belt is no longer a conveyor belt but a transit vessel of some form because the system is now more efficient than it would be if it relied on the individual to self-direct and control their will upon the conveyor belt which then must respond to the interest of the individual reactively.

It is more efficient to the purpose of the social economic system to understand the need of the individual before the individual makes motion to act on a decision for want.
This is very old human logic; the King is better served when the servant knows the King's wants before the King knows that the King will want - and so the food is ready before the King asks.
But then the King doesn't want food sometimes, and the food goes to waste.

At first, some may decide that it can be re-purposed, or sold at the least, and the worth of the food preserved rather than wasted.
Eventually someone will propose that there is a better way to divine the King's impulses by use of some tool - that may have been a person who is great at intuiting behavior, but if an object exists which can keep tally and make predictions in like fashion of charting the motion of the stars, then so too would that device be used to predict a King's wants.

That same behavior is present in data tracking, selling, sharing, and using.

The only issue philosophically at hand is that the individual, in this model, has to forfeit their conception that their self identity is equal to their self and that as such is their own personal identity and belonging to no other in any form.

"Hell is other people", Sartre once wrote.
Because once you are conceived in their mind, a part of your identity is beyond your control and no longer belongs to you. Their beholding of you becomes a form of death to your freedom with each individual witness of your person, in this view.

We are in a similar position today, but instead of people, it is the abstract concept of our identity through patterns of behavior and nomenclature which refers to access to forms of our identification as data.

To look upon this world is to give to it yourself.

The issue that the West, most notably America, but much of the other developed West as well, will continue to have is in releasing the death grip on individualist ideology and replacing the sense of self with a communal self identity as being of the society itself and one which coupled with the sum provides the survival of the society as a whole and as a thing unto itself which is not present to serve the individual.

In other words; your sense of unique self identity is a dying concept and is far easier to do with out - the sense of inherent value and due.
However, while the sense of unique self identity may be easier to do without, it is a great feat to let go of when already held.

In a few generations, however, identity will be expressed more communally than individually - "I am of ____ <group>" will be the default means of identification of the self (which we are already sprinting towards), and in that social normality, the concern over data of the self identity will be a past concern that is as strange to that era as it is to ours that land is equal to the identity of self and that without such an individual does not exist by any right or philosophy of recognition.

There...that's my discourse on the matter.

Cheers!
TheStumps

Last edited by TheStumps; 15-12-2017 at 09:58 PM..

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #19
A.M

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Life imitating Art..or Art imitating Life?

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #20
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54360
Thanked 1,087 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Early rock and recent rap and not enough Christ in Christmas already ruined society.
This.

The internet has been frying brains since the early 2000's (you know, since it got good) and now we all can't live without the content flood. FB just exploited what we were all waiting for - a way to be social without that pesky interaction thing.

I actually think forums without upvote bullshit are one of the few 'real' pockets of the internet left. Facebook has no sense of community (or even a false sense of one) so it just seems like dopamine hotwiring and literal bullshit being sprayed everywhere for votes.

The only missing vote feature is to vote people off of facebook for life. I'd sign up for that shit

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (16-12-2017)