Volume Keeps Phasing Very Slowly
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 15-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210
Volume Keeps Phasing Very Slowly

so im working on a new project, yet i notice that two of the leads im using are phasing in volume very slowly throughout the song. i dont know if this is being caused by logic or massive. it could be because im using 8 voices in massive for the lead synths.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Ade Beats
Granular Poster
Ade Beats will become famous soon enoughAde Beats will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Re: Volume Keeps Phasing Very Slowly

Your description of the problem is vague so I'll have to guess it's one of two things. The first, and maybe most likely, is that maybe your instruments might have 'LFO modulation' or something set to the volume. You might have to find it and turn it off. Another possibility is your mix: do your leads get quieter when you introduce a certain other instrument? In that case then maybe your leads and that instrument are battling it out on the frequency spots, you might have to make equalising moderations to those (which you might need to do even if that's not the case). But like I said, I'm guessing here.
Ade Beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Beats View Post
Your description of the problem is vague so I'll have to guess it's one of two things. The first, and maybe most likely, is that maybe your instruments might have 'LFO modulation' or something set to the volume. You might have to find it and turn it off. Another possibility is your mix: do your leads get quieter when you introduce a certain other instrument? In that case then maybe your leads and that instrument are battling it out on the frequency spots, you might have to make equalising moderations to those (which you might need to do even if that's not the case). But like I said, I'm guessing here.
im sure that there is no lfo modulation, and it isnt that there is anything battling in the frequency range. when i play the track, sometimes it will be present at the volume i want, yet when i play it again for a second time, it appears that its much quieter.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 18-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
PeteWong
Minor Glitch
PeteWong will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I can't see or hear your project, so ultimately and I'm pretty sure it's phasing due to frequency range on both leads. Try using a spectrum analysis to indicate if that is what's causing the phasing. Solution for this can be side chaining either or changing octaves on either.

Other than that, you might have to change the timbre on one.
PeteWong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378317

I get some odd slow modulations with Massive sometimes. I think it has something to do with the voicing.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Cosine
Granular Poster
Cosine has a spectacular aura aboutCosine has a spectacular aura about
Semi-Detatched.
MC Status: 160

Try the Oscillator Phases box in the Osc tab. Check "Restart via Gate" and set phases for each Oscillator.
This may fix the problem, if it's what I'm thinking of. But your explanation seems a little unclear to me.

Or do you mean that the Amplitude of the synth rises and falls over time?
If so, is it a rapid change?
Cosine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
I get some odd slow modulations with Massive sometimes. I think it has something to do with the voicing.
yeah thats what i think too, i heard somewhere that the voicing in massive causes slow phasing. ive never really had much of a problem with fm8 however, its just massive it seems.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 19-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosine View Post
Or do you mean that the Amplitude of the synth rises and falls over time?
If so, is it a rapid change?
its the amplitude of the synth, and it phases very slowly. if i loop a section of the song, the synth will start out present, then maybe after looping 4 bars 6 times or so it will fade to the back of the mix. i checked massive and nothing is being modulated. altho its not a big deal right now, i got a bounce where the synth stayed where i wanted it too for the most part.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 20-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Bounce down all your free running oscillator sounds as wavs,it's the constantly altering phase of the oscillators

TIMT

Advertisements

TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote