About waves and bandwagons
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 28-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2010
About waves and bandwagons

Hey.
One day I ran into these two terms in the interwebs related to the boom of bigroom house and Martin Garrix. I personally don't like bigroom, but many artists I followed seemed to jump on the bandwagon right after the wave.

What I'd like to know if it is worth it to try to catch the wave and if there have been any other waves after the bigroom house one.
And if you know one that is coming - You don't have to expose your secret
-Rapitops

Advertisements

------------------
DjRapitops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996080
Thanked 4,117 Times in 2,672 Posts
Re: About waves and bandwagons

trap / footwork is a strong one too

is it worth it, well if it inspires you to create music, it's all good. There isn't much more to it. There's music that gets you inspired and music that leaves you unchanged and music that actually makes you lose all hope in the art

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
Evelon (28-06-2015)
Old 28-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Not unless you actually like the genre. Most bands and artists that I like tend to do their own thing and live their own passion.

Also, there have been many music trends throughout history, and you can bet there will be lots more.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
trap / footwork is a strong one too

is it worth it, well if it inspires you to create music, it's all good. There isn't much more to it. There's music that gets you inspired and music that leaves you unchanged and music that actually makes you lose all hope in the art
also that scene coming out of S. Africa that takes its que from footwork...Warp just released an LP of that stuff...titled Lodge...forget the artist name...really interesting...almost sounds like it was made with general MiDi only

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Lug (29-06-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

bandwagons is not something new i think. any artist that starts something "different" will have a lot of ppl following his steps, even copying their sound. like in metal. theres always one or two bands named the "Pioneers" of some sub-genres, like death metal, black metal, etc.

In electronic music those new waves are something slightly different from what it originated from. get some style of music, put cowbells in it, call it a new genre. thats basically what happens now and when you go and check what's this new thing about, theres nothing really. some people hate it, some people don't understand it, some love it. but is how electronic music is now, is surviving by jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon.

i blame it on big festivals that want a new hit and new sounds every month so they can make millions out of some "next big thing" kind of artists. edm producers care more about exposure and making money and less about their sound. After garrix had his Boom with big room house, he went to another thing called "Deep house", imo deep house has NOTHING different from any other "house" sub-genre, and there's already FUTURE HOUSE (nothing futuristic in the sound), Some other things called TROPICAL HOUSE too, that also has NOTHING different. i think new terms/names/genres/sub-genres are some strategy to get listeners and have some producers following it, then someone is credited as a "pioneer" or something. and thats why sometimes you guys will see threads asking "How to make the skrillex bass" or "how to make <insert mainstream song name here> lead" etc.

Advertisements

ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote