ABLETON LIVE: User/FAQ thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 17-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #41
Unique Beats
Unique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 56114726
Re: ableton...looking for beginners guide

Vector you should look at Ableton Intro then...99, also means you can upgrade to Ableton Live at a cheaper rate in future.

Advertisements

------------------
Smell my cheese you mother!
Unique Beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #42
Vector
Learning The Ropes
Vector is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks Unique Beats, didn't see that one while perusing the Ableton site. Somehow the lower price tag of Intro takes the pressure off Live's learning curve

And thanks Sublimator for the daily tips link.
Vector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Newly registered and eagerly looking forward to seeing this link. Ableton rocks but is pretty complex and I'm having a hard time getting my head around it. A 30 day trial might not be long enough to dive into all the features, hell it's taken days just to browse the Live library.
30 day trial isn't close to long enough to figure out Live I've been using it for a year, and I learn new shit everyday. Like you can use one knob to control on/off, freq, and res of a filter, very handy indeed.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #44
dreaded
dreaded is a name known to alldreaded is a name known to alldreaded is a name known to alldreaded is a name known to alldreaded is a name known to alldreaded is a name known to all
Pensacola, FL
MC Status: 587

Here is another great book for Live8-

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
dreaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #45
nk88
Learning The Ropes
nk88 is currently spamming hard

@inok me too.
nk88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #46
CreoleboyMus
Learning The Ropes
CreoleboyMus is currently spamming hard

Greetings to everyone - I'm new to the forum! : )

I was looking for a guide to getting started in Ableton Live, but found that when you install and open the software there is a help guide on the left for getting started. This takes you through setting up your audio and midi ins&outs then a tour of Live, then how to record, use instruments, create beats and DJing.

If that isn't enough, at the bottom of the help screen is a link to the Ableton reference manual which opens up a +500 page PDF document which covers everything a newcomer to the software will need to know.

I use Ableton Live 8 - so it may be different for other versions. But it seems there is plenty of help available already. I installed Ableton about 4 days ago - read through the manuals and am now comfortably using it to record songs. Obviously there are still things that are new, but thats half the fun for me!
CreoleboyMus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #47
tomasdrayton
Granular Poster
tomasdrayton is currently spamming hard
London
MC Status: 11

Ableton is definitely a great programme to use! I'd recommend buying one of the Ableton Live Power! books by John Margulies - you can find it on amazon pretty easily.

Ableton can be really confusing when you first use it, I remember my first evening with it was spent trying to record a drum pattern to be in time on my computer keypad despite extreme latency because I hadn't realised I could draw it in with the pencil tool!

The Ableton Live Power book would be quite a challenge to read in one go, but it's so handy to have next to your computer as it has in-depth details of how to use almost every aspect of live. I bought this book after about a year of slugging away at the 'try it and see what happens' method and being close to just giving it up as none of the production ever sounded right, but once I started to properly learn what everything did it has all come into place and I haven't looked back!

Using this forum is also particularly helpful as there is a few people on here you can pretty much rely on to always give you good helpful answers (Shotguns and Evelon's posts always seem to help me, and thats just to name a few!)

Hope this has been helpfull anway!
tomasdrayton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Four Tet - There Is Love In You (Great new album!)
Old 28-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #48
Baconstyle
Radial Developer
Baconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to all
Tokyo
MC Status: 590

I love this thread. I just started using Ableton Live the other day, and figuring out these programs is very difficult. I wish sequencing was as easy as it is in Reason 4 (quite possibly the most straightforward, easiest sequencer there is)... but Ableton seems to be much more powerful.
Baconstyle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #49
ambientlite
Granular Poster
ambientlite is a jewel in the roughambientlite is a jewel in the roughambientlite is a jewel in the roughambientlite is a jewel in the rough
Colorado
MC Status: 317

I have been using Ableton and exporting clips as wav files, but then using Reason's sequencer. Look for the video interviews with Claude VonStroke. This is more or less his workflow. Reason's sequences is so easy and basic to use, easy to create fades, etc.
ambientlite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #50
Baconstyle
Radial Developer
Baconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to allBaconstyle is a name known to all
Tokyo
MC Status: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientlite View Post
I have been using Ableton and exporting clips as wav files, but then using Reason's sequencer. Look for the video interviews with Claude VonStroke. This is more or less his workflow. Reason's sequences is so easy and basic to use, easy to create fades, etc.
I hear that. But it seems designed the opposite way around. After all, when you open them both together Reason operates in slave mode.
Interesting idea, nonetheless. I like the idea of making things easier.
Baconstyle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #51
Spilt Milk
Learning The Ropes
Spilt Milk is currently spamming hard

First time Live noob here, thanks to everyone for posting up some links.
Spilt Milk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #52
Filthstift
Regular Freak
Filthstift is currently spamming hard

Rewiring Reason through Ableton is a great way to mix sounds together!
Routing is cool....
Filthstift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #53
lloydf2308
Learning The Ropes
lloydf2308 is currently spamming hard

also a newbee here really wanting to learn ableton ive gotta wait 24 hours to see what links have been put up on here but by the looks of things ive hit the jackpot, cheers for the info guys will look forward to seeing what tips have been put up
lloydf2308 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #54
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
Ableton live performance template

Hey all,
I just did a performance about a week ago with Live, and have put together a template. I thought that some people that use this program for performance might be interested in checking it out and seeing how I do things. I always find it interesting to see how other people use the same software- gets the ideas flowing. If anyone shows interest I will post a link.

Keep in mind this is tailored to my set up of a launchpad and bcf, but the ideas and some of the techniques for setting up racks could be useful for anyone really.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

------------------
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #55
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC
MC Status: 5055099
Re: Ableton live performance template

Record a video demo'ing it and explain all the features! That's going help way more!
shotguns is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #56
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist

Right on-

I'll get around to doing a screen capture with explanation and some playing around with the effects chains and what not.

------------------
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #57
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC

Yeah, remember: People are always WAY more inclined to learn if their only obligation is to sit on their ass and listen.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #58
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist

ha. Yeah I know it.

The thing is- that's probably the way you'll absorb the least amount of knowledge. Laziness is such a plague.

------------------
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #59
howiegroove
Eternal Echoer
howiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MChowiegroove is a savage MC
MC Status: 72917

Dude, I would love to play around with a template!

------------------
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and Soundcloud!
Disco Sticks now out on Beatport!
howiegroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #60
shotguns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
ha. Yeah I know it.

The thing is- that's probably the way you'll absorb the least amount of knowledge. Laziness is such a plague.
Well, that's up to us to cure, isn't it? We just have to make stuff exciting enough to get them out of their chairs and get STOKED ON IT!

I'd gladly post my templates but I'd definently have to adapt them a bit because I'm not sure if I have any that is completly made up of bundled stuff.

Edit: OH WAIT I do. More of a live jamming template but yeah..

Advertisements