Tips on not making my music suck - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 29-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Electric Mantis
Minor Glitch
Electric Mantis is currently spamming hard
Alaska
MC Status: 10
Re: Tips on not making my music suck

I definitely think your production skills could use a little work, but I love your style of music. It's really weird and funky. If it was mixed with skillful production all of these tunes could sound really good. like, REALLY good. I think you definitely need to work on the drums more in the future (mostly make them louder and more punchy) and make some of the synths sound a little more full (equalize that shit!). All in all though I think you have some serious potential as an artist!

Advertisements

Electric Mantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Mantis View Post
I definitely think your production skills could use a little work, but I love your style of music. It's really weird and funky. If it was mixed with skillful production all of these tunes could sound really good. like, REALLY good. I think you definitely need to work on the drums more in the future (mostly make them louder and more punchy) and make some of the synths sound a little more full (equalize that shit!). All in all though I think you have some serious potential as an artist!
I think it's worth adding to this that picking/creating sounds that fit together in the frequency spectrum and getting your gain staging right will result in a much punchier mix than something that is over EQ'd or compressed.

I not saying that you are saying to over do these things, Electric Mantis, just sayin' it's worth sayin'

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
paracetamol
Soundscaper
paracetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MC
MC Status: 288402

didn't listen to OP's song since i am at work.

however on a sidenote, listening to Isam from Amon Tobin, i always feel that i don't really like those "songs" per se, but i do appreciate the quality of production/production value of the culmination of sound design. just saying that there might be different audiences, listening to songs in a different way.

doing what you do is always beneficial, as long as it's fun. you'll probably learn something in the process.
paracetamol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
Slump
Analog Lurker
Slump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to behold
Sacramento, California
MC Status: 663

Sound design needs a ton of work. Here's a relevant video that was posted somewhere else on these forums:

/watch?v=XVQ8c19unnM (Need 30 posts to link vid)

Anyways, somebody explain to me this 'beat tapes' idea. Google didn't really bring up anything related.
Slump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
Djreject
Analog Lurker
Djreject has a spectacular aura aboutDjreject has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 168

try to limit yourself, make shorter songs, and try to focus on some particular aspect of music you want to explore,

Don't try to write your masterpiece in one evening,

your music is better than what i produced when I was 18 lol

------------------
Djreject is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

Thanks guys, working more on what i do and actually looking forward to creating more...collabing with relic right now, and I'm learning that if i limit myself or bounce down things and edit them that way...i explore more of the sound while having a solid foundation in terms of construction and where i need to place things.

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
:mayonesa::mayonesa:
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
SoloSaga will become famous soon enough
Ohio
MC Status: 60

I don't know if it's just me, or because I'm a beginner, but some of the notes just don't mix well together. You said that you worked on Music theory quite a bit, so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. But yeah that's what I think.

Last edited by SoloSaga; 02-11-2012 at 11:31 PM..
SoloSaga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #28
carlgrace
carlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 14069

I liked it... I didn't think it sucked at all.

Some of the phrasing and progressions feel a bit random, but I suspect that was intended. There is an aphorism in art "Form is liberating". That means if you set constraints for yourself you really unleash your creativity working within them. That is why pop music is so challenging (and popular) because it is chock-full of constraints.

In my experience, limiting myself in some way (only using one VST, or writing in a particular style) has been great to invigorate my creativity when I had writers block. Try it! Like, tell yourself I'm going to write a trance tune using only Massive, or a pop song with ABAB form. And do it! You'll learn a lot an your music will probably be better for it.

------------------
Retro 80s synthpop. Time Marches On.

http://pacificdeep.bandcamp.com
carlgrace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to carlgrace
relic (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
Lowbass
Minor Glitch
Lowbass is currently spamming hard
Granada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paggos View Post
Okay, well i've been uninspired for the longest damn time because people would put me down, and i actually valued their opinions, still do...but i value people on this forum more because they'll actually motivate me to get going and to stop whining like a girl.

Does my music actually suck? I am starting to branch out and trying to make music that could potentially have vocals with some work, but I'm just not entirely sure yet.

So,is a prime example of something that's pretty cool...but deep down i feel like it sucks....I'm sorry it doesn't have that complex / annoying bass drive...but i do what i do, lol.

Musically speaking, what should i do ya think? I analyze others songs, but i really don't want to squash the hell out of my music...this will be my first album in the 4 years I've been making music, and I'm nervous as hell to show people because usually all i get is "your music doesn't fit, it's too weird, dissonant, it sucks...it's horrible pop techno music..."

I don't think so, and i know this is my passion...i have to make it work due to personal reasons, It is literally the only thing that makes me happy, but also really frustrated at the same time, oh, and I'm down to work with ANYBODY...i don't care how long you've been making music....i just need to work with others, get things done...and create until i can't create anymore! Ah how i love the digital age

Thanks guys!
Try to enjoy making your own music. Nothing else matters.
Lowbass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

Learning some basic music theory and chord progressions to build melodies ontop of are going to help you alot, unless you like your melodies and harmonies sounding like you randomly clicked a bunch of notes in the piano roll.

This site helped me alot: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #31
Solipsis
Regular Freak
Solipsis is currently spamming hard

There's potential, but I thought the sound, esp the melody became annoying at some point. Atonality can be quite nice and special but it is hit and miss. Look at Plaid for example. IMO you've got to know what you are doing with technique like that - the song in your first soundcloud link turned more and more frantic and seemingly random in my personal opinion.

Also filling out the frequency range can use some refinement, is it me or are you using few midtones? Maybe use a spectral analyzer to check. It just doesn't sound balanced, especially when building up.

Though I play the piano for 22 years I am a relative novice as a producer (and lurker here) so forgive me if I don't make total sense or if my terminology is below par.

Keep it up and lots of practice. I encourage personal styles... and atonality / dissonance can play a part in that, but I'm afraid it is extra tricky and requires a higher level of mastery than keeping things simple and harmonic.

Also I concur with remarks about the percs / drums made by others in this thread.
Solipsis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #32
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29710

I think you're doing pretty well buddy. You're only 18? PSH you'll be fine, especially with your attitude. I'm the same way, it's kind of impossible for me to not be self critical. Remember, some people aren't self critical, and they are the ones who usually end up being satisfied with doing the same things over and over again, aka becoming stale.

I like your sound. It's unique. Just keep learning and experimenting, practicing and asking for other's opinions. As far as specific things you asked for advice on, well here's my advice and it might sound a little strange. For developing melodic and harmonic ideas: listen to lots of great jazz. I know you're probably thinking "ok, next comment" but seriously, if you really internalize what the jazz greats are doing (coltrane, miles, bill evans, thelonius monk) your brain will never have a hard time coming up with a melody again. There's is enough content in one john coltrane solo for literally 100 (or more) typical electronic songs. Also, IMO there's no point in theorizing a good melody, it has to come from within. Theory can help you get there once you educate your ear.

As far as production goes, do what some one else said earlier in the thread. Set little goals, and make them happen. Learn to do one little thing well, and then another.

keep it up, you'll get tthere
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

make your ears work , produce , learn to play an instruments , by doint it you'll learn more than 20 years on any forums or by reading any books , music didnt come from nowhere , bach wasnt using MIDI at his time .. instead of complaining on forums

Advertisements

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote