Artistserver.com shutting down.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378667
Artistserver.com shutting down.

I think I'm the only one around here that even knows the site. That's a very telling sign.

Unfortunately the site is being shut down due to insufficient revenue. This is very sad to me. I've been paying the monthly fee since it started nearly 10 years ago I think. Similar fee that soundclould asks now. Have tracks on there from when I started making them. Under four different project names.

A site initially made for independent, amateur, any freak artists to host their music. It sprung from a great community. Lots of sharing of music and knowledge like this forum.

The site was created after the demise of MP3.com. Probably the first site to host independent, amateur music online as far as I know. At some point they created a system that paid us artists a piece of their profit according to streams and downloads. Based on a primate chart system. I'm sure with your imagination you can see many artists taking advantage of that system.

Many sit at home artists made a lot of money. Many at the time trending artists made more. Many good legitimate, touring artists made some too. Lots of trance artists were topping the charts then. Some good trip hop acts, some good folk acts too. Somewhat diverse.

I actually made around $2500 over a few years just pushing my newb tracks and getting lucky to be featured a couple times for some stand out tracks someone liked. It was all about the charts. You get a boost and you'd get listened to and paid regardless your quality.

That business model failed of course. The site is something else now.

We had a very good group of electronic musicians that kept a tight communication on the MP3.com forums.

One guy, Gideon or Sonic Wallpaper (his artist name) created a site to host us electronic artists after MP3.com shut down. It was always a simple site really but good hosting for mp3s of any quality, outside streaming and downloads. A very large space to host files and images.

Such a great site and idea from someone not unlike you or me.

The difference is artistserver was just a mom & pop store really. Inevitability in this case.

Bummed.

Last edited by Focalized; 01-09-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357173
Re: Artistserver.com shutting down.

yeah after about 2003 that site went nowhere. i recall complaints by people like me and subtronik were ignored as people like DJ Gerard (i think he still spams the living shit out of that site) had their way with the place.

DJ Gerard if you're wondering
http://www.artistserver.com/djgerard

somehow this didn't cause SC to fail. i think because they found ways to make money off of those people..at least AS had hi-fi streaming, SC seems to think everyone still uses dial-up modems..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378667

I'd get 1000's of listens in my stats over some time. No idea where they came from.

I remember something about a link to a music streaming whatever that would generate hits that never really were genuine. As in an interested listener. I think the site just got lost in itself. Not able to be part of it all.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
Ziplok
Learning The Ropes
Ziplok is currently spamming hard
Atlanta, Georgia
MC Status: 10

yeah its sad to see that GREAT site dissapear. i was a member as Ziplok for years and years and years. since 2006.

Advertisements

Ziplok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote