How do I start an indie record label?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
glasscrow
Regular Freak
glasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 260
How do I start an indie record label?

I once read that it's better to self-release your music under a label name because it looks more professional, or something? I'm only going to throw my tunes up on Bandcamp and maybe Spotify, but I'd still like to publish it all under a record label. I'm trying to find resources on how to start one, but I'm finding a lot of info on how to start a label and pick up other artists, and not much about starting a label for the sole purpose of releasing your own music. There are only mentions that it happens and not much how-to.

So, does anyone know of the practical steps I need to take in order to do this? Do I register it as a business if it's just for me? Do I just write under my band name "glasscrow records" and bam, that's it?

Advertisements

glasscrow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562380
Thanked 7,429 Times in 5,251 Posts
Re: How do I start an indie record label?

I don't see why the process would be any different. Registering it as a business (LLCs get suggested quite often for small labels) would only serve to protect your own music. FWIW, I usually decide whether or not to buy music after I listen to it. All the rest mostly doesn't matter to me.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrow View Post
I once read that it's better to self-release your music under a label name because it looks more professional, or something? I'm only going to throw my tunes up on Bandcamp and maybe Spotify, but I'd still like to publish it all under a record label. I'm trying to find resources on how to start one, but I'm finding a lot of info on how to start a label and pick up other artists, and not much about starting a label for the sole purpose of releasing your own music. There are only mentions that it happens and not much how-to.

So, does anyone know of the practical steps I need to take in order to do this? Do I register it as a business if it's just for me? Do I just write under my band name "glasscrow records" and bam, that's it?

Many indie labels start out small and fumble their way onto bigger and better times, but for most that's not the case. Despite what some might say, there's a little bit more to it than slapping up a website and having a good sounding album to sell / give away. There's a number of skills you need to be good at, if you want to make the label side of things a successful business in it's own right. Even if you only ever intend to release you own work..as your post implies..then you still need the same skills if you want to make it work.

I know you said you've read a lot of stuff already, but I'll add these links to your list and suggest you take a look at them, as they tend to deal more with a person in your situation..who is interested in publishing / marketing their own work on their own label. These are by no means definitive, but they can serve as a good jumping off point, from which you can then go and research further.

Self-Releasing an Album: https://www.thebalance.com/should-i-...-album-2460707

How to Start a Record Label: https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-st...-label-2460782

Going Independent: https://www.thoughtco.com/going-inde...-label-1817689

Start Your Own Record Label: https://www.soundonsound.com/music-b...n-record-label

How to Register a Record Label: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/regis...bel-14204.html

Perhaps the main things you need to really keep in mind are two of the main stumbling blocks for many starting their own label ( in fact, any business)..commitment and cash..you need to be able to invest both if you are really serious about doing this..unless you're already blessed with great contacts and know people in the music industry willing to help you out when you need it. If not, then you'll have to do everything yourself and that takes time..and what you can't do yourself, you'll have to pay others to do for you..and that takes cash. How much of each is basically up to you..but you really need to know what you're doing and have a solid plan about how to go about doing it.

Hope you find some of this helpful..and let us know how you get on. Even if you end up changing you mind, then come back and share why you did..others on here can learn from your experiences.

Best of luck.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947581
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,635 Posts

you're in for a shit ton of work and a loss financially for a few years at least but hey DO IT
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47810

Just remember, the record label Planet Piss is taken, bro.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stich
Vault O))) (19-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54310
Thanked 1,086 Times in 713 Posts

Most of my favorite labels have met the inevitable doom that everyone's talking about here - lots of hard work, good music and an amazing group of likeminded artists often times can't really keep their project afloat and it just dies, regardless of how high-quality the whole thing was.

Shit sucks, basically. It's like when you find a huge band's side project being totally neglected on Spotify (like under 100 listeners) just because they never had a hit in the 90's or earlier. Meanwhile, their one-hit-wonder counterpart is enjoying millions of listeners everyday... all wasted on one shitty song that people can't get out of their head.

The moral of this story is... I don't know. Life sucks.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post

The moral of this story is... SHEEP

FTFY

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
glasscrow
Regular Freak
glasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, IL

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it! I'll check out those links right now, but some of them are highlighted like I've already viewed them, heh.

