Curious about the DAW's role in production
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 25-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
qantuum
Minor Glitch
qantuum has a spectacular aura aboutqantuum has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Curious about the DAW's role in production

Hello my good fellows,

I am happy to share some thougts about music with this community in every topic I create.
Today I got curious about how a business model is working for producers and I came up with some questions to understand better how it is done. I hope you will accept to share your experience. Also, I find it interesting to ask why is a given DAW better than another one.

I hope I arrive in the good section of the forum with this, if you are a moderator feel free to move it.

So let's say you produced something with a Fruity Loops for example, and that you would like to sell it to a label and get copyright and everything :
- Do you owe anything to the company giving you Fruity Loops ?
- Do you owe anything to the companies you got some VSTs from ?
- Is there any control authority that come and confirm you Fruity Loops is legit and not a cracked version ?
- Who here works exclusively with legit softwares ? Personnally I use LMMS because it is free, but a frien of mine also gave me an unlegit Fruity Loops.

Also to develop about differences between DAWs.

Why would you choose a GarageBand over an Ableton over a Fruity Loops over?
The differences could be about (in my unexperimented mind) : GUI more or less clear end enjoyable, technical capacities, compatible VSTs, price, quality of built-in samples and presets (but now we find samples and presets everywhere).

I got this thoughts just by telling to myself that I would be nothing without my DAW, as I do not even know how to play the piano nor record anything played on instrument on professional quality, at the moment.

Feedback will be appreciated, much thanks for reading

Have some popcorn

Edit : Well my in my title is SAW instead of DAW, sorry I cannot change it.

Last edited by qantuum; 25-08-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Advertisements

qantuum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts
Re: Curious about the SAW's role in production

- Do you owe anything to the company giving you Fruity Loops ?
Nope

- Do you owe anything to the companies you got some VSTs from ?
Nope

- Is there any control authority that come and confirm you Fruity Loops is legit and not a cracked version ?
I've heard some rumours that maybe there are, but it seems unlikely and I don't really care enough to research this.

- Who here works exclusively with legit softwares ? Personnally I use LMMS because it is free, but a frien of mine also gave me an unlegit Fruity Loops.
Many many people use only legit paid and free software, especially now that you have DAWs like Reaper available and so many good freeware vsts out there.

Also to develop about differences between DAWs.

Why would you choose a GarageBand over an Ableton over a Fruity Loops over?
The differences could be about (in my unexperimented mind) : GUI more or less clear end enjoyable, technical capacities, compatible VSTs, price, quality of built-in samples and presets (but now we find samples and presets everywhere).
This is often just due to preference and exposure. I use reason mostly because I'm used to it.

Saws are pretty important too. That have a very bright sound - lots of harmonics!

Last edited by Oatbag; 25-08-2017 at 05:30 PM..

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts
Re: Curious about the DAW's role in production

Quote:
Originally Posted by qantuum View Post
Not to worry, I know someone who can.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
localspace
Minor Glitch
localspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: Curious about the DAW's role in production

Most of the softwares I use is legit.. not that I'm that much against piracy.. it's more about investing in my own craft. And being able to get support is nice.

-I don't owe Native Instruments anything. Maybe Izotope a little because they offered me a great discount when they didn't have to.
-other companies neither.. I paid them already. They owe me support and updates, if anything.
-yeah there is.. they don't really come after individuals though. I've never heard about in the music business so it's probably not something to worry about. It's just kind of lame to use software semi-professionally and not paying for it. It's not like the stuff is that expensive these days. My best compressor was 20 euro.
-not exclusively. I try to though.. that's more about supporting companies I like and think make innovative products. Friends of mine have little companies like that, so I can identify with that. The moment they start fucking with USB dongles and DRM shit like that, I'm out though. If you don't trust me as a customer then I'm gonna behave like that too

I ditched my DAW for now.. just sticking to my Maschine and hardware synth for now, limitations are good.

Advertisements

localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote