Help: Layering compositions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
MrMinoxo
Analog Lurker
MrMinoxo has a spectacular aura aboutMrMinoxo has a spectacular aura aboutMrMinoxo has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Help: Layering compositions

Hey, I have been making house music for a while now and I have gotten down layering and composing good melodys for a song. But alot of times when listening to the breakdown of my song I will find that the current meloddy needs something to go over it. It needs a new melody to complement it, and bring out the accents and highpoints within the main melody. I don't know if anyone knows what I am trying to say but some help sure would be appreciated

Advertisements

MrMinoxo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
nametag
Radial Developer
nametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210
Re: Help: Layering compositions

It sounds like you might be talking about counterpoint. There is plenty of information about it online so I won't try to summarize, but it is generally a good skill to have.
nametag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
spisnok
Analog Lurker
spisnok will become famous soon enoughspisnok will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I have the same problem dude. Sometimes a arpeggio works well over the chords.
spisnok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Make a element/synth patch/layer that you think might fit. Should have some different characteristics from the original sound, can be totally different or just a little different.

then just add whatever note of the 12 to choose from that sound good on top of the other melody.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Galaxy God
Regular Freak
Galaxy God will become famous soon enoughGalaxy God will become famous soon enough
Earth
MC Status: 110

What I try sometimes is putting a generic/ambient sounding midi over top the chords or melody and then after making a few different versions of the midi, I'll start cycling between Midi Patches while the loops are playing consecutively through. It usually gets my creativity going if I'm in a rut. Arpeggios are good to but a bit over used in my opinion. Maybe finding some cool ambient effects with some creative automation to just fill space. It sounds to me like you're just wanting to fill some space and make it less bland and dry. If that's the case just try random stuff, whatever comes to your head. Often if you just keep trying things out you will eventually catch a break. Keep in mind to spread the love to different octaves and frequency ranges. Make a habit of studying breakdowns of your favorite producers.
Galaxy God is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

duplicate your chords up an octave, remove some notes or move them in scale, change the instrument, EQ out and use harmonics only
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

Well what i do is have about 2 melodys one for the lead and one to compliment them. Then after that the complimented melody i sidechain it to make a pumping effect then under that i have a pad of some sort which is either sidechained slightly or just left alone. Either way i think i get a good result from this!

Advertisements

Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote