Grid instruments
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470708
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,948 Posts
Grid instruments

As I suck big time with keyboards, I'm looking at instruments with a grid layout.

Anyone has any experiences using a Novation LaunchPad Pro or Circuit to play other synths?

Or what other alternatives exist?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47810
Re: Grid instruments

Haven't tried my Pro on my drunkit's brain yet but this is a good reminder for me to see how it operates in the drum mode, if that means anything to you. Will report experiences if so

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Lichtgestalth
Regular Freak
Lichtgestalth will become famous soon enoughLichtgestalth will become famous soon enough
Shanghai
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
As I suck big time with keyboards, I'm looking at instruments with a grid layout.

Anyone has any experiences using a Novation LaunchPad Pro or Circuit to play other synths?

Or what other alternatives exist?
I'm using Push 2 and ever since I got it my Midi keyboard is collecting dust in a corner. The ability to set the pad to scales makes creating melodies super easy for people with no keyboards skills and little music theory background.

On top of being real high quality pads it is extremely well integrated with Live which speeds everything up big time.
Lichtgestalth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237579

I really want to try a Linnstrument. Seems really versatile and fun to play. Not forking cash over without trying though, and not exactly cheap so will have to wait either way. Ableton still not supporting MPE is a pain, too.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtgestalth View Post
I'm using Push 2 and ever since I got it my Midi keyboard is collecting dust in a corner. The ability to set the pad to scales makes creating melodies super easy for people with no keyboards skills and little music theory background.

On top of being real high quality pads it is extremely well integrated with Live which speeds everything up big time.
I've been looking at Push 2 as well but I'd like a standalone thing. If I could use note mode standalone as well as using push with Live, I'd go for it.

------------------
Old 30-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 30860

Seems like lp pro would work just fine for what you are talking about.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

That or the Linnstrument, which is out of my budget.
I played around with the Grid Instrument app on the Ipad and had lots of fun, but tapping a cold glass surface is horrible. Great interface for other uses, but would never "play" on it...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (30-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540077
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,303 Posts

I tried that a bit with my Arduinome (monome home build) and also with Launchpad in Scales and Modes mode. I think I've spent too many years w black and whites to really get into grid based controllers.

The monome stuff was cool, as i could sort of loop and jam parts, but once i got past the initial sort of inspiration w the realtime looping and grid i went at finishing the tunes i used them on w a keyboard as a controller.

I think that sort of interface can be really inspiring, but for me it felt a bit like learning to ride some sort of different awkward type of bike. like... i have a bike already, why would i re-invent the wheel???

all of that said, i've seen and heard people that have learned their way around a grid really well and can play quite proficiently, i think its all a matter of putting in the time.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
sefrcoko (04-12-2017)