Creating chords (NEWBIE)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
isaacelpiloto
Minor Glitch
isaacelpiloto is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Creating chords (NEWBIE)

Hi everyone
Right this question probably seems really stupid... But I've been trying to solve this problem for weeks. Yo know when you create a song (at least the house song I'm trying to create) you have the melody and the chords. How can I come up with some cool chords for my song? Can I visit any webs on the internet?
Thanx
Isaac

Advertisements

isaacelpiloto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80995880
Thanked 4,113 Times in 2,670 Posts
Re: Creating chords (NEWBIE)

chords are multiple notes played at the same time.
play some notes together and find something that sounds good
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Blendrix
Granular Poster
Blendrix is a glorious beacon of lightBlendrix is a glorious beacon of lightBlendrix is a glorious beacon of lightBlendrix is a glorious beacon of lightBlendrix is a glorious beacon of light
Fort Collins, Colorado
MC Status: 460

Check out Harmony Improvisator and Xfer Cthulhu. Both excellent plugins to help jump-start the creative process.
Blendrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Play two notes at the time.

start with the 1 and 5th (for example C+G). try this up and down the keyboard see how it sounds.

now experiment with replacing 5th with the 4th (C+F) or 6th (C+A) instead. It has a different sound.

Try and get combinations of them together that you like. you should have no problem finding a combo of two that work. 4 after some trial and error. experiment.

There shouldn't be much movement up and down the keyboard. Remember that most chords sounds best when they do not differ much from each other (thats one of the reasons why people invert the chords) when you swap the notes like above you could say that you actually play a new chord inverted. So this is really easy to play.

then you analyze what you have.

If the one and 5th sounded good the chord is the root you actually play.
if the 1 and 4th sound nice it probably the 4th thats the root. (and the 1 is the actually the 5th)
and if the 1 and 6th sound good the chord is probably the 6th thats the root. (and the 1 is actually the 3rd)

now all you need to figure out what the 3rd note should be in each chord. major or minor or whatever. and there really are no rules here but its best if you fit that note so its the same across all the other chords.

for example you play these combos and find it sounds good.
C+A (the 1 + 6th)
D+A (1+5)
C+G (1+5)
D+A (1+5)

And after analyzing it like above you get that its
Amin
Dmin
Cmaj
Dmin

I wanna point out that I barely know any theory but this works good for me. And melodies I just improvise on top like I think it sounds good.

I think this method is awesome. Cause I can't play piano well and you easily hear the intervals and relations between the important notes and the vibe they give off. Also you free yourself of the thinking of what "should" come next and can focus purely on what you like

granted there are sus chords and stuff. but if above analyze fails try something else and hope your music theory know how is better then mine cause I can't help you beyond that point.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 07-03-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421875429
Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,861 Posts

Man, I remember the days before the Internet. If you wanted to learn how to play chords you sat down at a piano and just played some chords.

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote