Do you have a template setup for your DAW - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 28-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #21
Benwaa
Re: Do you have a template setup for your DAW

Nobody moved it here. It's started in the wrong place. So it's now moved to the studio so there is no "fair game" BS

I'm really tired of this attitude, mainly from guys who've been here more than long enough to know better IMO. It's getting rather sad, and tbh people I held in high regard are really dropping down in that respect.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #22
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Okay I understand your point. No more issues from me.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199647118
Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,193 Posts

I don't use templates but every time I'm bored and watching YouTube tuts and I see someone with one I always think it could be useful. I guess I'm too lazy to set one up, either that or I just never remember to take the time to set one up. But if I did it would be minimal. Couple audio tracks, couple midi tracks, I'd leave the midi tracks empty instrument wise and have a compressor and eq on all of them. That'd probably be it.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #24
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421875429
Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,861 Posts

I've got a template for "I need to bang out some track in a day because I need a new song for the next live gig." Otherwise I don't use 'em.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #25
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Absolutely. There are certain things that are present in the majority of my tracks, so no reason to waste my time setting those things up every time. I tend to use buses a lot, so I have a bunch of groups created and tracks routed to them. One reverb and one delay FX track for sends to begin with. A spectrum analyzer on master so I can just solo a track and look at the frequency range. A brickwall limiter on master to protect my monitors and ears in case some plugin freaks out and produces some loud horrible noise. Stuff like that. Doesn't mean I can't load a blank project if I so chose to do, so I don't think they "limit my creativity" or any crap like that. They are really great for those moments when the inspiration really strikes and you can quickly sketch things out, since a lot of stuff is already pre-loaded. And anything can always be swapped out at any time later.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
Absolutely. There are certain things that are present in the majority of my tracks, so no reason to waste my time setting those things up every time. I tend to use buses a lot, so I have a bunch of groups created and tracks routed to them. One reverb and one delay FX track for sends to begin with. A spectrum analyzer on master so I can just solo a track and look at the frequency range. A brickwall limiter on master to protect my monitors and ears in case some plugin freaks out and produces some loud horrible noise. Stuff like that. Doesn't mean I can't load a blank project if I so chose to do, so I don't think they "limit my creativity" or any crap like that. They are really great for those moments when the inspiration really strikes and you can quickly sketch things out, since a lot of stuff is already pre-loaded. And anything can always be swapped out at any time later.
Yep, templates here too - well one.

It includes one instance of Battery, my master channel fx (yes my master channel!!! Sue me!!!), a couple of audio tracks and the aux busses setup with my console emu.

I overcome the myth of 'limiting creativity' by living by the mantra 'stop wasting time!!!'

My method has resulted in an average of an extra 11.3 bars of music per studio session!!!

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

Fuck templates. Tried it. It was crap. Im rolling with the ableton stock template.

I feel it just limits me to keep on doing what I did the track before. Ive found that the first hour of a new track is the most important one. The first hour of creation is what defines the track and so on. And I dont want a template to hold me back in shackles while my creativity flows.

Keep it simple.

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Nope, I just start with an empty project.

Used to make lots of beat mashing templates in Renoise (in the style of Exile's "the Finger") but never got around to using them as a basis for songwriting, more just for jam sessions.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #29
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

I've already stated my view on this on another similar thread and it ended up having people being encouraged to create one for themselves. Templates saves you time. And I'm sure time is what everyone needs at the moment. Especially for those who can't do music for more than 2-10 hours a week.

I can't imagine me having to load every plugin, vsts, re bussing all my groups, creating groups, creating folders, naming, color schemes for every new project that I open up. One should be able to open up a project and everything should be there and smooth based on the producer's workflow.

You've got nothing to lose in creating a template that suits you.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
Muse-ic (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #30
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I think I just found out that I save songs the way normal people save templates (because I'm stupid about how Live saves files). I end up lumping every song into one project file and I often reuse weird configurations from older songs, so in my own weird way I probably do make templates reuse them quite a bit. Templates are really good for when you have a not-so-perfect kind of inspiration happening.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #31
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947581
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post
Yep, templates here too - well one.

It includes one instance of Battery, my master channel fx (yes my master channel!!! Sue me!!!), a couple of audio tracks and the aux busses setup with my console emu.

I overcome the myth of 'limiting creativity' by living by the mantra 'stop wasting time!!!'

My method has resulted in an average of an extra 11.3 bars of music per studio session!!!
I have an eq, compressor and a limiter on the master channel in every project I have ever done. It gets bypassed when I render out a mix and I always a/b without it throughout but hey, fuck it, I mix into a simple pseudo-mastering chain. I shall be a co-defendant in this lawsuit.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Grain Bastard (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #32
TANQIR
Soundwave Mangler
TANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to behold
Melbourne
MC Status: 660

I only do it when i play around on a plug in and get a sound i like, i save that and use it for further use
TANQIR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23110

I usually set up a bass, lead, drum, and atmosphere section with 2 midi channels and 2 audio channels in each

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #34
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455

I've battled with this myself. I think its a very fine line between creating a template that will get you off the starting line quicker when inspiration strikes vs hindering your creativity. Certainly don't allow anything that will actually influence your sound, but I think if you know you will be using particular plugs on your returns or say a mono/stereo check on your master, perhaps a silent kick trigger for sidechaining, particular synths that you are sure you'll use.

you get the idea
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #35
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I usually set up a bass, lead, drum, and atmosphere section with 2 midi channels and 2 audio channels in each
I dig that approach. I have a loose template for cubase and reason just so I don't spend an hour moving cables around every song. I leave the instruments blank though. Especially if I am noodling and trying to get some interesting new vibes.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #36
opiumflirt
Regular Freak
opiumflirt has a spectacular aura aboutopiumflirt has a spectacular aura aboutopiumflirt has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Ableton is great for this. You can set up the default template by opening a blank template and adding fx channels, putting plugins on tracks etc. and then going into properties and "save as default template" or smth similar.

