What style of piano is Deadmau5 most prominent in?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 21-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
aftermath
Learning The Ropes
aftermath has a spectacular aura aboutaftermath has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
What style of piano is Deadmau5 most prominent in?

So, I am looking at getting some piano lessons this year to start coming up with better chord progressions to include in a new sound i'm aiming for. I have always had a high admiration for the way Deadmau5 plays his piano and have no idea what to tell a tutor to teach me. So, question is, what style of piano (if any) would his music be classed under?

Examples below (can't post links):

I Forget

I Remember

Faxing Berlin (Acoustic Version)

Wish You Were There

Advertisements

aftermath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aftermath
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 21-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45965848
Thanked 1,200 Times in 923 Posts
Re: What style of piano is Deadmau5 most prominent in?

learn jazz and classical and you'll be able to play anything

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 21-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
aftermath
Learning The Ropes
aftermath has a spectacular aura aboutaftermath has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Sounds like a plan. Any idea on how long is necessary to begin coming up with solid chord progressions?
aftermath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aftermath
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 21-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378317

Just use a VST to do it for you.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Focalized
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 23-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Syncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant future
Hawai'i
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
Just use a VST to do it for you.
Won't be truly handy unless you have some basic understanding of scales/modes.

To answer your question; it's uncertain how long it will take you in learning the piano until you come up with a good progression. You may come up with a great progression after the first day of learning! That doesn't mean you should stop taking lessons though, if you did happen to find a great progression on your first day it was probably due to some serendipity (on accident). Keep taking lessons so you can rely less on serendipity and more on theory.

Although serendipity does produce the best results, you must rely on the combination of that and your own knowledge

------------------
Syncopate Life is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Syncopate Life
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 23-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
johanneslehmann
Granular Poster
johanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nice
Melbourne
MC Status: 410

There are two parts I think you're looking for here: Musical theory and the physical part of playing piano. If you are dedicated and practice a lot you can probably get decent at the physical part within a few months...

I would really recommend doing your own research on theory in parallel, because if you only have an hour with a teacher each week and you spend a lot of time showing him what you've prepared and looking at new pieces, it will take you forever to get a good foundation. (and even then you are dependent on the teacher being able to teach you what you know).

So it seems to me that after you have learned to read music and play basic chords, getting a book on harmony and discussing any problems with your teacher might help you reach your goals faster...
johanneslehmann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to johanneslehmann
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 25-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Slump
Analog Lurker
Slump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to behold
Sacramento, California
MC Status: 663

It's called functional harmony.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Slump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Slump
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 25-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80995880
Thanked 4,113 Times in 2,670 Posts

It'll take a life time to get solid chord progressions
the way you approach music is going to evolve and you're always be learning
don't start impatient
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
lebeux (28-01-2013)
Old 28-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
JarrodL
Granular Poster
JarrodL will become famous soon enough
Boston, MA
MC Status: 60

I think you can get by on theory alone if your just looking to achieve better chord progressions and melody as an edm producer. However learning to physically play will probably help you to naturally understand the theory as you go though. If anything study theory hard in your free time, this will go a long way

Advertisements

JarrodL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JarrodL
lebeux (28-01-2013)