I'll probably come back again with more questions later...
Old 18-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
glasscrow
Regular Freak
Chicago, IL

So I wrote a detailed reply and it got lost because cookie issues...so I'll try my best to remember. It's not as fresh after emptying it from my head.

I did some more digging and want to learn more about digital distribution. I don't care about playing shows, producing physical copies of my albums, etc. Literally all I want to do is promote my music on Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc. because I want as many people to listen to it as possible. I want to look professional because I think this will help my goal, so I wanted to release digital copies of my work under a label name. What's stopping me from going to an aggregator like cdbaby and entering the name "glasscrow records" into the "label" field when I sign up? (Hypothetical question, since I haven't signed up and don't know how the form looks.)

It also looks like signing up for an aggregator will cost more than I realized. I'm willing to put in as much money and time as I possibly can, but is it better to eat the cost as a personal expense, or to create a business (the record label) and separate those expenses from my personal finances?

I'm just a complete noob and don't understand the logistics yet. I went poking around Spotify's FAQ and they even suggest different aggregators depending on whether you're an artist or a label. I don't understand what the difference is... (I have to remove the link to post this--it's in the Spotify for Artists FAQ.)

I did visit some of those websites and I see differences in what services are offered, but don't understand what's stopping labels from using the companies suggested for artists, or vice versa.
Old 19-12-2017, 03:41 AM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110100
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,412 Posts

Before you invest in CDBaby, look around. There are quite a few services now that are cheaper.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
lolirl (19-12-2017)
Old 19-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
glasscrow
Regular Freak
Chicago, IL

Yeah, that was mainly just an example. I was actually looking at Distrokid...I think that was the name. I dunno, I was going to compare the two to see which one I liked better.

The more I look into this, the more I realize I know nothing about how even the indie music industry works...so the main thing currently confusing me is, why would somebody flippantly suggest to amateur artists that "you should consider creating your own label to self-release your albums, you'll look more professional!" ??? I wish I knew where I'd read that so I could revisit the context it was spoken in. My gut suddenly suspects Sonicbids, but I really don't remember.
Old 19-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

CDBaby--to me--is a pretty dated service, especially if you don't care about physical media. Distrokid all the way. CD Baby is what all the old hippie bikers in bands that come to my leather store always put their music on...

Unless CD Baby is doing things it didn't used to...

------------------
Thanks to relic
lolirl (19-12-2017)
Old 19-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrow View Post
I don't care about playing shows
Iím not saying there arenít people that do alright as an internet presence only, but actually going out and interacting with real people through your music really does remain the most effective way of creating a real fan base and not just a career based on the countable data of likes, listens, downloads etc.

------------------
Old 19-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947581
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,635 Posts

Really, if you want to learn how to run a label, ask a label owner. Email these guys about this stuff. You'll get a much less speculative answer than what we're able to give you.

I do know a guy that runs a label, he's smart and while he still runs it at a loss financially, he loves doing it and the music he's bringing out. He does the physical release thing with vinyl and cd and shirts. It's not an easy job. Netlabel might be easier, I would guess.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #15
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

If your music is reasobly listenable its probably a thousand times easier to get it signed to an existing label. Especially if the main purpose is to just promoter your own music and no one else's.

------------------
Old 20-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #16
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23110

I'd recommend meeting up with local studios and into becoming a pr guy because those seem like essentials in becoming a label

------------------
NewWorldOrder is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
relic (20-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #17
glasscrow
Regular Freak
Chicago, IL

This is really helping me sort my thoughts out, so thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I’m not saying there aren’t people that do alright as an internet presence only, but actually going out and interacting with real people through your music really does remain the most effective way of creating a real fan base and not just a career based on the countable data of likes, listens, downloads etc.
Haha, WELL, playing shows would be pretty sweet, so I guess a more apt way to phrase that is "I'm physically incapable of playing shows, so it's not even on my radar." I have a four year old. All of my prime time goes into either watching her at home, or supporting her (working). It is something I plan on doing in the future, just not now. I generally agree with your sentiment.

Advertisements