Also, audio effect racks are great for this. Group your plugins on one track together and save the group. F.ex. "vocals basic". That would mean a low-cut, compressor, autotune, deesser for example.

I myself have a single midi track and audio track on the default template. As well as 5 auxes: 2 reverbs, 2 delays and a distortion. Master bus is treated as well with comp and limiter.

Makes for a faster workflow
opiumflirt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #37
ahriman22
Minor Glitch
ahriman22 has a spectacular aura aboutahriman22 has a spectacular aura about
Montreal
MC Status: 160

I do indeed have a template for Live.

3 tracks, one an empty MIDI track, one an empty Audio track and the last is a MIDI track with External Instrument plug-in on it. On my master I have a limiter and EQ8 (Turned off).

I also changed the default track volumes in Live to all be -8db. At 0db I often forget to turn things down enough, so its already done for me.
ahriman22 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
suspension
Microknight
suspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond repute
NYC
MC Status: 2110

I keep a "Band" template in Logic that fires up 2 guitars, a bass, vocal track and EZ drummer channel and one empty instrument chan. Plugins, tuners etc all set up. It helps expedite the process especially when I'm jotting down songwriting ideas. I've yet to do it in Ableton though - I like the blank slate concept with electronic production

------------------
suspension is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I recently set up a new template for Reaper. It's like this...

My headphones I recently realised are way too midrangey and don't sound right compared to my speakers.
But I did figure out the exact EQ settings that fool my ears into thinking that the headphones sound almost OK.

So I created a VST effect chain of the EQ settings and put them on a special channel track with the headphones icon on it.
And I re-routed the audio outputs of just that track to go directly to the soundcard, bypassing the master channel and outputs. This involved disabling the "parent send" type of thing in just that channel.

Then I disabled the master channel output just in case I got confused in the future. I also disabled the special headphones channel too. I then saved everything as a project default template so it gets loaded up every time I being Reaper.

In use, I start up a project and start by enabling the master channel output (which goes directly to the soundcard).
If I accidentally then import a media file into the headphones track, all I have to do is drag it down one notch in the GUI and Reaper automatically places the media onto a fresh new track with all the normal routings.

At that point, I can hear everything totally as normal in my speakers.
I can then work on the project totally as normal. I add tracks and do what's normal and save the project as needed.

But if I suddenly need to hush up and use headphones, all I have to do is disable the master output again on the master channel, and turn the headphones track into a folder track. Since it's then a folder track at the top of the screen, everything below it gets routed into the EQ'd headphones. All I have to do is then enable the headphones channel's soundcard output and unmute it if I had muted it before.

It might seem like a lot of steps on paper, but it actually only takes a few seconds to do all that. And it's much faster than the alternatives.

The nice thing is, I duplicated the exact headphones EQ settings and chain in Foobar2000 media player with the VST effect chain extension. So if I want to playback any of my tune library in headphones with EQ, I can do that too, and it will sound the same as in Reaper. If I need to disable it, that's fine too, because it's saved as a DSP chain as well as the reset configuration. I also use a few other media players that have no EQ settings at all if I need to quickly play a tune on speakers without fussing with settings.

I know people say you shouldn't EQ headphones, but I have found over several years that it's a crucial step in my DAW configuration because I can't afford 900 dollar headphones. The best setup I had in the past was when I had the Audio-Technica ATH-M30s and EQ'ed then just slighly to enhance the bass up to normal using a really simple hardware EQ. It worked perfectly and I split the output of my soundcard so that just the headphones were EQ'd and not the monitors. I took a picture of the settings on the EQ and saved it in my DAW in case the hardware got messed with.

The huge advantage of this is that when you are working on a tune, you can switch back and forth between headphones and monitors to hear what the mix will sound like at it's best without accidentally messing up the monitors mix just because the headphones aren't good enough to sound normal. Then after it's all done, the mix is good and it tends to sound just fine on normal headphones on a media player used totally normally.

To help me set up the EQ, I change the EQ settings while listening to several very well mixed commercial releases of many different genres until the headphones sound natural and the tunes sound relatively unaltered and good. I know I'm done when just about every tune sounds good.

There will always be a few tunes out of a few hundred that don't sound right, but that's usually because that tune has mix issues. And this whole process lets me learn the pitfalls of other people's mixes too.

The downside is that to do this, my ears have to be ready. I can't have listened to noise or loud sounds during that day. I need to have had plenty of sleep. And if I spend too much time doing it, I get ear fatigue and it doesn't work. But like I said, this technique has been working out for me for several years now. And now I know which tunes I bought that were mixed well to use as references each time. I only use WAV's and FLAC's--no MP3's or M4A's or OGG's.

Good luck to anybody else who tries this.
peace.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #40
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23110

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
I dig that approach. I have a loose template for cubase and reason just so I don't spend an hour moving cables around every song. I leave the instruments blank though. Especially if I am noodling and trying to get some interesting new vibes.
hmm do you record analog gear? I just recently got some analog equipment so I will be changing some things I think.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote