Is S&M by Rihanna EDM? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Closed Thread
Old 25-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #61
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278290
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,950 Posts
Re: Is S&M by Rihanna EDM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

Rihanna.

This is a music forum.

On car forums, they talk about cars. On toy car forums, they talk about toy cars.

Opening poster, fuck off.
Alright, settle down.

Advertisements

deadmau7 is offline   Thanks
Old 25-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #62
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

I know this thread has devolved in to shenanigans but I'm gonna post a serious opinion anyways cause I like this topic.

1. Genre names are only useful when talking about music, cause it's easier to say, "country music" than it is to say, "music primarily driven by acoustic guitars, lyrics commonly involving love and adventure, and singers with an accent commonly found in the southern united states." So asking whether something is EDM or Pop or a hybrid of the two is kind of a hollow question which is why some people are being snarky in their response; cause why does it matter as long as the people you're talking to understand what you're saying?

2. Music is constantly evolving, and I think it's reasonable to say that pop music trails a few years behind the current level of musical advancement. People don't like new things, so new things are invented and musicians begin exploring them, and after a few years people start to get used to the sound so it starts sounding, "new and cool" to them and then music labels jump on that opportunity to package and mass produce it to make a fuckton of money.

As such, pop music has been taking more and more cues from electronic music. At some point 20 or 30 years ago people started realizing that there's only so many ways you can play a guitar chord progression and sing about your girlfriend, so as song structure started to stagnate musicians started exploring timbre and texture instead which resulted in the ridiculously complicated synthesizers you hear in electronic music today. After a while that sound crept in to the mainstream and pop has been moving more and more in that direction; songs like S&M certainly have some electronic elements like synth leads and basses, and current pop is even more in that direction with almost exclusively electronic sounds, instrumental choruses, and lyrics used as a sonic tool moreso than to tell a story.

But that's just like... my opinion, man.
Andantonius is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Andantonius
Muse-ic (25-01-2015)
Old 25-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #63
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

Is dubstep'm&m's by Rihanna still hot EDM ?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Chozo Tull
Lug (29-01-2015)
Old 25-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #64
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post
I know this thread has devolved in to shenanigans but I'm gonna post a serious opinion anyways cause I like this topic.

1. Genre names are only useful when talking about music, cause it's easier to say, "country music" than it is to say, "music primarily driven by acoustic guitars, lyrics commonly involving love and adventure, and singers with an accent commonly found in the southern united states." So asking whether something is EDM or Pop or a hybrid of the two is kind of a hollow question which is why some people are being snarky in their response; cause why does it matter as long as the people you're talking to understand what you're saying?

2. Music is constantly evolving, and I think it's reasonable to say that pop music trails a few years behind the current level of musical advancement. People don't like new things, so new things are invented and musicians begin exploring them, and after a few years people start to get used to the sound so it starts sounding, "new and cool" to them and then music labels jump on that opportunity to package and mass produce it to make a fuckton of money.

As such, pop music has been taking more and more cues from electronic music. At some point 20 or 30 years ago people started realizing that there's only so many ways you can play a guitar chord progression and sing about your girlfriend, so as song structure started to stagnate musicians started exploring timbre and texture instead which resulted in the ridiculously complicated synthesizers you hear in electronic music today. After a while that sound crept in to the mainstream and pop has been moving more and more in that direction; songs like S&M certainly have some electronic elements like synth leads and basses, and current pop is even more in that direction with almost exclusively electronic sounds, instrumental choruses, and lyrics used as a sonic tool moreso than to tell a story.

But that's just like... my opinion, man.
Great post.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 25-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #65
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176110
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,100 Posts

@tim

What? Someone had to kill this shit thread. No? It was nicely dying off.

@Andantonius:

You're overthinking the obvious.
thom is offline   Thanks
Old 27-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #66
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45966548
Thanked 1,214 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post
As such, pop music has been taking more and more cues from electronic music. At some point 20 or 30 years ago people started realizing that there's only so many ways you can play a guitar chord progression and sing about your girlfriend, so as song structure started to stagnate musicians started exploring timbre and texture instead which resulted in the ridiculously complicated synthesizers you hear in electronic music today. After a while that sound crept in to the mainstream and pop has been moving more and more in that direction; .
i thought of cher...and madonna because they're like 50 ish

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Old 30-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #67
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278290
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
@tim

What? Someone had to kill this shit thread. No? It was nicely dying off.
I was just a little irked to see you acting like quite such a dick about it.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks
Thanks to deadmau7
thom (30-01-2015)
Old 30-01-2015, 03:53 AM   #68
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Yes. I'll work on my tone.
thom is offline   Thanks
Thanks to thom
deadmau7 (30-01-2015)
Old 30-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #69
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Whenever, you find yourself wondering whether a song is Eeh Dee Ehm, ask yourself two simple questions:
  1. Is it electronic?
  2. Can people dance to it?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, then you are listening to electronic dance music.

EDM is not a genre. Similarly to how Orchestral Music is not a genre, or rock music, or hip-hop. These terms describe kinds of music which employ certain instrumentation and techniques. They are like the species to the genus. A genus of EDM might be Trance, for example.

/thread
Jaded is offline   Thanks
Old 30-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #70
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Whenever, you find yourself wondering whether a song is Eeh Dee Ehm...

/Livingonthisplanetanymore

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Last edited by Yzarc; 30-01-2015 at 05:40 AM..

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Yzarc
Jaded (30-01-2015)
Old 30-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #71
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Yes. I'll work on my tone.
Actually, you know what?

I won't.

Just look at this fucking thread and the attitude of the OP. My tone was ok. It totally was.
thom is offline   Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 AM   #72
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

IT WAS ME. I CLOSED IT.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #73
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Is going to be another one of those mod revolution threads where we keep dictating the conversation to our users. I love these threads!

[edit] *insert evil laugh here*

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread