Worth signing to a music label in the modern music climate?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110
Worth signing to a music label in the modern music climate?

I've been making music for around a decade now, and things seem to be changing so much. Usually I'll submit my music to labels, but with the advent of youtube promotional channels like Funky Panda, and MrSuicidalSheep I wonder if its worth paying for my own mastering and using their promo to direct to beatport/bandcamp and so on?

Is it worth really signing to labels anymore?

Advertisements

Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Histronics
Alert (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Worth signing to a music label in the modern music climate?

running a label i will say yes it is, dependant on what you want for your music. electronic music is mostly release on a contract per track/release basis so if anything signing with a label is just an added promo opportunity to bolster your own self releases and so on
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Alert (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
running a label i will say yes it is, dependant on what you want for your music. electronic music is mostly release on a contract per track/release basis so if anything signing with a label is just an added promo opportunity to bolster your own self releases and so on
Depends, at least with a self release I can get payed. Most labels just pocket all the money and never pay their artists. A label gets me promotion, but these big youtube channels can get me even more since they are the size of big labels. I could just pay a mastering engineer myself. But the downsize is recouping the costs of that.
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Benwaa

^^the reason most artists don't see a bean is because the label has to recoup the costs of the mastering and promotion too. personally (if i had the time) i would suggest that a combination of both is ultimately the best way forward. Beatport is about to turn much more social network and tbh it looks rather good and encompassing enough to be successful. In terms of labels though i will say you really have to know that the label is going to push you and your release before you sign the dotted line
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histronics View Post
Depends, at least with a self release I can get payed. Most labels just pocket all the money and never pay their artists. A label gets me promotion, but these big youtube channels can get me even more since they are the size of big labels. I could just pay a mastering engineer myself. But the downsize is recouping the costs of that.
The costs are pretty affordable on a per track basis, you can find much around the $45USD mark...and Pretty sure Benwaa will do it for 15 Euros

It's useful to diversify your portfolio with multiple ways and channels through which to release your music; labels AND direct sales.

The nice part about the label taking all the profits (well 95%), is they have a financial stake in your music being more successful as a result. If the label is good, puts out known artists within a particular genre, gets lots of blog play, DJ support, etc, that can go a long way for getting fans to those tracks that you master yourself and make all the profits on. With so many ways for people to get your sounds, it's more of a shotgun of exposure where you are more likely to get your sounds in front of more people as a result of the spread.

See also: remixing tracks for other artists.

Advertisements

PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote