Do you analyze other people's songs? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 25-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Do you analyze other people's songs?

Constantly.

And I believe its a great way of learning.

Still can't get my head around some things though. Like how the F* old reggae songs got the bass so awesome.

Im happy with my bass now. It works. It didn't before. But its not awesome. And I want awesome.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
LastMars
Minor Glitch
LastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond reputeLastMars has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3732

It's impossible for me to listen to music and not break it down. Maybe the very first time I can just enjoy it, but on repeated listens I'm always analyzing.

Things I analyze:

Chord Progression - Music school has given me the ability to hear what relation each chord has to each other, aka Relative pitch. Though, I do not have perfect pitch, I can hear what a progression is: i VI ii V and such.

Maintaining Interest - Most music I like has very little actual musical material. It's repetitive but doesn't seem like it is. It's amazing how much just changing one thing can hold a listeners attention. It's not about "coming up" with something amazing, it's about making someone want to keep listening to your music.

Production - I've taken a few production classes, but am still a beginner. I've just begun to listen for different production techniques such as panning, creating spectral space for each instrument, compression as well as production being used for aesthetic purposes rather than utility.

A Unique Quality - That's what makes good music. There's a shit ton of great stuff out there that I don't like. It just means it doesn't communicate with me on a personal level. But, I can still tell if the expression is truly original or just trying to prescribe to a "successful" formula.

------------------
LastMars is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
th3 w01f
Learning The Ropes
th3 w01f is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you have even just a basic knowledge of music or music theory it's kind of hard not to. Not that I'm an expert on either.

I tend to passively analyze the stuff I listen to, which I guess is basically just the difference between hearing and actually listening. Songs are often more satisfying that way, because the qualities of the music stand out and you get to actively appreciate them. In my experience, it also allows you to connect more with the ideas and emotions being evoked in the song.
th3 w01f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #24
mossamp
Minor Glitch
mossamp will become famous soon enoughmossamp will become famous soon enough
Seattle
MC Status: 110

You have to breakdown your influences to grow your own style. That is what I believe. All day I will be thinking of how and what chord or whatever it took to make the music I am listening to. So much to learn.
mossamp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Yes, I am always analyzing music. I find I learn a huge amount about composition by thinking critically about what I am listening to. I generally go back and forth between listening to the orchestration(how things are voiced and what instrumentation/timbral combinations,etc), harmony, rhythmic motifs, and form.
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
Djreject
Analog Lurker
Djreject has a spectacular aura aboutDjreject has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 168

not only other peoples songs, also their habits, their intentions, what they do and why they do it ?!?

It becomes automatic after a while so i guess i analyse other people songs yeah...

Advertisements

------------------
Djreject is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote